Non-motoring > Home buildings and contents insurance Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 3

Home buildings and contents insurance - Manatee
Usual story of massive variation in premiums.

When we moved into the new house a year ago, it wasn't then signed off by Building Control. Obvs I needed insurance (last house burnt down!) and my site insurance ran out about the time I wanted to move in. I didn't want to risk just not mentioning it, so I went to a broker recommended by the people who did the site insurance and structural warranty, who fixed me up with a policy for £700 with a waiver for the building regs sign off.

It's now signed off so I asked the broker for a renewal price. They recommended an alternative at £620. The rebuild cost is c. £580k, and I had a claim in 2019 for about £250,000. Maybe it was a reasonable quote.

I have done the comparison site thing this morning and ticked every box - legal cover, lock replacement, home emergency, cycle cover etc. £224 with Esure. I can't find the catch so I've bought it. Not a bad morning's work really.

Aren't they supposed to offer the same premium to existing and new customers now, or was that just motor?
 Home buildings and contents insurance - Zero

>> Aren't they supposed to offer the same premium to existing and new customers now, or
>> was that just motor?
>
It was just hot air. When I got my renewal in for LV Motor, I did an anonymous quote with them.
lower than my renewal, so I dumped them. Same for my house and pet insurance.
 Home buildings and contents insurance - Bromptonaut
>> It was just hot air. When I got my renewal in for LV Motor, I
>> did an anonymous quote with them.
>> lower than my renewal, so I dumped them. Same for my house and pet insurance.

LV/Britannia are quoting me over £200 for breakdown etc cover for our cars. This is the super de luxe product for 2 cars AND personal cover including Europe etc.

The Meercats found me a quote with the LV which covered most of those bases for around £100.
 Home buildings and contents insurance - R.P.
Last few years been insured with Direct Line, an al singing, all dancing policy with lots of extra cover. In 2019 it cost £425. We had a £7000 claim over whart appeared to be an CH oil leak in Sept 2018, in Feb 2019 we re-newed and it cost over £600.00, fair enough, DL said we would be on a premium penalty until 2022. Last year it was £675 - which I managed to bring down to £580. This year it was £675 - phoned them up and they dropped to £508 without batting an eyelid. It's all really odd.

Latest Forum Posts