Non-motoring > Doggie advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 7

Doggie advice - Bobby
My 3 year old lab hates fireworks. We have had noises from fireworks since the end of October and even last night since were still getting set off.

He used to be a dog of routine and finished his day off with a 10 min walk then went to bed. Nowadays after his morning walk he refuses to leave the house. Was always up at the door if anyone was leaving, hoping to be getting a walk. He will only leave the house after that morning walk if he knows he’s going in the car.

He will come in the car to peoples houses But won’t go outside for a walk. I have started parking at end of street on my return and he will jump out and basically walk/ run back to the house. Even letting him out the back garden for toilet at night and he refuses to go. So he sometimes goes from 12 noon till 10am the next day without toileting.

Throughout fireworks he seemed to find solace by lying in front of the fridge, no idea why in particular there but left him to it if that have him comfort.

But now he keeps migrating to there from his bed and I have now placed the clothes horse there to try and break that habit.

Next weekend we go up north with friends to a dog friendly cottage. Don’t know whether to take him or not. On one side, I am thinking it may help break his routine that he has got into. But on the other hand, I don’t want to be having to fight with a dog every time we are wanting to go out a walk or whatever!

Any thoughts/ ideas/ input?
 Doggie advice - R.P.
I would consider taking him away and see whether it breaks the habit. Our Springer is terrified of fireworks and it takes a few days to get back to his old self. Since the last lot of fireworks he's taken to living in the dining room ( I belive this is either due to TV noises or that it's become to hot for him following the firing up of the wood-burner), but his behaviour has changed since the summer. He rarely barks when we arrive home (which he always has done) but will bark at passers by. Very strange/
 Doggie advice - Dog
Dogs is funny people, my Engerlish Pointer spends most of the day lazing on a leather chair in the sunroom.

When I use my electric razor in there, he runs orf into the lounge until I have finished shaving.

He does this because it sounds exactly like the device I use to finish orf his claws after I have cut them with the clippers.

Hypnotherapy or emotional feedback would help a psychological issue like that, but I can't see it working on animals.

I've sold the property now and will be shaving in the bathroom in future, like 'normal' people :)

Doggie advice - zippy
After the near fatal attack suffered by doggy Z, 11 months ago, she had real problems walking past the house where the incident happened, she would sit or hunch down and refuse to move, which is awkward as it's the only way to the road.

Doggy loves Mrs Z more than anyone else and tolerates me. We have noticed, in times of fireworks or thunder storms she choses me as a comfort (as I'm clearly the largest of the pack).

So, to get her to pass the house, I took her and kept her very close by keeping the leash short with me between the house and her. A few times with the traverses being fine I moved her between the house and me and after half a dozen times she seemed to be fine. Perhaps something similar would help?

A different issue we have currently is doggy gets very wary of passing cars. She never used to be afraid of cars. I suspect that it's either that her hearing or eyesight is going and the cars surprise her as they suddenly appear.
 Doggie advice - bathtub tom
I've only ever had a springer and an old mongrel, neither were bothered by noises/fireworks. The springer was taken into field by a colleague who wondered if she'd make a good gundog, got her to sit next to him while he discharged a 12-bore into the air. She scanned the sky - pass!

MIL had a failed guide dog that was very nervous around roads. When she ran headlong into a cricket net I realised she had very poor eyesight.
 Doggie advice - smokie
"MIL had a failed guide dog that was very nervous around roads. When she ran headlong into a cricket net I realised she had very poor eyesight."

Surprised the dog didn't stop her, though you did say a failed guide dog... :-)
 Doggie advice - Zero
Dog and fireworks is strange. My old lab was scared witless by fireworks, a shivering wreck. Took her on a shoot, and she quickly migrated to gun line work, where she was rock steady, fearless and reliable with the gunfire all around, retrieved really well. Was always terrified of fireworks tho.

Its all about location and context.

As owners we can imprint our fears for the dog, on the dog. "Oh fido fireworks, come here, you ok? pet pet cuddle cuddle". You can see how that turns out.

Having said that it can be natural, my older goldie wasn't scared of fireworks, now is. My young goldie couldn't give a fig.

Yes take the dog, you are right the new location, circumstances will break the dogs current pattern. Dogs can be very routine and pattern driven, think how you teach, encourage and nurture an autistic child, and you have the perfect recipe for dog training.

So at the new location, bung in routines you want to take back home, encourage them with praise, treats fun and games.

never worry about or forcibly change the dogs sleeping habits routines or locations. Thats your phobia at work not the dogs, dont burden your phobia on the dog. Mine kip as, where, and when they like, it varies throughout the day and night, there is a place where bedding is which they use if they want to. Its not a problem.
 Doggie advice - martin aston
I don’t want to play down the issue but my son had a timely experience.

His neighbour adopted a young dog a few months ago. When November approached they were discussing dogs and fireworks. “He’ll be OK” they said “He was born in a war zone”. My son asked where, “Bosnia”came the reply.

My son didn’t like to tell him the war ended in 2001. Anyway the dog was indeed OK.
Latest Forum Posts