Non-motoring > Scottish Independence Referendum Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 14

Scottish Independence Referendum - martin aston
As a Scot living in England I won’t get a vote if the rules are the same as last time. This despite my legal nationality changing in the event it results in independence. This is hardly democratic.
It’s assumed that I would still be allowed to remain in England but that’s not guaranteed. Also will my state pension continue to be paid in the country where I have paid my taxes for fifty years? Again you would assume they will make a transition. However nothing is guaranteed.

For the wider U.K. population I think there are lots of reasons for concern. It would be expensive for both countries for a start. Another potential big issue is a mainland border between two currently joined countries. The madder the world becomes then the more of a headache that could be. For example a left wing Scotland might forge alliances that are not attractive to the rest of the island. Another unintended consequence would be to give the Conservatives a permanent majority in the remainder of the U.K. Or whatever it would be called.

I don’t doubt that my fellow Scots could make some sort of a go of it but the splitting of the country would be sub-optimal. It’s hard to see how Scotland would not be a poorer country by losing so many U.K. government jobs, economies of scale and the Barnett formula.

However it’s all too easy to underestimate the emotional pull for a lot of Scots to be independent. It is already a country with a distinct history and traditions. Dismissing it as a glorified county that should be grateful for English largesse plays into SNP hands.

Messages Author Date
 Scottish Independence Referendum  Duncan 28 Jun 22 22:32
 Scottish Independence Referendum  smokie 28 Jun 22 22:57
 Scottish Independence Referendum  zippy 28 Jun 22 23:20
 Scottish Independence Referendum  sooty123 29 Jun 22 07:43
 Scottish Independence Referendum  Zero 29 Jun 22 08:35
 Scottish Independence Referendum  martin aston 29 Jun 22 11:14
 Scottish Independence Referendum  martin aston 28 Jun 22 23:24
 Scottish Independence Referendum  Kevin 28 Jun 22 23:58
 Scottish Independence Referendum  CGNorwich 29 Jun 22 00:12
 Scottish Independence Referendum  Terry 29 Jun 22 09:22
 Scottish Independence Referendum  Manatee 29 Jun 22 10:03