Computer Related > Strange email. Computing Issues
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 6

Strange email. - Ted
Got this today, twice.

CLOSURE OF ACCOUNT REQUEST

Dear Member ,

This is a feedback from your earlier request with instructions to close your MAIL account.

Note that your request is now being processed and we need you to confirm the account closure request.

If you didn't initiate the account closure request, click the Cancel Closure Request button immediately and login with your e-mail to cancel and update your account.

CANCEL CLOSURE REQUEST

Failure to cancel this request, your account will shutdown automatically after 48 Hours.

If you do not want the new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy to apply to you, you will no longer be able to access your account. If you would like the contents of your email account, you may obtain a copy of your data by clicking here

Thank you for your time and cooperation.
Oath (US) Limited
Shropshire House, 11-20 Capper Street, London WC1E 6JA
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service.

It came from ...miller@meltel.net... and seemingly also went to 41 other email addresses, all with an ntlworld.com address, like mine is. I haven't made any request to cancel, whatever it is !

It, and all the names in it, mean nothing to me. There is a box to fill in if you don't want cancelling but all it asks is for you to sign in to your email account...with password !

Scam ? someone after hijacking my account ? Any ideas? Virgin Media run my email, etc.

I haven't taken the bait.

Ted

typo in header corrected
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Jan 22 at 02:51
 Strange email. - RichardW

>>
>> If you didn't initiate the account closure request, click the Cancel Closure Request button immediately
>> and login with your e-mail to cancel and update your account.
>>

And then

>>
>> Scam ? someone after hijacking my account ? Any ideas? Virgin Media run my email,
>> etc.
>>

Undoubtedly... get you to use your credentials to log in on a false page and then hack your e-mail.
 Strange email. - zippy
I get 3 or 4 emails a year from clients asking to transfer large sums (its B2B banking so it's always large sums) to another account.

The email addresses are always valid as the client's account has been hacked. What gives it away is that there are usually lots of spolling orrors.

Also, our app is easier to use than sending an email so all emails requesting funds are treated with suspicion.
 Strange email. - Kevin
>I get 3 or 4 emails a year from clients asking to transfer large sums..

I'm surprised you allow ANY account requests by email.

>The email addresses are always valid as the client's account has been hacked.

The email addresses shown by your email client mean absolutely nothing, nada, zilch. They can be anything the email sender wants them to be. I could send you an email from potus@whitehouse.gov if I wanted. The only way to see where an email has actually come from is to check the headers. Even then you have to trust that the originating machine and any relay hasn't messed with them before they reach you. I'd bet that very few email users know how to even view the headers never mind interpret them.
 Strange email. - zippy
Just for clarification we don’t. We do allow clients to tell us they are going to be requesting payments so the system can be set up to allow them.

Our email system is very good at filtering out dodgy emails. Of course we get some. There is a match against known email addresses and I am told that the system checks that they come from where they “say they are coming from”.

Strange email. - Zero

>> be anything the email sender wants them to be. I could send you an email
>> from potus@whitehouse.gov if I wanted.

Yeah, whod'ya think started the the attack on the Capitol? Wasn't some horn helmeted shaman, it was some bored techy in Basingstoke. (tho I have heard he does have some outrageous headgear)
 Strange email. - Kevin
>Yeah, whod'ya think started the the attack on the Capitol? Wasn't some
>horn helmeted shaman, it was some bored techy in Basingstoke. (tho I
>have heard he does have some outrageous headgear)

Describing our liturgical headcoverings as 'outrageous' is yet another example of the reprehensible antipastafarian hate-speach spread by those who worship false gods.

www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/18/documentary-follows-pastafarians-strain-for-recognition
Latest Forum Posts