Computer Related > OneDrive problems Computing Issues
Thread Author: James Loveless Replies: 5

OneDrive problems - James Loveless
My PC is set up so that Drive D holds data like documents and photos. Some time ago, I gathered from various sources that if data is saved to Drive D, then OneDrive needs to be transferred from Drive C, where it normally resides, to Drive D, to enable it to function as a data back-up.

A few days ago I moved OneDrive. It seemed that a back-up had taken place, though I had to remove hundreds of duplicated files (pictures, documents) that had been inserted with "Copy" added to the file name.

Since then I have worked on various files which I saved on Drive D. But whenever I check the OneDrive folder the supposedly synchronised files there have not been updated. OneDrive tells me all my files are in sync, which is clearly not true. The copy of the files in the cloud has also not been updated.

Another problem which may or may not be relevant is that OneDrive does not automatically start when the PC boots up, despite being set to do that.

I have tried deleting the OneDrive app and re-installing it, and fiddled with other settings in the app, none of which makes any difference.

If anyone can explain where I'm going wrong I'd be very grateful.

P.S. I've just checked what it's doing now and I see hundreds of "Copy" files are being installed (of photos, it seems, but maybe other files too). The whole thing is becoming a huge waste of time.
Last edited by: James Loveless on Wed 27 Oct 21 at 11:12
 OneDrive problems - No FM2R
Anything leap out at you from reading this link?

adamtheautomator.com/move-onedrive-folder/

Mine is on my F: drive and gives me no grief at all.
Many thanks for this. My first reaction is that I may have cocked up the initial move of OneDrive from Drive C.

I will work through it later.
 OneDrive problems - No FM2R
I cocked mine up the first time I tried to move it. I struggled a lot and whilst I do not remember the details I know that in the end I deleted everything and started again with the move.

So yes, I'd say that was probably where things went pear shaped.
For the time being, I have deleted everything to do with OneDrive.

Being a computer numpty, I have tried to inform myself about OneDrive and it seems its function is not really to provide backup - apparently File History is for that. But apparently File History also stores multiple versions of files, which sounds excessive to me - and you must connect an external drive.

As I already connect an external drive every evening and sync my Drive D (which contains data) with it using the free program GoodSync, I can't see that File History is any use to me.

I'm considering using a utility to do a further backup online of all my data - effectively another copy of Drive D. I know I shall have to pay, since none of the free utilities provide enough storage space for what I need.

At least this way I can actually understand what is happening to my data; with OneDrive I could never work out what it was supposed to do and what it was actually doing. (My intellectual limitation, probably.)
 OneDrive problems - tyrednemotional
If we're being simplistic:

One Drive is targeted at the ability to use files on a multitude of devices, through the medium of synching the various devices via the cloud.

File History is oriented to the restoration of a given version of a file, if it gets changed multiple times over its lifetime.

Neither of them are really a backup solution, though if configured and manipulated appropriately, they can provide elements of backup and recovery, and have the advantage of being largely "hands-off".

Just today, I've implemented File History for my sister-in-law, as there is no way she'll use anything that requires intervention. I suspect any major restoration will require my intervention, but at least much of the data should be there.

Your synch of your D: drive (as long as you do it religiously) is reasonable as backup, but gives you a single point in time restore. (Unless the synch is incremental, I haven't investigated Goodsync).

The "best" regimes allow for restore as is, recover deleted files, and restore to different dates and times.
I backup several machines to a NAS, with a weekly full backup and daily incremental (changes) in between. I retain the backups on an aged basis which gives me pretty comprehensive capability against the above criteria.

The backups are all automated, so "fire and forget", and, on the basis that three locations is the minimum for data security, the backups are periodically copied and stored away from the house.

For a long time, the only thing restored was a single file (permanently) deleted by SWMBO in error. When the hard drive on her laptop expired without warning, however, somebody was hailed as a hero when only 1 hours data out of 15+ years was missing after restore.
Latest Forum Posts