Motoring Discussion > Hope my “luck”continues Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 12

Hope my “luck”continues - Bobby
Drove down from Lanarkshire to Bishop Stortford yesterday. Although I have the BMW maps and travel I also run Google maps on my phone .

When we were approaching Scotch Corner both had our ETA at around 14.15.

Nipped in there for a Greggs then joined the A1 and my BMW nav traffic icon turned red and then my ETA started to climb up until it had reached 20.00 with a delay showing of 330 mins!

My wife did some twittering and discovered a lorry had overturned just at BS and road was closed with air ambulance in place (sadly the driver died).

Meanwhile Google maps plodded on as if nothing was wrong.

As we neared the junction to leave the A1 towards M11 ( I think) both systems then directed me to stay on A1 and took me a different route that eventually joined the A10 and overall I think it only cost me 20 mins or so.

Today we travelled to Dorking. And I have just seen the M25 was closed for 5 hours due to pipe work falling from under a bridge. Reckon we got through this about an hour or two before it happened.

Tomorrow we head to Norfolk. Hope the 25 is fully open by then!

And I think I have now got the BMW sat nav sussed. Ignore the directions that appear on the heads up unit and just follow the white line on map.

Perfect example:
I am on M25 for whatever the miles it was. However instead of just telling me to keep following signs for M25 it would do different routes. So at one junction I had the road off to left or the next junction was signed the A20. So rather than telling me to follow signs for M25 it told me to follow signs for A20. So a half mile or so ahead there is the cut off for A20. It would be easy to remember the last instruction and follow the A20 road. But a glance at the map shows the white route is the M25 but the HUD doesn’t say anything !

And another gripe, Google maps tells you well in advance of a roundabout which direction you are turning. BMW waits till about 200 yards or so to tell you by which time you are into “which lane should I be in”

If I only had Apple CarPlay I think the BMW nav would be binned!
 Messages Author Date
 Hope my “luck”continues new Bobby 18 Jul 21 23:14
 Hope my “luck”continues new Terry 18 Jul 21 23:31
 Hope my “luck”continues new carmalade 19 Jul 21 08:35
 Hope my “luck”continues new martin aston 19 Jul 21 09:11
 Hope my “luck”continues new Bill Payer 19 Jul 21 22:44
 Hope my “luck”continues new Zero 19 Jul 21 08:58
 Hope my “luck”continues new Bobby 19 Jul 21 19:31
 Hope my “luck”continues new R.P. 19 Jul 21 19:57
 Hope my “luck”continues new Zero 19 Jul 21 23:05
 Hope my “luck”continues new Netsur 20 Jul 21 21:04
 Hope my “luck”continues new MD 21 Jul 21 21:59