Computer Related > Powered USB hub Computing Issues
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 8

Powered USB hub - smokie
Each drive goes to a different port though? So I don't imagine (tho not sure) that it'd be a power problem, as the USB spec says how much power to provide per port not overall.

In the past (probably earlier Windows) I'd sometimes find that drivers no longer plugged in were hogging drive letters so new USB devices were recognised but not allocated a letter. But that doesn't sound like your problem either.

Whatever, down to the inevitable questions... :-)

Do you leave the drives permanently plugged in to the PC? If not, do the problems happen only when they are all plugged in, or randomly at other times?

I imagine they will always get the same driver letter if reconnected after having been unplugged, or plugged into a different port. Or do they lose drive letters?

Do the powered ones always work OK and so the problem is only with the unpowered drives?

I wonder what a second PC reboot would do, if anything (just as a fault finding action).

I haven't got a USB hub so can't offer purchasing advice... - save are you sure the PC is USB3, and the drives are too - if not a USB2 hub may be cheaper
 Messages Author Date
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 17 Jan 22 15:41
 Powered USB hub new smokie 17 Jan 22 16:05
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 17:30
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 17:42
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 17 Jan 22 19:01
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 22:02
 Powered USB hub new smokie 18 Jan 22 00:17
 Powered USB hub new Kevin 18 Jan 22 08:05
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 18 Jan 22 08:59
Latest Forum Posts