Computer Related > Powered USB hub Computing Issues
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 8

Powered USB hub - Crankcase
Thanks for the questions. Things wot I have noticed are:

If you restart the PC with the drives plugged in (any or all) the PC won't boot. It will hang at "press del for setup". I've looked in the BIOS, nothing obvious, and I've looked at the drives, and none have (failed) bootable partitions.

So you can only get it to restart by unplugging all the drives. After boot, you put the drives back and then it usually refuses to see one or more. The failures seem to be the unpowered drives, hence my thoughts about power in the first place.

The issues only occur at reboot - once it sees all four drives, they stay happy until reboot again.

Any given drive will always get back the same drive letter it had previously, eventually.

If I put the drives back in the same sockets they just came out of after booting the PC, very often at least one will not be seen by Windows. If I then move the drives into different sockets, Windows will sometimes see everything, sometimes not. If I then put them back as they were, Windows will then sometimes see everything, sometimes not. If I change them around for the nineteenth time, howl at the moon and pay obeisance to the Great God of Importunity with some spare goats entrails, then Windows will sometimes hoik up its skirts, sniff haughtily, and the drives will appear.

They will then stay quite happily until the next reboot, which is when Windows insists on an update, or my ethernet connection disappears for no apparent reason, only coming back after a power cycle.

All the four drives are (at least sold as) USB 3. The PC has three USB3 sockets on the front, which I normally use, another two USB2 sockets on the front, one of which I have to use, and then another two USB 3 and two USB2 on the back, which are in use for the keyboard/mouse/printer/graphics tablet/usb ethernet thingy. Can't easily get to the back so I don't put any drives in there.

So there we are.

I have thought about buying a new reasonably future proofed gaming PC anyway (crikey, you need about two grand, don't you!) but I'm not quite there yet, for the simple reason of crikey, you need about two grand, don't you.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 17 Jan 22 at 19:04
 Messages Author Date
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 17 Jan 22 15:41
 Powered USB hub new smokie 17 Jan 22 16:05
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 17:30
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 17:42
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 17 Jan 22 19:01
 Powered USB hub new Zero 17 Jan 22 22:02
 Powered USB hub new smokie 18 Jan 22 00:17
 Powered USB hub new Kevin 18 Jan 22 08:05
 Powered USB hub new Crankcase 18 Jan 22 08:59
Latest Forum Posts