Non-motoring > Joined up thinking? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 7

Joined up thinking? - sherlock47
Coming back into the UK today, immigration greeted my wife with the comment - 'good to see that you are volunteering at the Olympics'. Was it some kind of test to determine her discretion? I was not aware that the ODA (or whatever), database was directly linked to the Government systems. Big brother is growing up?

Any views or comments?
 Joined up thinking? - Manatee
What possible justification could there be for making that info available to immigration?

The genie's out of the bottle, it will never be put back in. The irony being that only "travellers" and illegals can have a private life now.
 Joined up thinking? - Old Navy
Don't worry the government databases are only cross referenced to keep track of the good guys.
 Joined up thinking? - WillDeBeest
I'd settle for fewer smart remarks and a little more throughput. Returning to the UK the other week, early at T4 at a time when a lot of big long-hauls had just landed, there were only three desks open for the UK / EU passport queue. The Other Passports queue had five, and was both shorter and faster-moving than ours. I'd come from Kenya, and it had taken me about four minutes to complete formalities there, including buying a visa, compared with nearly 40 at LHR. Welcome home!
 Joined up thinking? - sherlock47
We have just discovered that a Senior Rail Card can now be purchased on line and one of the acceptable verification documents is your passport number. Does this number have embedded dob info or have the rail companies now also got access to the Passport database?

Joined up thinking? - zippy
The wont have access. They will send an electronic request to the Passports Agency with name and number and will get a fail or pass response.
 Joined up thinking? - Zero
>> The Other Passports queue had five, and was both shorter and faster-moving than ours.
>> I'd come from Kenya, and it had taken me about four minutes to complete formalities
>> there, including buying a visa, compared with nearly 40 at LHR. Welcome home!

I go for the shortest fastest moving queue, don't care if its UK/EU or Non UK/EU

The last time I went through the Non UK/EU one he said "hey this is a British Passport" "Yes your right" I said "So check it and let me be on my way" He did, I was.
 Joined up thinking? - MD
're.
Latest Forum Posts