Non-motoring > You would not make it up............... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 6

You would not make it up............... - Falkirk Bairn
2 headlines regarding MP/MEP in news today bringing our elected politicians into more disrepute

MP held re an alleged assault in bar of House of Commons
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9100013/Eric-Joyce-MP-arrested-fears-over-Parliaments-drinking-culture.html#disqus_thread

He is a Drunk Driver, convicted 15 months ago

MEP arrested re fraud investigation
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-17137739

Who is next? and for what?

Mind you in France the scandals tend to be even bigger - DSK held re prostitution investigation.
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/dominique-strauss-kahn/9094886/Dominique-Strauss-Kahn-questioned-as-pimp-suspect.html
 You would not make it up............... - Lygonos
No link exists between drink-driving and being at a higher risk of having an alcohol problem....

ahem, I mean being 'tired and emotional'.

/private eye
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 23 Feb 12 at 11:52
 You would not make it up............... - Iffy
'Beer in, brains out' as I hear in court from time to time.

You would not make it up............... - R.P.
No link exists between drink-driving and being at a higher risk of having an alcohol problem....

I surprised at that - after many years experience of seeing drink drivers go through the Courts, I would have though differently, but there's obviously been a study. Hate drink drivers.
 You would not make it up............... - John H
>> I surprised at that - after many years experience of seeing drink drivers go through the Courts, >>

See Lygonos vs Zero here:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8687&v=f

and

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=8859&v=f
Last edited by: John H on Thu 23 Feb 12 at 19:51
 You would not make it up............... - Lygonos
>>'Beer in, brains out' as I hear in court from time to time.

or "Never drink on an empty head".

Of course there's a link - JohnH got it ;-)
 You would not make it up............... - Mapmaker
The only people I've known banned from DUI have had drink problems. 1 definite alcoholic, dry these days. 1 ex-dry alcoholic who has had THREE bans. 1 as-good-as-an-alcoholic. All habitual drunk drivers. And I've known several other habitual drunk drivers who have never been caught. And thinking about it, I can think of several others who have served bans who really drink far more than probably they ought to.

I reckon that most people caught drunk driving should never get their licence back unless they go completely dry. It's all too often a symptom of a much bigger problem than "just having a couple of extras one night, your honour."

That said, a ban (or even an avoided ban thanks to a technicality in court) can be the kick some people need never, ever to drink when driving again.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Fri 24 Feb 12 at 11:31
Latest Forum Posts