Computer Related > networky question Computing Issues
Thread Author: borasport Replies: 10

networky question - borasport
We have a couple of laptops and a PC, connected to the net via a wireless router.

Should I ba able to access one device from another, using, for instance, RDP ? If so, how ?
 networky question - Zero
Yup

www.dummies.com/how-to/content/setting-up-remote-desktop-on-your-windows-7-home-n.html
 networky question - spamcan61
I've not bothered trying the Win7 flavour, but generally I find Teamviewer an easier way of achieving much the same ends:-

www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

Free for non commercial use

networky question - rtj70
Yes the machines will support this. Whether you can connect depends on things like:

- Firewalls
- RDP/Remote desktop actually enabled
- A username with a password is setup - you cannot RDP if there is no password set for an account.
 networky question - spamcan61
I'll stick with Teamviewer then :-)
 networky question - smokie
Can also recommend Teamviewer - painless remote access, from phone, work computer, whatever.
But the OP was (I think) asking about using RDP between machines on his home network.

So as long as it was.... well said that above.
 networky question - Zero
If he was accessing someone else machine outside his home network, ie on the other side of his router firewall, then yes TeamViewer is the way to go.

He is not, so its not. Simple RDP in this case is faster.
 networky question - smokie
OK I surrender but Teamviewer is good for remote. (Also works locally very well, presumably using same protocols)
Solutions like Teamviewer, LogMeIn, etc. are likely to go via the Internet for setting up connections etc even for local access. Using their servers avoids some of the problems with firewalls and NAT'd IP addresses.
 networky question - borasport
Cheers Z - that looks easy enough, I'll give it a whirl later in the week
Latest Forum Posts