Non-motoring > Spoiled Paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 27

Spoiled Paint - Fullchat
Over the last six months or so I have had occasion to opened two large tins of emulsion. One nearly full as I bought it to finish a job and with the thought of a refresh in a few years. The second had been decanted into a smaller tin to prevent it drying out. These were quality branded paints.

On both occasions I was greeted with what can best be described as a matted gloop. Needing somemore of the second colour I visited B & Q yesterday. The assistant informed me that last winter took its toll on emulsions left in sheds and garages where the paint was permanently ruined by extensive low temperatures.

I've been through my stocks and shaken the tins and some seem to be stil in liquid form so it would appear to effect some emulsion paints and not others.

Now paint aint cheap. So it might be worthwhile if you have quantities of expensive emulsion hiding it somewhere indoors.

Spoiled Paint - CGNorwich
Good point. Found the same when I opened a half used tin of emulsion last summer.

Spoiled Paint - rtj70
>> last winter took its toll on emulsions left in sheds and garages

I hope cellars fare better... I have shelving down there with my paint on it.

Another paint thing I've realised recently when I went to touch up some glass... a lot of white gloss yellows. Especially one coat Dulux bright white type stuff. But I'm not repainting the doors, picture rail, cornice, skirting etc. to make it all white again. Only did it just over a year ago too :-(
 Spoiled Paint - CGNorwich
Another paint tip. Always make a note of the name/number of any colour you use. That way you can can get some more made up even if it no longer available ready mixed. One of the reasons I always use Crown or Dulux
 Spoiled Paint - rtj70
Some of the paint in the cellar is Dulux and is the mix the colour variety... hope it stays okay. Maybe I should move my paint shelving nearer the rear of the cellar which has a radiator? It's in the front 'storage' room at present.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 31 Jan 12 at 00:29
 Spoiled Paint - Pat
I lost two full and one almost full large tins of emulsion last winter due to the frost.

It's moved from the shed to a cupboard indoors now.

Pat
 Spoiled Paint - Meldrew
Another tip, not temperature related, is to store opened tins lid downwards isn't it? Result is that you open the lid and get to fresh liquid paint and not an air gap and a crusted skin on what is left. Not a DIY bod BTW!
 Spoiled Paint - Zero
I buy enough paint to do the job. I don't have any hanging around.

If I need to touch it up I buy a small tin.

White is white is white....
 Spoiled Paint - Cliff Pope
Long experience shows that 50% of all stored paint has gone off by the time it might have been useful, and the remainder is either the wrong colour or not enough for the new job anyway.
And all the metal tins will be rusting and have glued themselves to the shelf with seeping paint.

The sensible thing would be to tip all unused oil paint into a big pot and use it for things where colour doesn't matter - such as metal shelves in the garage or the bilges of my boat.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 31 Jan 12 at 08:26
 Spoiled Paint - Crankcase
Not being much of a diy-er it took a LONG time for me to get enough motivation last year to paint the downstairs shower room. Bought Dulux white, did the job that weekend, looked lovely. Within six weeks it went yellow and it's staying that way. Not doing it again any time soon.

I guess I didn't prepare the surfaces well enough or something - they got a thorough clean and a light sanding, but the white paint that was there before wasn't stripped to bare wood.

Spoiled Paint - Gromit
"The sensible thing would be to tip all unused oil paint into a big pot..."

Works for emulsion too. A painter suggested to me that, when you end up with a hodge-podge of colours, add a small amount of red. You end up with a shade of pink which is fine for bilges, garage walls etc.

Needless to say, you won't be able to colour match it to the next big pot you mix up when it comes time to touch up any patches!
 Spoiled Paint - bathtub tom
>>A painter suggested to me that, when you end up with a hodge-podge of colours, add a small amount of red. You end up with a shade of pink

I've always found that when I mix unused paints for general use I end up with a shade of green.
 Spoiled Paint - Zero

>> a hodge-podge of colours, add a small amount of red. You end up with a
>> shade of pink which is fine for bilges, garage walls etc.

NOT the garage door, you could end up with some distinctly odd visitors.
 Spoiled Paint - smokie
"White is white is white...." - varies between brands and type though!
 Spoiled Paint - Zero
>> "White is white is white...." - varies between brands and type though!

No it dont. If you choose plain white (ie not apple white or peach white) its white.

Its shiny white or not shiny white.
 Spoiled Paint - Dog
I use dulux absolute white in me cottidge cos brill white has blue in it innit

>>
>> Its shiny white or not shiny white.
>>

You've obviously never had to touch up a white car :)
Volvo white is miles away from Ford white or Arctic white or any other kind of white.

But I agree Hammerite smooth is good enough for a car that rarely gets washed.
 Spoiled Paint - Clk Sec
>>White is white is white...." - varies between brands and type though!

>>Its shiny white or not shiny white.

There are degrees of shiny white, though. Dulux is very shiny, Crown is less shiny.

As someone who spends a fair bit of time attached to the firm end of a paint brush, I'll add my tuppence worth:

1. Do not store paint (especially emulsion) in a garage or shed during the worst of the winter.

2. If you can be bothered, and are likely to be painting for several hours, decant into a paint kettle and work from that. Less exposure to the elements, less lumps forming.

3. Always ensure paint tin (or whatever it comes in) is well sealed after use by firmly securing the top and leaving the tin upside down for a few minutes. I wouldn't recommend Meldrew's idea of permanently storing paint this way, though. Least of all indoors!

4. Partially used tins of white paint, correctly stored, will take around the same time to 'yellow' as painted surfaces, and painted surfaces in areas where natural light is restricted, will 'yellow' within months.

:-)
 Spoiled Paint - Zero
>>
>> >>
>> >> Its shiny white or not shiny white.
>> >>
>>
>> You've obviously never had to touch up a white car :)
>> Volvo white is miles away from Ford white or Arctic white or any other kind
>> of white.

thats because they can never be happy with white.

It has to be "ARCTIC" white, or "GLACIER" white, "POLARIS" white, sooner or later one of them will be stupid enough to come out with "SNOW" white.
 Spoiled Paint - Old Navy
>> It has to be "ARCTIC" white, or "GLACIER" white, "POLARIS" white, sooner or later one
>> of them will be stupid enough to come out with "SNOW" white.
>>

I think of white cars as "Van coloured".
 Spoiled Paint - Clk Sec
>> I think of white cars as "Van coloured".

Think positive. You're more visible at night, you save £££s on a new car, you probably won't need a professional to touch up minor scratches, and you get to spend more time out in the fresh air!
 Spoiled Paint - Clk Sec
>>You end up with a shade of pink which is fine for bilges, garage walls etc.

Might be OK for bilges, whatever they are, but garage walls. Really, how could you?
:)
>> > bilges, whatever they are,
>>

There is an expensive Bilge paint called Danboline, a kind of muddy red/brown, remarkably similar to the colour you get from randomly mixing all the old left-overs that were about to be thrown out.

All preservative paint is a fraud. Anything or nothing will work just as well, or not, it's main purpose is to make the painter feel satisfied.
>
>>
>> I think of white cars as "Van coloured".
>>

That would be "Also available in white", a less subtle colour than

"Colour may vary slightly from shade card".

At the bottom end of the graffiti colour range of course there is the old favourite "Clean me", and the even worse "I wish my wife..." .
 Spoiled Paint - Slidingpillar
Black paints vary as well. Which is odd since black pigment is a standard, or is for coach paint.
 Spoiled Paint - Crankcase
Black paint is interesting. Can't be many products made the same way for so long. Just this and Twiglets.

"The making of the color "Elephantium" was first described in the 4th century BCE. Ivory scraps were tightly packed into clay pots, excluding as much air as possible. Covered with an iron lid, the ivory was heated in kilns to make ivory black. This very expensive process was used until 1929 when the last factory in Germany closed."
Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 31 Jan 12 at 14:51
 Spoiled Paint - Alastairw
Those of you with yellowing white paint - a thought.

Modern white paint is designed to stay white in direct sunlight. When no sunlight reaches it, it can go a bit yellow, as it is the UV that reacts with something in the paint to keep it white.

I know not if this is still true - was told about it by and ICI paint chemist, many moons ago.
 Spoiled Paint - Armel Coussine
>> ivory was heated in kilns to make ivory black. This very expensive process was used until 1929 when the last factory in Germany closed."

Bone too splintered or small to be usable for knife handles, walking-stick handles and so on used to be used for making bone black, presumably in a similar process, I learned from a French novel set in 1871 some of whose characters were rag-pickers. They used to grind glass fragments in a mill and sell it to sandpaper manufacturers too.
Latest Forum Posts