Non-motoring > Derelict chapel in Sussex Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 8

Derelict chapel in Sussex - Stuu
Im trying to remember where it is.

I know it was out to the east of Horsham and it was south of Crawley, I believe the roads were up around Pease Pottage direction, or atleast I often passed it on my way there from Midhurst when I took off down side roads.

I know that if you were heading towards Pease Pottage, you took a left, maybe at a crossroads and it was on the right, few houses around but not many. I think it had a corrugated iron roof, quite run down. Fairly main road I think, not a tight backlane and the stretch it was on was quite straight.

Any ideas, its bugging the heck outta me?
 Derelict chapel in Sussex - Meldrew
Wiling away the time until I go to bed I followed your directions and looked for a chapel. There is very little habitation East of Horsham and South of Crawley. I found one church but it was slate roofed, 120 years old and. in no way derelict

I did find a derelict chapel but nowhere near your likely route

www.roughwood.net/ChurchAlbum/WestSussex/Henfield/HenfieldDisusedChapel2004.htm
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sun 29 Jan 12 at 18:51
I know, ive looked where I thought it would be and cant find it. I know its out that way somewhere, possibly further south than my memory is telling me.

The one im thinking of is only a few feet from the road and there were a few houses on the same side I think.

Its been a decade since I lived in Sussex so my geographical memory has faded somewhat.
 Derelict chapel in Sussex - Old Navy
Its probably a housing estate by now. :-)
 Derelict chapel in Sussex - Zero
Its unlikely to be derelict now.
That did occur to me, but it was in all the years I lived around there.

I expect it has flats on it now.
 Derelict chapel in Sussex - helicopter
Well I live in Horsham and am racking the brain but am not quite sure where you are talking about..

There is an old chapel in Pease Pottage itself near the M23 junction and service area ...which is now converted into offices but still there.

www.peasepottage.info/church-of-the-ascension

There apparently was another around the corner next to the Grapes pub but both the Grapes and the chapel have been demolished.

For many years I used to drive past the Tin Chapel in Broad Lane ,Newdigate , basically an overgrown green currugated iron derelict chapel which someone has now bought and renovated into a very nice looking home. Its a bit north of Horsham and Crawley but its not that you are thinking of is it?
Last edited by: retpocileh on Mon 30 Jan 12 at 16:24
Ill have a look, I think id know it if I saw it.
Tin Chapel could be it. It certainly was situated just like that, pretty little place that isnt it.

Thanks for the tip :-)
Latest Forum Posts