Motoring Discussion > Man maths Pt. 6273546754 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: .... Replies: 44

Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - ....
I do about 10k miles per year.

I currently have a diesel which belches out 166g/km. Costs 190GBP per year in road tax and does about 45mpg while the devil's phlegm costs 1,45/liter locally.

Does it make sense to swap from the Devil's juice saloon to God's nectar Convertible which exhales 236g/km, costs 260GBP to tax and does 28mpg while petrol costs 1,60/litre locally ?

Knock yourselves out on the numbers...
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - rtj70
If you're in the UK is petrol 1.60 litre? Or do you have a UK reg car and ought to have it registered somewhere else really? You mention 1,60/litre locally so the comma might be a giveaway? 1.6 euro per litre?
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Zero
Currency does not matter, its all relative.

No the sums do not add up, you are stuck with the oiler.
Think you're right Z. Works out at just over 1100€ difference/year before things like spark plugs and longer service interval for the diesel than petrol is factored in.
Petrol has a 10k service interval, diesel 12k.

I'm damned forever to drive behind the rumble of a D5 rather than experience the "thrill" of a T5 :-(
When you are employed in the UK and expected to work elsewhere with your tax split, you decide...
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Lygonos
It may make sense depending upon likely depreciation/maintenance costs.
Both cars are within 6 months of each other.

The diesel has 50kmiles more on the clock than the petrol.

Insurance for the petrol is likely to be more expensive being a "performance" model. Whereas, the diesel can struggle by on 40PS less with 100NM more torque
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Armel Coussine
Woman maths might urge you to spend a grand a year on improving your driving experience. Is there any way you can check how worthwhile it is without taking the plunge?

The difference may not be all that great. Indeed if you get really used to a really nice car the next one could seem a letdown.

It doesn't take very long to get used to anything, and if you really like driving you can enjoy almost anything. But I also see people galumphing clumsily around in lovely motors all the time, apparently hating every second of it.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 29 Jan 12 at 00:22
>> Currency does not matter, its all relative.

It is relative but he's mixing up some GBP and Euro figures. I think he needs to stick with the D5.
No Woman maths to it AC, she has her van with windows and seats which performs most everyday tasks like a Womble.

I do like the D5, had her 5 years now. She needs some money spending but have seen this 850 based beauty which has less computrickery and has a much lower mileage. Am I suffering early onset FoR ? Will my eye wander again in two weeks time if I go down such a route. Am I heading to Rattledom-in-a-handcart and 2nd hand motors past their sell-by-date ?
>> I do like the D5, had her 5 years now

Now you've said that it will blow the turbo in March 2012. Time to change it.

And Rattle's car is newer than yours. And so now is his dad's. So get rid of this deathtrap ASAP :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 29 Jan 12 at 00:33
Funny enough, never suffered turbo failure so that would be a new one on me. From what I've read belt failure is a much bigger expense but they've all been done 36k early...
My reply was tongue in cheek - hence a ref to March 2012 when the turbo will fail. The clutch will go on the day after Valentines when it will most inconvenience. Hold on to it longer and the rear shocks will need doing in October.

:-)
Difference is my car has no sign-off rust internal or external and the only advisories it has ever had is when I've left the headlight deflectors on.
I wouldn't dream of putting my 6 and 3 year olds in something I wasn't confident in.

D5 it is then as I have known that car from relatively young. Anything secondhand must be a shed. There goes the 2nd hand market...
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Runfer D'Hills
Easy gmac.
Take up smoking for a day.
Calculate how much that is now going to cost you annually.
Give up smoking
Use saved fag money to fund petrol car (and have some change to boot.)
Sorted.
>> Easy gmac.
>> Take up smoking for a day.
>> Calculate how much that is now going to cost you annually.
>> Give up smoking

Humph should know, he does it every month....
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Iffy
...he does it every month...

Happened to glance at the prices in a sweetie shop the other day.

More than £7 for 20 Marlboro reds.

I'm out of touch with fag prices, but that seemed a lot of money.

Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Dog
I can buy a bag of coal for £7, it will last me 2.5 days AND it's smoke-less.
>> I can buy a bag of coal for £7, it will last me 2.5 days
>> AND it's smoke-less.

Did Winter ever arrive down there Dog?
Believe it or nay, the 'gentlemans transport' has not had even one frosty windscreen this 'winter' (so far)
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Clk Sec
>> Believe it or nay, the 'gentlemans transport' has not had even one frosty windscreen this
>> 'winter' (so far)

Bet the car's in the garage! Or is it 'cos you're nearer the equator?
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - CGNorwich
Have you seen the weather forecast Dog?. Looks like you are going to get some snow later today.
No garage C/S - 1st time in 8 years without one!

I'll let ye know about the snow later CG ~ cloudy and 6c at the mo.
Nearly 9 quid in some of the motorway services you know. Not that I...
>> Nearly 9 quid in some of the motorway services you know. Not that I...

of course not, we know you dont.
Based on my old smoking habit, Humph's logic and Iffy's price research I could have a Quattroporte. :-)
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Westpig
gmac,

I've had a similar dilemma in our household, in that I own a 3 litre petrol auto car (Jag S Type), that i've now owned for 10 years. When I first bought it, the fuel consumption was not on my radar, at all. When it needed fuel, I filled it up and never had a clue what the cost was per litre.

I persuaded my then new wife to have car of the same marque, but she insisted on A, estate (dogs) and B, diesel...so we got a 2 litre diesel X Type estate 7 years ago.

For years I drove my car and she hers unless really long journeys to relatives etc in which case the estate made sense for space...but I begrudged it and still preferred mine.

Fast forward to nowadays...and...I use hers more than mine purely because of the fuel costs. On a long m/way journey, mine will easily do 26/27mpg and that's outside lane stuff with nothing coming past...trouble is, anywhere else and most of our journeys are up and down the 'box in a rural area, a lot on cold... and it's very low 20's, whereas hers does 39/40mpg and 35 mpg for those two examples.

I still prefer my car, even though it's 6 years older than hers..but the fuel costs eventually got to me.

Think carefully. If you can afford it/justify it, so be it...but where will fuel costs be in 2,3,5,10 years time?
That's the thing that sticks in the back of my mind Westpig.

I ran petrol cars for years when diesel would have been more sensible. I bought the D5 and my mileage fell away to the c.10k miles I do today.
I reckon the T5 will get low 20's for my day to day commute which is roughly half what my current car does. It's the what if with my job and the possibility that at some time I could go back to the 50k miles a year I did before that would make the T5 an expensive exercise.
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - legacylad
The only 'man maths'in my household is never to go into debt when buying a car.And always buy & sell privately.
On paper my '04 330Ci Convertible has lost £2k in depreciation over two years.Servicing costs have been minimal, the only major expense being 4 new tyres, but that was factored into the purchase price. My IAM insurance is circa £320 fully comp. mpg 30/32 ish, so I musn't complain too much.
Rational maths would see me driving around in an older car, but stuff that!
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - -
Just a thought, but assuming you are still resident in Germany, how does LPG stack up there?

Would you, could you?, does LPG enjoy reasonable prices as here, i'm currently paying 66ppl, the MB runs smoother on the stuff than petrol, i can detect a slight drop in power but the old girl will still show a clean unpolluting exhaust to anyone i need to get by.

I understand the Poles are quite into LPG, would a short holiday whilst the car was converted there be viable if you considered conversion?

On of the MB regulars got a bare metal respray to a very high standard whilst having a holiday in Poland a few ears ago, full job around a grand which was at least 50% lower than he could have obtained in the UK for a high quality finish.

LPG is 73 or 74 cents per litre.
While a worthwhile exercise for thirsty cars today I'm not sure of the long-term. Enough people jump and we'll see the same rises as what happened with diesel.
The C70 doesn't have the biggest boot in the world, a space saver spare, and a folding pram roof to accommodate. Not sure where the LPG tank could be located.

The car which has caught my eye has the 2.3 T5 engine which is the strongest version of the engine block wise.
Similarly to Westpig I have the ideal car at the moment which does everything I need of a car, has cost buttons to run and I don't need to change. It's this version of the T5 engine which has started the cogs turning about changing.

Agree with comments re:debt for cars. I was made redundant at the end of 2009. We didn't/don't have any debt and only have to fund the roof over our head, food in our stomachs and utilities. I was extremely grateful to my wife for ensuring our finances were sound enough not to have financial worries in addition to the task of finding new work.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 29 Jan 12 at 19:26
I'm not sure of the long-term. Enough
>> people jump and we'll see the same rises as what happened with diesel.
>>

Yes thats possible, my only regret is that i didn't convert it 9 years ago, never thought i'd keep it so long.
Hindsight truly is a wonderful thing :-)
>> That's the thing that sticks in the back of my mind Westpig.

It's a difficult dilemma.

In many ways my S Type, for me, is the perfect car...there's just one foible ... thirst
....which unfortunately nowadays is a big foible.

I even thought about swapping it for a newer, diesel model....but...that wouldn't be the same. It wouldn't be smooth, as quiet and wouldn't rev the same when you wanted it. It would have been a compromise too far.

I need to hang fire before a new car purchase as we're moving house soon...but... I still do the internet trawl for my dream wheels...and I can honestly say there's nothing out there I really want (that I can realistically afford and would do what I need).

I've never been in that position before....... and consider myself a car nut.

LPG an option Westpig?
>> LPG an option Westpig?
>>

Thought about it...trouble is i've left it a bit late, is it financially viable to spend that sort of money on a 13 year old Jag? ....even if it is a minter.

My cunning plan is to run round in it as a second car until I can afford to replace it...then SORN it for a few years until it becomes a classic.

Trouble is i've done that once before with my mk1 Triumph 2000, so there'll be two cars stashed away...

Where will it all end?
>> Thought about it...trouble is i've left it a bit late, is it financially viable to
>> spend that sort of money on a 13 year old Jag? ....even if it is
>> a minter.

I did it with my MB at nearly 14 years, like you i enjoy my car, its individual and i love the quiet effortless way it drives, i don't enjoy the Diesel experience as much.

Figures for you as i expect our cars are similar on mpg, mine is a 3.2 inline 6 but probably quite a bit lighter than the Jag.

I get around 250 miles for £35 worth of LPG at 66ppl, less if i boot it hard though.
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - Iffy
Two friends of mine had LPG conversions.

Both were pleased because they could keep the size and shape of car they wanted - a Subaru estate and a Range Rover.

But both said the drive on LPG was not the same, less powerful and eager, which can only be made up for in part by extra right foot.

Fine for chugging about, but I get the impression Westpig likes to drive his Jag, so I think he would be disappointed with LPG.

Why do they do it ? What is the flippin' point ?

Earlier today I rang the dealer and asked about the history of the car. It had apparently gone two years between PDI and 1st service. All services including the 2nd and 3rd had been done at the main dealer. 4th service was at a local garage 12 months after the 3rd all according to schedule. Then a 2.5 year gap to the selling garage having serviced it in Dec. '11.

This got the old alarm bells ringing.

I went to view the car and got the story about the previous owner, what a thoroughly good egg he was.

I then noticed the drivers side of the car was misted up on the inside. I was told the car had just been wet vac'd. Who wet vacs a convertible in February with a customer coming to see the car ? When I checked, the only parts of the carpet which were wet were where water can come in by the door mirrors and run down.

The final nail in the coffin was the tyres. Just put new boots on her came the words from salesmans mouth. Federal ditch finders on a 150mph convertible and either the person who specified the fitting or the fitter or preferably both had just ruined perfect set of alloy wheels having taken off the stick on weights and replaced with the hammer on the rim type.

Argh !!!
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - corax
>> Argh !!!

At least he didn't say it had been treated like a baby..

Keep looking :)
The real grinder for me corax was the fact this was a main dealer. Not the main dealer of the brand, but a dealer of another brand asking absolute top book.

This is what gets my urea steaming in the car trade. How they treat everyone like they're idiots.

TBH thinking along the lines of throwing the money these pfd wanted at my own car as at least I know the history and how it has been treated over the last 5 years. My indie does a good job and knows his cars.

As long as there are dealers like this, the EU can keep their white goods mobile units.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 4 Feb 12 at 00:19
>> This is what gets my urea steaming in the car trade

You can probably sell that to some manufacturers using AdBlue additives.
I'm sure there are two on here who's tanks I could deposit directly into.
The manual for my VW seemed to suggest there might be an AdBlue tank in the boot that needs a top up. There isn't in mine. I do wonder what advantage it would have over mine without.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 3 Feb 12 at 23:58
 Man maths Pt. 6273546754 - corax
>> How they treat everyone
>> like they're idiots.

I suppose that's what they're hoping for. Someone with less savvy or less discerning than yourself to come along, be besotted with the test drive, not really notice the tell tale signs, and hand the cash over.

If they're going to sell a car without sorting out the faults then price it accordingly. Obviously a dealer to avoid.

Can't stand hammer on weights unless the car is a banger and it doesn't matter anymore.
Last edited by: corax on Sat 4 Feb 12 at 11:47
Latest Forum Posts