Non-motoring > Intrusion by cell phone? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sherlock47 Replies: 38

Intrusion by cell phone? - sherlock47
www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16688007

Brilliant!
 Intrusion by cell phone? - helicopter
Remarkably restrained reaction.

I'd have taken the violin bow to the phone owner and shoved it where the sun don't shine.......
 Intrusion by cell phone? - FocalPoint
It's a viola. Played with a viola bow, which is not the same as a violin bow.

"I'd have... shoved it where the sun don't shine......." Now that would have made a good video clip.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 11:01
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Manatee
We went to a performance of Bach's Magnificat last month. Not only did some woman's phone ring, she thought it was OK to answer it and have a conversation. If only I'd been near enough...
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Old Navy
I think all restaurants, cinemas, and theaters should have phone jammers fitted.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 11:12
 Intrusion by cell phone? - FocalPoint
"Not only did some woman's phone ring, she thought it was OK to answer it and have a conversation."

Unbelievable. You have to wonder why some people go to live entertainment at all.

The thing that makes me laugh is when I'm on the train coming back from London and it seems virtually everyone gets their phone out as the train leaves and says, "I'm on the train..."
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 11:26
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Bromptonaut
>> The thing that makes me laugh is when I'm on the train coming back from
>> London and it seems virtually everyone gets their phone out as the train leaves and
>> says, "I'm on the train..."

It makes me laugh too but it's really a bit of shorthand/jargon. The recipient hears it as 'I'll be home in an hour'.

I have a template text HIOTUT (Hello I'm om the Usual Train). Enough info for meal or lift planning wthuot an uneccessary converstaion.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Crankcase
Jimmy Carr said he was performing when a phone went off in the front row. He said he was a bit crushed when the bloke actually answered it and said

"Sorry, I'm at a comedy show".

Followed by "No, not really".

Intrusion by cell phone? - VxFan
Was shown on last weeks "That Sunday Night Show"
Spooky!
 Intrusion by cell phone? - VxFan
>> Spooky!

Not Jimmy Carr, the fiddle link.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 13:58
Oh fiddle.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - zippy
Can't do the phone jammers thing. It is against the law as people may need to make emergency calls.

But I agree with your sentiments.

£1000 fine for anyone who interrupts a cinema or theatre performance with a mobile or other device followed by castration.

>> Can't do the phone jammers thing. It is against the law as people may need
>> to make emergency calls.
>>
>> But I agree with your sentiments.

OK. Any venue with a jammer must have a landline for emergency use.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 15:18
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Duncan
>> OK. Any venue with a jammer must have a landline for emergency use.
>>

Stuff from OFCOM:-

Jammers

Jammers are devices which are intended to prevent radio equipment from receiving and transmitting the signals relevant to their function. Use of such devices therefore constitutes the specific offence of causing deliberate interference. Many radio applications can be the target of such devices, including TETRA communications systems, 2.4GHz radio Local Area Networks and GPS systems, but the most common targets are mobile phones. By transmitting signals on the frequencies at which GSM and UMTS operations are conducted, mobile phone jammers make it impossible for a handset located within their range of action to make or receive calls and messages.
Often targeted for use in such areas as theatres, cinemas, examination halls and libraries where the use of mobile phones can prove annoying, jammers are likely to affect wider areas and other frequencies than those they are intended for. They can also result in the disruption of emergency and rescue radio services in the public area.
Jammers are also subject to the Electromagnetic Compatibility Directive (EMC) Directive EC89/336 as amended, which has been implemented into UK law by the Electromagnetic Compatibility Regulations 2006 (Sl 2006/3418). These regulations specify that all electrical and electronic apparatus placed on the market or taken into service in the UK, including imports, satisfy specific requirements to ensure that they do not cause excessive electromagnetic interference or are adversely affected by it and have to carry the CE mark to show compliance. The European Commission supports Members States’ views that since jammers by their nature cause significant electromagnetic interference it is likely that most do not comply with the UK regulations and therefore they cannot be legally placed on the UK market. The maximum penalty for supplying non-compliant equipment under the regulations is a fine of up to £5,000. The courts can order forfeiture of stocks of equipment. Ofcom will take appropriate enforcement action, including prosecution, to enforce the above legal provisions.

Alternatives to jammers
It is understandable that the owners of theatres, cinemas, concert halls, restaurants etc may want to restrict the use of mobile phones within their premises but jamming is an inappropriate means of achieving this. The alternative, legal way to do this is by education and publicity in informing users to keep mobile phones switched off when requested to do so. This may be assisted by the use of cellphone detectors at entrances that, without transmitting any interfering signal, give visible and/or audible warnings if an active device is nearby.
>> Stuff from OFCOM:-
>>
>> Jammers
>>

Spoilsports. :-)

Is there a law against shielding? Plenty of stealth materials around.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 25 Jan 12 at 15:36
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Focusless
>> This may be assisted by the use of cellphone detectors at entrances that, without transmitting
>> any interfering signal, give visible and/or audible warnings if an active device is nearby.

Are these used? Didn't know they existed, but then I don't go to many of that sort of event.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Armel Coussine
>> £1000 fine for anyone who interrupts a cinema or theatre performance with a mobile or other device followed by castration.

Steady on... mine went off in the third row of the stalls in the National Theatre a couple of years ago, suppressed it pronto but noticed the thesps glaring about for a moment or two. Most embarrassing.

Still haven't got used to this Dick Tracy stuff... it's an age thing. All the whippersnappers have been trained at school to know when to turn the things off. We oldsters cherish the illusion that they keep us in permanent touch with people we need to be in permanent touch with.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Pat
All phones should be handed in to management before being shown to a table in a restaurant.

Pat
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Clk Sec
I agree. Too many ego trippers in restaurants.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - CGNorwich
Compulsory surrender of phones would have to be backed up with security scanning and searches. Might take away a little of the fine dining experience don't you think?
Not really. Not once you've had a couple of pints of Bury St Edmunds finest.
Had a few of those yesterday in the Nutshell. Packed it was.
I've been in there a few times myself. Doesn't take long to get packed, that's for sure.
Pat would like the cat!
Look, ego trippers have rights like everyone else. Most restaurants seem to me these days to be hopelessly noisy and uncomfortable anyway.

If someone annoys you by yelling down their phone for ages at the next table, ask them as politely as you like to damn well pipe down. But then how do you deal with a girls' night out and the shrieks of empty laughter?

So many people don't know how to behave these days that it may be best to cough up for a private room at the Ivy, or go somewhere dark where the punters are cool, like the Groucho.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Zero
If you want to eat in a morgue, try the local cemetery, or take your sarnies into the library.
We never seem to go East from here, but for a cat.....:)

Pat
 Intrusion by cell phone? - hjd
My husband was at church the other week and a woman's phone went off.
She then answered it and had a conversation in the middle of the service.
I would mention that she was Chinese and talked very loudly but would probably be accused of racism.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - R.P.
Blessed are the call-takers.

Perhaps you best give it a miss. The cat is mummified and hanging from the ceiling above the bar. Found in the 17th century wall during renovations. Believed to be good luck charm.

Pub is meant to be the smallest in the country
>> Pub is meant to be the smallest in the country

And it's well worth a visit:

www.thenutshellpub.co.uk/inside-the-pub.html (cat lovers may wish to bypass image 6)
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Tigger
Someone had their phone go off in our church on Sunday too. And answered it "Hello, I'm in church, can't talk now"
Last edited by: Tigger on Thu 26 Jan 12 at 07:08
 Intrusion by cell phone? - R.P.
"pray leave a voicemail ?"
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Cliff Pope
I think it must be in "Wife to Mr Milton" that Robert Graves described the scenes in parish churches before the puritans got to work and waved their deadening blanket over Merrie England.
Churches apparently were jolly social centres, not morgues where people talked in hushed voices. Worshippers chattered and gossiped, children played, farmers doubtless ate their cornish pasties. Somewhere in the babble the parson, if he was worth listening to, managed to get his sermon across. If not, they'd have some singing.

Listeners went to concerts to be entertained. If the musicians weren't to the audience's liking or were no good, they got booed or had rotten food thrown at them.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Iffy
...or had rotten food thrown at them...

The North East club circuit was famous for critical audiences.

There was a fruit and veg stall outside the Sunderland Empire which sold produce past its best for buyers to chuck at the entertainer if he wasn't up to scratch.

>> stall outside the Sunderland Empire which sold produce past its best for buyers to chuck at the entertainer if he wasn't up to scratch.

When you've paid good money for overripe tomatoes, Hin, you're going to throw them at someone come what may...

I don't even like booing in theatres. It may put iron in the souls of performers and make them troupers, but it seems too cruel to me. Especially when people are obviously doing their best.

Personally I think the stocks should be brought back for certain categories of miscreant. Rotten apples and the like would come in useful then.
 Intrusion by cell phone? - Iffy
A mate of mine saw the flying produce in action.

The performer was a well-known sixties singer - Billy Fury, Adam Faith - someone like that.

The Sunderland audience wanted him to sing one of his hits, but he refused.

After much heckling, he said something like: "It's my effin' concert and I'll sing what I like."

That did it, he left the stage under a volley of fruit and vegetables.

Not my cup of tea!

Pat
Latest Forum Posts