Non-motoring > Jargon Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 29

Jargon - Iffy
Isn't jargon wonderful?

I was talking to a police contact the other day, who was listening to his earpiece at the same time.

He broke off the conversation to say: "I'm just hearing there's been a polac."

"Oh dear," I say. "Hope he's alright."

After a few seconds, I ask: "What's a polac?"

"Police accident," he replies. "An accident in which a police car is involved."

Conversations like that are what I do this job for.

Any other examples?

Jargon - R.P.
The CAB is full of such crap. Acronyms is another.. a veritable alphabet spaghetti of them.
 Jargon - Zero
Where I used to work is recognised as the home of TLA's (three letter acronyms), so much so that a physical paper back dictionary was published. Couple this with products having 7 digit product numbers nnnn-nnn that everyone was expected to know, it was, in effect a different sub language spoken.
 Jargon - R.P.
Is PolAcc an acronym rather than a jargon though ?
 Jargon - MD
'tis all Horlicks to the uninitiated. (0:-:0)
 Jargon - Zero
I would suggest that TLAs, or acronyms in general, are jargon.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 22:37
 Jargon - Zero
>> Is PolAcc an acronym rather than a jargon though ?

Is twoccer jargon or acronym?
 Jargon - Iffy
...Is PolAcc an acronym rather than a jargon though ?...

The Mac's onboard dictionary definition of jargon covers it:

"Special words or expressions that are used by a particular profession or group and are difficult for others to understand."

Jargon - R.P.
So an acronym can become jargon so a TWOCer (Taking Without Owners Consent) is hybrid acronym/jargon
 Jargon - Iffy
One used around the courts is 'bender'.

As in: "The judge gave him a bender."

Suspended sentence.

Jargon - Focusless
>> Couple this with products having 7 digit product numbers nnnn-nnn

Argos?
 Jargon - Zero
no, we just sold them the database, change a few names and away you go.
 Jargon - Dave_
>> no, we just sold them the database, change a few names and away you go.

Same customer base, by and large :)
 Jargon - CGNorwich
Here you are Iffy. Now you will know what they are talking about!

www.police999.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=54:general-police-info&id=1445:police-acronyms

Jargon - R.P.
When they re-branded the RUC, it should have been the Northen Ireland Police Service - this clearly would have caused problems, so they re-arranged the words slightly...
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 22:49
 Jargon - Zero
>> When they re-branded the RUC, it should have been the Northen Ireland Police Service -
>> this clearly would have caused problems, so they re-arranged the words slightly...

Should have called it "Northern Ireland Constabulary" NIC.
 Jargon - CGNorwich
You will see your man is behind the times.

It's now a POLCOLL - no such thing as an accident
 Jargon - Zero
>> You will see your man is behind the times.
>>
>> It's now a POLCOLL - no such thing as an accident

Thought it was called "WITCHHUNT"
 Jargon - R.P.
RIPA was another one, Police Officers pronounced it in a particular way - the Council workers I came across it pronounced it slightly differently with an emphasis on the "I" like "Reeepa" (Police Officers invariably pronounced it almost like "ripper") the council version was definitely more feminine, more skinny latte than full fat espresso.
 Jargon - Iffy
...You will see your man is behind the times...

Doesn't surprise me, Durham Constabulary is a traditional force, not many still use 'police office' for 'police station'.

And perhaps sadly, I can add one to the list - OIC - officer in charge of an investigation.

So if I pitch up at a crime scene, a lowly PC might say: "You will need to speak to the OIC."

Jargon - R.P.
Durham is a small force ? I came across a number of their male Officers in various situations, they all came across as rather more macho than than your average cop - very aggressive and fond of their drink....as if frozen in aspic from the 70s...very odd.

Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 23:00
 Jargon - Iffy
...Durham is a small force ?...

One of the smallest, numbers wise, although geographically the patch is a big one.

...very aggressive and fond of their drink...

Coppers off their manor can come over like that, but I don't disagree with you.

Durham still has a few traditional policemen who speak to members of the public in a very forthright way when the occasion demands it.

I think law-abiding folk in other areas of the country would like a few oldstyle Durham coppers.

Jargon - R.P.
I had reason to associate with a number of them over the course of a two years in the early 2000s - they came across as very personable blokes (they were all male) - with a view of the world (which isn't necessarily a bad one) - and a rougish sense of humour you rarely see elsewhere, at one point I was convinced I was seeing the same one assuming a different identity each time. This is isn't meant as a criticism, they just were not stereotypical Officers.. they had an almost laddish, offhand way with their bosses that you rarely saw elsewhere...
Last edited by: R.P. on Sat 21 Jan 12 at 23:17
 Jargon - Iffy
...they had an almost laddish, offhand way...

I heard a Durham copper make a very crude remark to a woman community support officer about her ability to walk the beat at certain times of the month.

The fact he made the remark at all, let alone with me present, speaks volumes.

Shrinking violets should not apply.

Jargon - -
>> I think law-abiding folk in other areas of the country would like a few oldstyle
>> Durham coppers.

oh yes, sometimes i have to restrain meself from putting several large bricks through the telly screen.

Don't usually watch the stuff on telly but when i see a police officer wasting their breath trying to talk normally to some idiot stoned out of their head on drink or drugs i just want to scream, those officers could be doing good work by catching criminals instead of shovelling detritus into a black maria.

Its got to be the most hateful part of a coppers lot surely.
 Jargon - AnotherJohnH
>> Its got to be the most hateful part of a coppers lot surely.

It would seem so, or at least a close second to the paperwork, if "Wasting Police Time" by "Inspector Gaget" has anywhere near a grain of truth in it.

Kindle it for £2... you can pretend to be doing something useful on the laptop while you cringe....

(Thanks for the pointer to it by R.P. in another thread.)
 Jargon - CGNorwich
very aggressive and fond of their drink.

Probably a PQMS
 Jargon - sooty123
serving in the military at the moment. Jargon and tlas are used widely along with sayings and phrases that would confuse nearly all people on the outside. That can go for those serving even as well say if someone in the army is talking to someone raf they may not totally understand what is being said. I think most of those listening to it not use to hearing it all on the outside would find it like another language.
 Jargon - Dog
Wifey and I have our own jargon/language that we've used o'er the years, and still do,

For example ~ a gog is a visitor, it comes from goth as in Visigoth (visi)

We be doin things different up ere my ansome!
 Jargon - Roger.
Caravans on the road = Grockle Boxes!
By Damn, bye, that's a proper job.
Last edited by: Roger on Sun 22 Jan 12 at 11:42
Latest Forum Posts