Computer Related > Recording TV onto memory stick Computing Issues
Thread Author: FocalPoint Replies: 8

Recording TV onto memory stick - FocalPoint
This is a question asked out of curiosity, mainly.

On my TV (Samsung 750 40” LCD 3D TV) I can record and re-play TV programmes using a memory stick. However, when I put the stick into my PC it cannot read it and asks me if I want to format it. Similarly, if I have formatted the stick in my PC the TV needs to format it before it can be used.

What is going on here? And how would I play through the TV material recorded/copied on my PC?
 Recording TV onto memory stick - Crankcase
Copyright - rights reservation - is my guess to the first, and "via another box such as an AppleTV or whatever" is my answer to the second.
 Recording TV onto memory stick - spamcan61
Google suggests FAT32 format should be OK in the TV, and will be OK in a PC, so I'd format the sticks like that. Some TVs do seem fussy about stick manufacturer.

If you are trying to watch HD content then i suspect Cc is right, most TV manufacturers have implemented DRM so that content can only be watched on the TV it was recorded on.
 Recording TV onto memory stick - Hard Cheese

>>
>> If you are trying to watch HD content then i suspect Cc is right, most
>> TV manufacturers have implemented DRM so that content can only be watched on the TV>>

Though if you record to a NAS then you can pick it up elsewhere in theory, Loewe TVs do this though perhaps only the TV will play the recording even if it is on the network, I will look into it ...

Recording TV onto memory stick - FocalPoint
Not HD content, actually.

I'll check what's happening when I format the stick in my PC - whether it's doing FAT32.

Is it people's view that if I have formatted the stick properly in my PC it should not need to be formatted in the TV?

Another question: what type of file is the TV creating on the stick when it records?
 Recording TV onto memory stick - Iffy
My brother's Panasonic TV records to a USB stick or drive in a unique format which won't work on other devices.

Recording TV onto memory stick - spamcan61
>>
>> Is it people's view that if I have formatted the stick properly in my PC
>> it should not need to be formatted in the TV?
>>
>> Another question: what type of file is the TV creating on the stick when it
>> records?
>>
Once the stick has been formatted FAT32 or whatever it should not need reformatting in the TV.

For SD content at least the TV will just dump the received programme data straight onto the stick, so it will be MPEG2, probably still packaged in transport stream format. If the existing media playback software on the PC can't cope with that then VLC is free and almost certainly will (it may have to download extra codecs to do so, but it will prompt you to do this):-

www.videolan.org/vlc/

The user interface is a bit geeky compared with WMP/iTunes, but it will play pretty much anything.
 Recording TV onto memory stick - Victorbox
I had to buy a memory stick with a really fast read/write spec to get the record to TV to work. I went for a Lexar Lightning - one that is fast enough for Windows Ready boost should do.
 Recording TV onto memory stick - Crankcase
The US manual for the Samsung 750 says the USB will support FAT32 and NTFS, that it will take notice of DRM (which might well be relevant in the UK) and that it plays (and perhaps records) DIVX format, but not even then if there are embedded subtitles. All of that is on page 34.

However, it also has an extensive section about how to connect it to your home network, and suggests you can share a drive from a PC to it (and perhaps play stuff from there directly. It's not very well written and clearly a translation). As you've not mentioned any of that perhaps the US and UK 750 are different beasts, or have different bits enabled.

I couldn't immediately find the UK manual online - I'm guessing your manual is different, but the USB bits above may well be the same.
Latest Forum Posts