Motoring Discussion > Get any motoring presents? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 50

Get any motoring presents? - BobbyG
I will start off!

Got a voucher for Exhilirate Scotland.
This gives me a drive in 3 from 5 super cars on a route from Oban to Lochearnhead, Ferrari, Porsche, Atom etc! Twenty or so minutes driving each car. Yummy!!
 Get any motoring presents? - Manatee
Senna film DVD from Boy, and a book on F1 from Herself.
 Get any motoring presents? - rtj70
Senna DVD
Book on super cars.

Edit: Snap on the Senna DVD.... I'd already got it too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sun 25 Dec 11 at 15:26
 Get any motoring presents? - RattleandSmoke
The lastest JC book (my mother always gets me these, but she doesn't seem to get the hint....) She has finally got the hint that I find the Top Gear DVDs boring though.

A DVD set on trains and buses - already got.
A book on Manchester Trolleybuses - don't think I have.
Autoglym wheel cleaner as a stocking filler - useful.

Still got one more present to open after my grandma has gone, that could be motoring related.
 Get any motoring presents? - henry k
>> Snap on the Senna DVD.
>>
Me too or is it +3
 Get any motoring presents? - Videodoctor
Leather wipes,microfibre cloths and other car cleaning products!

Guess what i'll be doing tomorrow
 Get any motoring presents? - Fursty Ferret
Sort of motoring related... one of these:

www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=70453

"The NEW District 3 rear safety light is bright! Now that may sound like an obvious statement - but until you’ve seen one of these on, in the dark - amongst other lights, reflectives and distractions you won’t quite believe it!"
Actually it's called 1001 Dream cars.

Not this version but it's this:

www.amazon.co.uk/1001-Dream-Cars/dp/1407524402
Not strictly motoring, but it contains a clutch, gearbox and a motor so it is as good as.

My mother saved the best till last, a Dewalt 18v Cordless drill, two gears, 17 torque settings.

I am hoping to buy some decent drill bits for it tomorrow :).

I will possibly use it to replace the kitchen in the summer and perhaps put up some shelves in the workshop.
 Get any motoring presents? - Zero

>> I will possibly use it to replace the kitchen in the summer and perhaps put
>> up some shelves in the workshop.

Well that should be an entertaining thread, I shall look forward to that one.
As Clarkson would say, "How hard can it be?" not even drunk yet either as I have been on taxi duties all day.

Lets leave that for the thread at the time :).
 Get any motoring presents? - nyx2k
i can lay claim to fitting my new kitchen last week. i gutted the whole room and changed all the plubing and chased a mile of cable into the wall with a hand chisel.
it looks great and pretty easy if you have the paitence and the proper tools
 Get any motoring presents? - Harleyman
>
>> it looks great and pretty easy if you have the paitence and the proper tools
>>

We're talking Rattle here. The only thing, computers excepted, that he can construct with any amount of dexterity is a mountain out of a molehill!

Only joking Rats! ;-)
I have done some quite successful DIY projects, build all the desks in my workshop, and put power sockets and Ethernet sockets on them etc.

I had to tell one of my 27 year old mates how to change a light bulb last week and I am not joking, and there was me at 15 fitting and a wiring a grade 2 burglar alarm.
>> I have done some quite successful DIY projects, build all the desks in my workshop,
>> and put power sockets and Ethernet sockets on them etc.
>>
>> I had to tell one of my 27 year old mates how to change a
>> light bulb last week and I am not joking, and there was me at 15
>> fitting and a wiring a grade 2 burglar alarm.

So whats your carpentry, Plumbing, Tiling and plastering skills like?
Carpenty not too mad as my mate was a joiner so learnt a lot of him, plumbing I am ok fitted a bathroom sink which was fine, changed the inlet valve in the cold water tank etc. I am no plumber but I can connect a few compression joints up which it is required on a kitchen fit, I am not talking about plumbing in a central heating system.

Tiling I have never done, but my mother is actually quite good at that.

Plastering skills are zero, so I won't even attempt to do any plastering.

All I will be doing in the kitchen is fitting the units, any plastering and the floor levelling will be done by builders as well the electrics to keep things legal.

>> Plastering skills are zero, so I won't even attempt to do any plastering.
>>
>> All I will be doing in the kitchen is fitting the units, any plastering and
>> the floor levelling will be done by builders as well the electrics to keep things
>> legal.
>>

Sensible move. I consider plastering to be one of the "black arts", fortunately my next door neighbour is an adept.

I have to confess here that whilst I can twirl a spanner with reasonable confidence, mostly thanks to an Army apprenticeship, woodwork was never a skill; blame a grammar school education which fitted me out for writing essays about the social life of a six inch nail but taught nothing about how to knock one into a wall!

Having said that I've learned as I've gone along, a must if you live in an old house. Surprising how many DIY jobs can be done once you gain the self-belief to attempt them.
>> i can lay claim to fitting my new kitchen last week. i gutted the whole
>> room and changed all the plubing and chased a mile of cable into the wall
>> with a hand chisel.
>> it looks great and pretty easy if you have the paitence and the proper tools

Yup, one of the proper tools being a power wall chaser. Cuts out all that hammer and chisel lark. Hire it down your local hire place.

I have done two kitchens, both gutted back to bare walls with no services and started from scratch. Its hard work.
I don't intend to do it from scratch the floor needs levelling, new sockets need fitting, it needs a new ceiling etc, all that will be done by the pros. All I will do be doing is fitting the units (with help), plumbing in the new sink and the rest of the services are already in.
 Get any motoring presents? - Ted

Ratto, I have some very good contacts for this sort of work.

SiL is a first class plasterer and builder.
We've just done his kitchen from the brickwork which included making two rooms into one and then taking out another wall and fitting an RSJ.

We've replumbed and rewired and fitted a new kitchen and appliances. Just had the worktops done by a lad from Stockport who I cannot recommend too highly. He did ours a couple of years ago.

There's a flooring firm on Albany Road who really know their stuff about screeding and levelling. We had them to fit the Amtica in our kitchen and since then they've done all our carpets and floors.

Ted
 Get any motoring presents? - VxFan
Got 3 model cars from one of the Top Gear challenges.

JC's Toybota Hilux, RH's Dampervan, and May's Triumph Herald.

Need to put up a shelf now to display them. Rattle, can I borrow your drill ;)
 Get any motoring presents? - nyx2k

>> Yup, one of the proper tools being a power wall chaser. Cuts out all that
>> hammer and chisel lark. Hire it down your local hire place.
>>
>> I have done two kitchens, both gutted back to bare walls with no services and
>> started from scratch. Its hard work.
>>

i never thought to hire anything like that. would have saved hours of time. Doh.

its been fun especialy doing the leveling of the floor. got some liquid type cement that self leveled and dried over night and i even remembered to put a sttrip of wood to stop it going into the hallway.
 Get any motoring presents? - Stuu
Got Clarksons latest book, looking forward to that.

I also go the Senna DVD and another history of F1 book ( last year my dementia affected nan got me 4 of them :-p ).

I have the Top Gear Handbook ( not sure what that is yet ) and some device for digging yourself out of snow ( Ray Mears style ), which will come in handy this year huh :-)
 Get any motoring presents? - Pat
I got a Valentino Rossi calender :)

Pat
I know, Ians bum is leathers is nowhere near as sweet and girly as Valentinos is it.
 Get any motoring presents? - Stuu
Yes well I now have to suffer a Take That calender on my kitchen wall for a second year running thanks to be in-laws.
I have negotiated the removal of the Take That calender from the bedroom though, I refused to have that inflicted on me for a second year. Its teddy bears this year so im chalking that up as a win.
 Get any motoring presents? - Mike Hannon
Stirling Moss Scrapbook, 1956-1960. Excellent. I've been wondering for weeks what was in the enormous but flat Amazon cardboard packet.
I did get one of those heat retaining mugs that were mentioned in an earlier thread. £22 but well made with a 4 hour heat retention claim.

I say ' I got one ' What actually happens is that I order it off Amazon and pay for it. Then I give it to SWM to give me as a pressie.

Then I whistle for the money !

Oh, I got a tinplate policeman full of shortbreads and a tinplate locomotive full of sweets from a good friend who is quite aware that I'm diabetic. Both now passed down to 7 yr old Grandson.

Madness...innit ?

Ted
Last edited by: Ted on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 22:56
let me know how the mug goes ted, I have chrissy prezzie money burning a hole in my pocket.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 22:57
 Get any motoring presents? - Runfer D'Hills
I got one in Tescos for £2.00. Seems to work.
>> I got one in Tescos for £2.00. Seems to work.
>>

I've used one for some years, better than some of the branded ones as you can have the handle whichever way round you like. Strips down for cleaning too; quick tip, if like me you use the thing daily, the lid benefits from an occasional soak in a solution of Miltons fluid. Keeps any nasties from growing under the sliding bit.
 Get any motoring presents? - Runfer D'Hills
Thanks I'll pass that tip on to the scullery maid. I don't mind at all trying to ease her burdens a little as she ages...

:-)
>> Thanks I'll pass that tip on to the scullery maid. I don't mind at all
>> trying to ease her burdens a little as she ages...
>>
>> :-)
>>

Just be careful she don't read this and soak it in Jeyes Fluid instead! ;-)
>> let me know how the mug goes ted, I have chrissy prezzie money burning a
>> hole in my pocket.
>>

Did a big tidy up jobbie on the garage/workshop today. It was an ideal time to test the mug so I made a fresh cafetiere and put a mugful in the new device. It had a drop of cold milk in so it wasn't boiling.

It took me about 2 hours to finish it and it was still very hot at the end.....it was a cold day.
Same after lunch so when I came in I did a rigorous and scientific test using all my extensive skills and laboratory facilities.

First, I took the lid off and filled it to the line with boiling water......this was 1700 hrs. I tested at 1930 hrs with the insertion of a digit into the water. It was too hot to stay in. At 2100 hrs I did the same, again it was uncomfortable to stay in for long and would have been hot enough to make an acceptable cup of tea. I tested again at 2230 hrs and it was ' quite warm ' ( technical term there...clever, eh ? )

It's a well made bit of kit, It seals totally. I half-filled it with water to clean it and shook it like a Rottweiler with a neighbour's cat. Nothing came out. It has a comfortable rubber grip round the top and the push button ' plug ' mechanism works very well.

Test and report fee 120 guineas....I thang yew !

Ted
 Get any motoring presents? - hawkeye
At the other end of the scale ...

Aldi tyre pressure gauge with light, seat-belt knife and pointy thing for cracking windows.

Complete "Long Way Round" 3 DVD set. No I didn't managed to see all the episodes when they cropped up on TV.
 Get any motoring presents? - Boxsterboy
I got a Haynes Body Care Kit. A lot of packaging with nice cut-away drawings of VW Transporter Camper Vans Round rather small body shampoo, hair gel, and bath salts.

Our 11-year old lad got the T G book.
I got a Haynes Body Care Kit. A lot of packaging with nice cut-away drawings of VW Transporter Camper Vans Round rather small body shampoo, hair gel, and bath salts.

Our 11-year old lad got the T G book.
 Get any motoring presents? - Armel Coussine
A DVD of Claude Lelouch's bombing-through-early-morning-Paris movie C'était un rendezvous. Seen it before but it's great stuff.

Since it's a DVD with luck it will also have Lelouch's account of how it was done, with a camera on the front bumper of his big Mercedes saloon and entirely (but very well for a change) faked Ferrari/Porsche sound-effects, gear changes, tyre squeal and so on. He did the driving himself and the camera was operated by the crew in the back seats. Lelouch is a proper car freak and it's a brilliant minimalist piece of work.
It's amazing how empty the Paris streets were in those days, even allowing for the early morning shoot. I get most pleasure from the period Parisienne street architecture and the cars.
 Get any motoring presents? - crocks
I got my first Satnav. I didn't think I needed one but SWMBO obviously disagreed!

Tried it out in the passenger seat on a 90 mile trip to Dorset yesterday. All very time consuming at first - I'm glad I wasn't driving.

PS - Also got the Senna DVD
Last edited by: Crocks on Tue 27 Dec 11 at 22:00
This is the run I got the voucher for

www.exhilaratescotland.com/tours.html#!openModal/7/

and it turns out I drive 5 of the following cars:

www.exhilaratescotland.com/cars.html

life's a bitch eh???
And then you climb back into and go home with the Diesel Altea.

Yup, life's a real bitch at times.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Dec 11 at 23:05
I got a voucher for a birthday to drive an Aston Martin. When we arrived the Aston Martin was not there - broken down was the excuse. I had to drive a Ferrari or drive all the way home and rebook... I drove the Ferrari. Had a trip round the track in the Lotus Elise and then did an off road in a Discovery.

But the point of the voucher was it was an Aston Martin! Not that I'll get one. If I had the money I'd use it for something else. And we're getting there :-)
 Get any motoring presents? - AshT
Another Senna DVD here - going to sit down with the eldest two tonight and watch it.
Watched then Senna DVD yesterday for the first time - thoroughly enjoyed it!
>>And then you climb back into and go home with the Diesel Altea.

Might not be at that point ;)
 Get any motoring presents? - R.P.
I treated myself to this....

www.amazon.co.uk/TT-Closer-Edge-Guy-Martin/dp/B005CHE5CK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325160900&sr=8-1
 Get any motoring presents? - Pat
So did Ian, and we watched it on Boxing Day:)

Pat
 Get any motoring presents? - Hard Cheese

Senna Blueray here, will watch it tonight I think.

Get any motoring presents? - R.P.
I was as well, but the disc had mysteriously disappeared....found it now though !
 Get any motoring presents? - Alastairw
Even better when shown in 3D on the big screen. I don't actually like bikes much, but Guy Martin and his amigos gave a good account of the thrills and spills available.
Latest Forum Posts