Motoring Discussion > choice for next car Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Infiniti Man Replies: 132

choice for next car - Infiniti Man
Hi all

Not posted for a long time, but I am an occasional visitor......

I am in the fortunate position to have £35k(ish) set aside to buy myself a really nice car. I'm looking for :
4 door saloon, reasonably spacious
Fast, fun to drive
Reasonable fuel economy
Luxurious interior
Reliable
Up to a year old

I have drawn up a shortlist, as follows :

Jag XF 3.0d S portfolio (probably pre facelift, as better value)
Merc CLS 350 Cdi coupe (new shape)
Lexus LS600h (OK, will need to go to about 3 years old to fit into budget)
Infiniti M hybrid (left field choice, but had an Infiniti G on a year's lease and really liked the car)

I have already test driven the first 2, but not the second 2 yet. So which would you choose and why?

Thanks

choice for next car - Zero
>
>>
>> Jag XF 3.0d S portfolio (probably pre facelift, as better value)

XF? ooo No look whats available in the under 35k price range.....

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201151436487121

The new XJ

I don't need to blather on about the "why" when you see this do I?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 25 Dec 11 at 11:05
Zero, thanks.

I did consider an XJ, but not too sure about the interior (a bit OTT?) plus I do feel that driving one of those, you are making a statement about yourself (whether you like it or not), which I don't think you are with the other cars.

OK, to be blunt, quite a lot of redundancies at work recently, not sure I would be happy driving into the office car park in an XJ!!!
Ah! but you didn't mention "discrete" in your requirement. Kinda rules any any fast fun to drive stylish 35k car tho doesn't it?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 25 Dec 11 at 11:21
Zero, I disagree.

I accept the Merc is fairly 'in your face', but I would say the XF, Lexus and Infiniti are all pretty discrete. The XF is a pretty common sight and there are quite a lot of cheaper versions of it, and the Lexus is very understated. The Infiniti is pretty discrete as well, because no-one knows what it is!
 choice for next car - Avant
Out of that list it would be the XF for me: the XJ is simply bigger and worth considering only if you want the extra space.

Personally if I had £35k I'd have an Audi, just as many on here would go for a BMW: presumably you've decided they're not for you. The Infiniti has the advantage of not having too strong an image, so better for being discreet (sic) in the works car park; but the downside is there there may not be many around as they sell in such small numbers.
Last edited by: Avant on Sun 25 Dec 11 at 13:06
 choice for next car - BobbyG
For £35k, and having to be discrete at work, I would buy 2 cars. Maybe a one or two year old luxury barge for work and a play thing for evenings and weekends?
Thanks for thoughts so far.

Apologies to Zero. I have been doing some more research on the XJ, and, while it is far from discreet, I have to admit it is a beautiful looking car, both inside and out, and seems like very good value at a year old. So I think it needs to come on to my list, and the Lexus come off.

As regards other comments, Bobby, I only really have room for one car, and Avant, I think if I go down the German car route, it would be the Merc over BMW or Audi.

So, with thanks to Zero, the revised list is :

Jag XFS portfolio
Jag XJ (not sure which spec)
Merc CLS
Infiniti M hybrid

Any more thoughts?
 choice for next car - NortonES2
Late Honda Legend V6. All the bits, reliable, 4wd, discreet, and leaves circa £15,000 to spend on something that appreciates rather than swallow-dives:) Gold?
 choice for next car - -
Why remove the Lexus from the list, it would have the car of choice for me.

Does everything the others do and will continue to do so for many years, discreet modern but traditional which is a rare combination, very good and proper car looking, whilst others except the XJ are anything but.

choice for next car - rtj70
If it's meant to be fun then I'd say that rules out the Lexus.

Of that list then maybe the Jaguar. I am surprised there are no decent BMWs like a 5 series on that list. Something like a 535d.
 choice for next car - Runfer D'Hills
E Class estate. Looks practical. Goes like ....

:-)
>> E Class estate. Looks practical. Goes like ....

Your one is a slug compared to this

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201151437264647
An injured slug in fact. Still ok though.

choice for next car - nick1975
Vw phaeton or cit c6
 choice for next car - Hard Cheese

E Class coupe if 2 doors OK perhaps a C350 CDi estate if load lugging is needed otherwise a 535d fits the bill.
 choice for next car - DP
The XF is lovely, but my old boss had no end of trouble with his. 3.0 V6 diesel (non-S) Premium Luxury on an 09 plate.

Lots of build quality issues (wind noise from drivers door, creaking steering column, rattles), plus suspension bush failures, electrical faults and auto box issues all in less than 40,000 miles.

He actually referred to it as a "pile of crap" at the end.

choice for next car - nyx2k
im going to my local jaguar dealer later to see if there is a deal to be done on a 6month old XJ Deisel premium luxury with the strecthed body.
screen price of 32k or if not they have some lovely XF's
 choice for next car - Stuu
With these sort of cars its pretty subjective. Id be drawn to things like the Lexus, a Citroen C6 and VW Phaeton, but thats because I dont like flashy cars, so it either has to be bland but capable or so weird people dont know what it is ( Citroen ).

Of the original list, id pick the Lexus though the GS hybrid aint bad either, LS is a bit large.
 choice for next car - -
>> Of the original list, id pick the Lexus though the GS hybrid aint bad either,
>>

I agree Stu, in fact there is currently an 11 plate SE spec GS450h with i think 3k miles on it at one of the Lexus dealers for £30k on ebay classifieds.

The only downside to them is the very restricted boot, the upsides of having total reliability coupled with dealerships and a maker who still strive to retain customers would pull me strongly in their direction.

There was a note above about a Lexus not being fun, well indeed a luxury car of this sort isn't going to be a hot hatch but a GS will leave a Porsche in its wake and LS is faster still, and both do it almost silently.

Whatever others think of HJ (and i really don't understand the animosity that surfaces now and again), his and his mate's (Martin Guidon?) roadtests and appraisals are intersting, different to the usual and worth looking up, i doubt very much they are being wooed by any makers to say the right thing.
Thanks to all for your comments. I'm pleased to say (or perhaps it just makes me sad) that I have considered many of the cars being mentioned.

Just to pick up on a few :

Honda Legend - a bit too anonymous, plus poor fuel economy (I fully appreciate that savings on purchase price would more than cover increased fuel costs, but the wife doesn't see it like that - she would rather I spent more on a car up-front and have lower running costs).

BMW/Audi - sorry, but just too many around, and all the variants (esp the Audi) just look the same to me. If I go for a German car, it would be the Merc CLS

Lexus GS - I did drive one a few months ago and found it bland - a bit worried I would think the same of the LS

Despite initially dismissing the idea, I am drawn to an XJ. They do seem to be fantastic value for what you get (though £32k for a 6mth old PL seems extremely good value, and better than what I can find on the internet). They have the same diesel engine as in the XF - I have driven a few of these and loved the engine.

I guess my concerns with the XJ are :

a) width - will I be able to cope with parking it in a car park and risk other people denting such a wide car? But I know Jag do a deal where, for £500 up-front, you can get someone out to deal with small dings and dents

b) image - will everybody think I'm a rich git, esp at work? Or should I just say I don't care what others think? And park it near the directors' cars at work, and hope the chauffeurs think it's one of theirs and clean it for me?

What sort of image do you think the XJ gives off? Should that be a concern for me?
"My rich uncle bought it, but became ill and cant drive any more. Rather than sell it and loose a fortune on it to someone he doesn't know, he offered it to me as a bargain. Its a bit flash for me, but I have to drive it around to please him, and at that price I couldn't turn it down."

Problemo solved.
 choice for next car - -
XJ width isn't so much of an issue as length, XF and as well XJ only just fitted through the bodywork when i used to deliver the things (mirrors had to be in as with all modern cars over hatchback size) wheels being a big problem seeing how skittish they could be, the XJ is considerably longer causing us to put one less vehicle on the truck if all were XJ's, they are huge.

Do check any of your choices is adequate in wet/icy conditions is the only thing i would suggest, Lexus 600 might have an edge here but i don't know if the system is programmed to give 4WD benefits in slippery conditions, might be worth investigating further but if the car is too bland then obviously thats out anyway.

Image wise none would worry me in the least, our company XF's don't really look any different to the new Mondeos or Audi 6's in the car park to be honest, just another slightly large current shaped car with bigger lights, XJ will arouse some interest because its lights are not the same bling efforts as every other repmobile currently made, so it does stand out as something of an individual choice, bit like a C6 but for other reasons, i would assume the owner was someone who thinks a bit differently to others, whether thats an image you would want i don't know and it is only my opinion.

In terms of refined good looks i would put the XJ and Lexus 600 on similar planes as quietly handsome without bling thank goodness.

choice for next car - Armel Coussine
>> XF for me: the XJ is simply bigger and worth considering only if you want the extra space.

My very thought. Plus, the XJ looks like a Peugeot or Citroen somehow from the rear. Not that that would put anyone off of course.
You are renowned for your appalling taste in cars.
If you can do without good MPG and maybe a bit of the fun factor, how about a 3.6l Passat CC (it's all wheel drive so traction is good). Also has a DSG.

Okay you'll not find many but a two year old one is probably half your budget.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 12:14
Re Jaguar image, alot of my valeting customers drive Jags, older ones and newer ones.

They are perceived as less brash than the German offerings, they are indeed less showy despite being handsome or perhaps because of it.

choice for next car - nyx2k
i went to look and drive a mint c6 a few months ago and it was very cheap from a dealer localy.
i loved every thing about it but i hated the leasther on the seats. felt like cheap plastic and i couldnt live with it and i couldnt get the price down far enough to be able to reupholster it in nicer grade leather.

the jag is perfect in every way. ive always loved the jaguars and im torn between a 2 yr x350 or the nearly new xj-l.

the stretched loks prettier to me than the normal one. i can get them down to 31000 inc 3 services for cash sale. the deal has to be done before the end of december. they didnt have any x350's aluminum bodys but have seen perfect exaples at £13-15k.
 choice for next car - ....
>> i loved every thing about it but i hated the leasther on the seats. felt
>> like cheap plastic and i couldnt live with it and i couldnt get the price
>> down far enough to be able to reupholster it in nicer grade leather.
>>
Anything sub-£50k new is cheap plastic leather doesn't matter what the badge...

No mention of residuals, annual running costs...May as well say I've got £35k to blow up the wall. What do you reckon ?

Further up the post mentions being discrete with a £35k car but no mention of the area. In the SE £35k wouldn't make a ripple in a Chelsea car park whereas it would make a huge splash in the Longbenton DSS car park.
Last edited by: gmac on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 23:20
>> Anything sub-£50k new is cheap plastic leather doesn't matter what the badge...

Nappa leather on the seats in my Passat CC are not like plastic. Unlike the Milano leather in some Audi's I've been in.
>> >> Anything sub-£50k new is cheap plastic leather doesn't matter what the badge...
>>
>> Nappa leather on the seats in my Passat CC are not like plastic. Unlike the
>> Milano leather in some Audi's I've been in.
>>
Sit in a £200k Bentley then compare...it'll be like sitting on a crisp packet in the VW.
I've been around the Bentley assembly lines at Crewe etc. Yes the workmanship etc that goes into it is fine. But the leather on my VW is still nice and soft. But that's from it being Nappa leather.

What experience of leather does gmac have? I feel he's been let down in a car with poor leather.
Ooooh leather ! My favourite subject....rubs knees in controlled anticipation of debate to follow...

:-))
The leather in the Altea that went back was akin to a Japanese antique cabinet, Hard black and shiny.
 choice for next car - corax
>> What experience of leather does gmac have? I feel he's been let down in a
>> car with poor leather.

Well, I doubt it would be his S60. Good seats and nice leather (Assuming they are leather seats). But it needs to be looked after, leather goes hard and shiny if not cleaned and fed. Loses it's smell too. I wonder how many people specify leather seats then can't be bothered to keep it nice. Of course it does depend on the quality you start with. I've only had one car with leather seats - Rover SD1 Vanden Plas. And they were good - after being worked on.
Last edited by: corax on Tue 27 Dec 11 at 11:27
Cleaning both an X-Type Jag and a top of the range XKR, there is a detail difference in the quality of the leather. Its much softer in the XKR and there are far less obvious plastic surfaces aswell - things like electric seat buttons are ( I think ) metal of some kind, they feel cold to the touch, whereas in the X-Type they are black plastic.

The difference between a £30k and an £80k car is easy enough to see if compared back to back.
Thanks all for the further replies.

I have had a quick look this afternoon at the M hybrid, the Lexus LS600 and the Jag XJ. I intend to take test drives in each later this week, and will update with my thoughts. But initial visual impressions are :

M hybrid - quite an appealing car (but knew that anyway), not a lot of boot space due to batteries

Lexus LS - absolutely beautiful interior, this car had 66k miles on it but you would never know

Jag XF - stunning interior, but it really is a very wide car, and I'm not sure how practical that is in everyday situations.

By the way, regarding leather quality, I previously had an Infiniti G (rather < £50k car), and the leather in that was fantastic - lovely and soft - so I would expect the M hybrid to be similar.
Even the original Lexus LS400 was capable of totally fooling you as to its mileage.

Theres plenty at 300k that have many years left in them and ive seen an H-reg one with 500k on the clock and at idle it was STILL virtually silent, it barely looked like it had 50k on the clock, they wear remarkably well hence they are so highly regarded by many.

The thing with a Lexus is, its all about the build, the finish. Take a close look at the paint, try every button, see the thought put into how its made. Thats what always impresses me when I clean them, you have to be very abusive to make an impression on one and more often than not, the kind of people who buy them take care of them.

>> The thing with a Lexus is, its all about the build, the finish. Take a
>> close look at the paint, try every button, see the thought put into how its
>> made.

Agreed. One example - they use karman vortex airflow sensors because they are simpler, more reliable and respond quicker allowing more accurate fuelling.

craftautoparts.com/karman_vortex_airflow_sensors.html

The average bod couldn't care less about these details but I find it really interesting. And I've got the anorak to prove it.
Last edited by: corax on Tue 27 Dec 11 at 17:17
But its utterly utterly boring, lacking in any style or class.
This really isn't an attempt to wind anyone up but I think you've just summed up my view of most Eastern cars Z. Can't knock many of them for what they do but the styling is just never quite right somehow. Bit like when M&S try to do fashion.
 choice for next car - CGNorwich
"like when M&S try to do fashion."

you mean my Christmas jumper might not cut it?
I wanted a Christmas jumper this year. I felt I had reached the appropriate age. My wife forbade it though. I shall defy her next year.
 choice for next car - Kevin
>I wanted a Christmas jumper this year. I felt I had reached the appropriate age.

If you've reached an appropriate age Humph, I think you might mean cardigan (leather or wooden buttons ?)

>My wife forbade it though. I shall defy her next year.

Mmm, I suppose that black E-class estate will come in useful then.
>> But its utterly utterly boring, lacking in any style or class.

True, and although I admire their engineering, for the budget that the OP has I'd rather have something that made me feel good from an aesthetic point of view.

>> What experience of leather does gmac have? I feel he's been let down in a
>> car with poor leather.
>>
SAAB, Volvo, Peugeot, Audi are all cars I've owned with leather interiors. I've also been in a Bentley and, as I mentioned above, the difference is very, very noticeable. The Bentley leather actually felt as though it had been part of a living breathing animal.
 choice for next car - Iffy
Save about £10K and buy a top spec Mondeo.

Worth a drive in one at least, I've not had a go in a new one with all the toys, but most people say they are the business.

You might be right Iffy.

Well, it's Christmas...

choice for next car - mikeyb
VW Phaeton - get quite a bit for 35K, and most people will think its a big passat so ticks the discrete box
>> Save about £10K and buy a top spec Mondeo.
>>
>> Worth a drive in one at least, I've not had a go in a new
>> one with all the toys, but most people say they are the business.
>>
A few people have said how impressed they were with the new Mondeo but I'm not one. The one I had at the end of October didn't make me think add that to the list come replacement time.
Wouldn't have suited the fish badge thing gmac?

choice for next car - Boxsterboy
Not driven any, but having read the reports, it would be between a 5-series and an XF for me. And possibly an Audi.

The Infiniti and Lexus simply do not cut it at this level of the market. The E-class and CLS are just so unnecessarily ugly compared to their predecessors (speaking as a former Mercedes E-class owner).

The Germans and the Jag are 'common' for a reason - they're good. Don't let that put you off.
...and the Jag are 'common' for a reason - they're good...

Pal of mine had an XF, very pleased, but he got rid after last winter because it was so poor on snow.

Apparently you can get special tyres....

Last edited by: Iffy on Wed 28 Dec 11 at 17:11
 choice for next car - Clk Sec
>>Apparently you can get special tyres....

Noooooooo!
>Pal of mine had an XF, very pleased, but he got rid after last winter because it was so poor on snow.

There nothing wrong with them in snow if you know how to drive a RWD auto in the slippery stuff. I got through the fiasco around Basingstoke in my XJ with very little difficulty.
Kevin

I am going to test drive the XJ tomorrow. Do you have the latest XJ and, if so, can I ask you :

a) how do you find dealing with the size of the car (esp width) in car parks etc?
b) I hate squeaks/rattles, and there seem to have been a fair few complaints (esp in the US) re rattles and especially 'roof popping'. Have you had these issues?
c) how do you feel about the car and would you buy another?

Thanks in advance
 choice for next car - Westpig
>> and especially 'roof popping'. Have you had these issues?

Before I left London, I had both my cars (Jags) fettled at an independent Jag specialist.

He has ties with Jag as he used to work for them ...he is aware of the roof problems on the new XJ as he told me about them. They've been fixing them sharpish under warranty.

I know i'm biased..but...my impression is Jag is quite good at covering stuff like that as long as the car is serviced with them.
>I am going to test drive the XJ tomorrow. Do you have the latest XJ and, if so, can I ask you :

Sorry, mine's an X350 Sovereign, the previous model.

However, having said that, the new XJ is only 37mm longer and actually 3mm narrower than the old model, although it looks much bigger. 5127mm x 2105mm against 5090 x 2108 according to Jaguar.

I don't usually have problems with parking spaces, even the ridiculously small spaces in some NCPs are OK if you're careful. Getting out is helped by the seat and steering wheel retracting automatically.

Can't help with rattles and squeaks I'm afraid, other than to say my X350 doesn't have any.

How do I feel about the car? - I love it. You can't get anywhere near the combination of performance, handling, ride quality and comfort in any other car. The Germans still don't understand ride quality and the big Lexus ride well but don't handle (unless they've made improvements over the LS430 a friend had).

Would I buy another XJ? - Yes, definitely - my previous daily-driver was an XJ.
 choice for next car - -
>> There nothing wrong with them in snow if you know how to drive a RWD
>> auto in the slippery stuff. I got through the fiasco around Basingstoke in my XJ
>> with very little difficulty.
>>

XF is not in the same league as your XJ, and not just in the snow.

When the silly fashion for dustbin lid tyres finally goes the way of shell suits and tracky bottoms (still worn by daytime TV 'stars') and some supple rubber returns things will hopefully improve.

...XF is not in the same league as your XJ,...

That figures, my mate's XF was stranded on level ground packed with a few inches of snow.

He tried the lot, feathering the throttle, trying to persuade it to pull away in a higher gear, going backwards - it just wouldn't go.
English is he ?

...English is he ?...

Wouldn't be a friend if he wasn't.

To be serious, modern nose-heavy over-tyred cars are rubbish in snow.

BMW know this, which is why the dealers offer a winter tyre exchange fitting and storing service.

Jaguar must also know this, but I'm not sure if they've done much about it.

That MX-5 RP is selling is just as bad - one of the solicitors at court got rid of hers for that reason, despite liking the car in other respects.

choice for next car - R.P.
An MX5 is for fun not for thrashing around in the snow.
I used to enjoy hooning about in my Westfield in the snow. Had Spax adjustables so you could raise the ride height and go play ! Once took it through Kielder on hard packed snow after a Husky race. Outrageously good fun. Had to buy fish suppers on the way back, not to eat but to use as a thermal packs under our coats ! Microwaved them back to life when we got home. No heater y'see !
...An MX5 is for fun not for thrashing around in the snow...

Not an ideal daily driver - as she found out.

She also had a problem with vandalism, which could happen with any car regularly parked outside police stations and courts.

Yeah, you get such a nice class of customer.
...Yeah, you get such a nice class of customer...

Residents of Durham City are convinced the crown court, and in particular the three prisons, bring criminal activity to their doorsteps.

Many visitors to prisons are ex-cons, and will be inclined to offend on their way to or from the jail.

Mrs RP has owned 3 MX5 over the last 11-12 years from new -the current one has been parked outside Police Stations and public car-parks (including Rhyl !) - never had a mechanical or vandal problem, it's a lifestyle choice - you compromises in other areas of your motoring life or buy a second car as a runaround. It's going as she feels she no longer gets the best use out of it and we need a dog toting machine !
>> and we
>> need a dog toting machine !

Last time I looked the V50 had fairly posh trim in the boot area. Seems a shame to let a dog loose on it. I trust you'll be investing in a good boot liner and a hideously expensive dog guard for Muttley :)

I inherited a boot liner from Laidlaws Ford in the eighties - although it doesn't fit perfectly, I have transferred it from car to car and it's still in perfectly good order - really impressed by it's toughness.
 choice for next car - Dog
Bought the Lancer Estate to put Mutley in, addit 6 months now and he's not bin in it innit,

Tooo nice!

>> Bought the Lancer Estate to put Mutley in, addit 6 months now and he's not
>> bin in it innit,
>>
>> Tooo nice!
>>

Yeah, if I had another loving, faithful old hound I would think it was too nice to put it in a Lancer estate ...

;-)
Y'all ain't seen dog hairs until y'all seen R/Ridgeback hairs - evil little things that get everywhere!!

And ... don't 4get I lives in da woods so e don't need a ride in a mota.

:)
Funnily enough I rang the Mercedes dealer near here this morning to check out the availability and prices of bootliners for the E Class. £60 odd + VAT for the basic one and £140 something + VAT for a "high sided" one.

Phew !!

Must be a better deal on 'tinterweb.
I've just come to the computer for a google much along the same lines
Cheap as chips on Fleabay - between 14.85 and 35.00...for the V5.

So have you bought a V5 now PU? If so which engine?

Its a 60 plated D4 5 pot - with 2.0 litres and 177 bhp - no longer available for the V50 apparently - it was either that one or a skinny latte 1.6d (115 bhp)

>> D4 5 pot - with 2.0 litres and 177 bhp >>

I have driven that engine is a C30 and new S60, some torque steer in the former, quite punchy, In considered one as an alternative to the 123d.

>> no longer available for the V50 apparently>>

I wonder why not?

>> I wonder why not?

Too much power for your average Scout leader I expect.

I don't know, it's only recently been deleted, the original sales-bloke still thought it was spec, the one we dealt with knew that it had been chopped. The engine is still available in other models, probably not selling well against the de-decaffeinated versions. No torque steer in evidence on this one and it was driven quite enthusiastically on the test-drive.
Just walked past a bright red one ( V50 ) with black leather on this PM's dog stroll. Very nice actually.
I honestly think it is, the cabin feels a little better and more premium than the BMWs I've driven, I rather like the R Design "Deco" seating and fabrics (leather seats) - the "floating" centre console looks very arty...
I still woudn't allow Milo in the Mitsi, even with a boot liner, his hairs are such evil little things there are even some in the car and he's never even been in there!

Leather 'int' of course, but not real Leather like ya get in Jaags n' Mercs, like.
>> When the silly fashion for dustbin lid tyres finally goes the way of shell suits
>> and tracky bottoms

Oh dear, are they alright for gardening?
(he says sheepishly packing them away at the back of the drawer)

:)
 choice for next car - -
>> Oh dear, are they alright for gardening?
>>

If you have to i suppose;), though i'm still a devotee to the good old boiler suit for protective wear especially working on cars.

Warm in winter as a complete extra layer, cool in summer with nothing on underneath...swinging...kinky eh!
>> Warm in winter as a complete extra layer, cool in summer with nothing on underneath...swinging...kinky
>> eh!

Just watch those ones with poppers or Velcro tho....

How is the Pampas grass coming along?
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 10:44
 choice for next car - -
>> How is the Pampas grass coming along?
>>

Even SWM has a puzzled look, it must be a cryptic one, give us a clue.
See previous threads about the signals that waving Pampas grass send !!
Never tried swinging. Knowing my luck I'd end up with the bulldog chewing a wasp lookalike from number 37...
 choice for next car - Pat
She probably wouldn't fancy you much either, but if you do it properly, I don't think looks matter much:)

Pat
Sooner have a cup of tea.
or you could end up with her

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8923263/Mariella-Frostrup-accidentally-invites-swingers-with-pampas-grass.html
We had a large clump of invasive Pampas grass in the gardens at work.

Took two thirds out of it.

Tools used?

A mini digger.

We left them in the yard to dispose of and a bloke turned up and asked if he could have it. I said your welcome to it if you can shift it. He turned up with a lady friend (?) and a sack barrow and proceded to struggle out of the park with this huge clump of grass.

I should have had a closer look at them...
>> Never tried swinging. Knowing my luck I'd end up with the bulldog chewing a wasp
>> lookalike from number 37...

you could sniff her nice leather boots tho Humph...
I heard Volvo estates were another "sign". Bit Margot and Gerry if you get the drift...Might have misheard but y'know, no smoke without fire etc...

choice for next car - -
Blimey, some dark horses lurk here, thanks for sharing some your remarkably in deep knowledge of swinging.;)
>> Wouldn't have suited the fish badge thing gmac?
>>
>> :-))
>>
Got to give you Messerschmidt pilots something to aim for in the crosshairs...

Just come back to provide an update. Been to look at an XJ Portfolio this afternoon. On a 2010 plate, with 20k miles, and in caviar, with an ivory interior (probly my favourite combination).

They never give you a very long test drive, do they? As I had no intention of buying the car there and then, I didn't feel I could ask for a longer drive.

Anyway, my impressions :
Great to drive, very responsive and fast
Beautifully refined
Absolutely loved the interior - leather and wood everywhere. Very individual and 'bespoke'
Did not particularly like the side/rear tinting, as it made it hard to see out of
Despite its size, it doesn't feel big to drive - use of steel apparently means it's lighter than the XF, and that certainly helps

All in all, I loved the car. But, there's always a but, I don't think I would want that particular car, as it has already had 3 owners (Jag + 2 private), which would be a concern, I think.

So, thanks to Zero, I have to say, the XJ is very definitely on the list. I will cross off the XF, as I just can't see myself going for 1 of those if I could have an XJ instead!!

I am driving the Lexus and Infiniti tomorrow, and will let you know how I get on.
Forgot to say the XJ was up for £39k, which would certainly be pushing the budget. I did agree £30k with my wife, but think I can push up to £35k but no more!!
Oppps I'll not be on the invite for afternoon tea then.
Zero, don't worry about it. My wife doesn't like any of the cars on my list, but she never does. Although she'll moan about whatever I decide to go for, it's the one (and only) thing that I am ultimately allowed to decide for myself!!
 choice for next car - BiggerBadderDave
"Forgot to say the XJ was up for £39k, which would certainly be pushing the budget. I did agree £30k with my wife, but think I can push up to £35k but no more!!"

Go on, around £39k and we're around the Bentley region. I was recently driving alongside with a Continental Flying Spur in my Lexus LS430 for a few km in Warsaw. Fell in love.

Time to start saving. 2005-2007 gets you late £30k to early £40k - and an extra 30cm of metal and double the horse power. 560 horses in the Flying Spur or 610 for the Flying Spur Speed. Fannytastic luxobarge.

Jumping Josaphat - ITMA!!
Welcome back BBD!

I was convinced it was an imposter until the last two words!
>with an ivory interior (probly my favourite combination).

I have the ivory leather and it does look good with the charcoal piping, carpets, belts etc.

It needs a bit more care than the regular leather though, especially if it's the ruched leather where dirt gets trapped in the folds.

I use Gliptone GT15 cleaner followed by GT11 conditioner every few months.

The conditioner also maintains the Olde English leather smell if you are into that type of thing, and they even do "Leather Scented Air Fresheners". Maybe something Humph could put on his Christmas wish list next year? Open necked shirt, chunky gold chain and Liquid leather medallion?

www.liquidleather.com/leather-scented-air-fresheners.htm
Mmmmm...nice !
"I have the ivory leather and it does look good with the charcoal piping, carpets, belts etc."

Reminds me about my wife's sister too. Leather, carpets, piping, trapped in the folds...

Seriously though, wouldn't buy anything without ivory leather. Black leather in a car is like sitting in a barrel of tar.

How's the XJ?
>>Black leather in a car is like sitting in a barrel of tar.

Only if you get it hot and wet.

My last two cars had black leather and both wore very well. Current one has pale beige leather. Very pleasing at the moment but time will tell. I'm frightened to dunk biscuits in my coffee in it at any speed for example. A hot wet custard cream could play havoc with the decor.
Wet custard creams are fine, Its those damp chocolate covered digestives you have to watch.
Timing is critical with a Digestive. Not for the faint hearted.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 22:54
yeah dunking time has to be just right, and flight path to mouth has to be the right angle of attack.
 choice for next car - CGNorwich
The ginger nut has proved to be superior over a wide range of temperatures and liquids and is least likely to fail catastrophically.
All very well but the ginger nut's Achilles heel is the depth of flavour. The whole point of the dunk is to amend the taste of the receiving biscuit. The Rich Tea now, there's a royal dunking biscuit but again the timing is all.
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 29 Dec 11 at 23:15
>A hot wet custard cream could play havoc with the decor.

It'll match your Chino's though ;-)
I do actually now own a pair of chinos. Italian ones of course. Flat front. Subtly distressed khaki fabric. Quite a fresh look I thought teamed with a heavy denim shirt and waxed nubuck military style boots.

"Only if you get it hot and wet."

Yeah, thinking about the wife's sister again...
 choice for next car - Lygonos
I see BBD's home from the clap-clinic at last.

Wb ;-)
The place lost a certain something for a while, probably our MoJo !
He's gonna love that Volvo RP...Heh heh !

Humph,

BEIGE - I mean really BEIGE ?
...well, more "cream" really...
 choice for next car - PeterS
>> ...well, more "cream" really...
>>

I'm sure MB call it 'almond' :-)
 choice for next car - swiss tony
>> My last two cars had black leather and both wore very well. Current one has
>> pale beige leather.

Oh no..... not with the contrasting baby pooh brown?
No, black wood-ish stuff
>> No, black wood-ish stuff
>>
I meant the contrasting soft trim... some Mercs with beige have nasty brown along side the light beige.
Not as bad ad the old BMW beige - now that did look like 1 day old baby pooh!
No contrasts on mine. Just "almond" ( thanks Peter ! ) leather teamed with black woody stuff which looks and feels like wood but maybe isn't and black carpets. Some metal trim too which feels and looks like metal but maybe isn't. Cool ambient downlighters on the inside door skins. I like them.
>> No contrasts on mine. Just "almond" ( thanks Peter ! ) leather teamed with black
>> woody stuff which looks and feels like wood but maybe isn't and black carpets. Some
>> metal trim too which feels and looks like metal but maybe isn't. Cool ambient downlighters
>> on the inside door skins. I like them.
>>
The 'wood' IS wood!
The metal, is metal in places, chromed plastic in others...
Only the Germans can make real wood look fake. Still at least one thing down your road is not mock wood.
 choice for next car - PeterS
I think the almond (!) leather with black carpets/dashboard looks really nice - all the benefits of a nice light interior without the impracticality of light coloured carpets. I bet the ambient lights under the wood on the doors/dash look fantastic with the light leather too. They look pretty good in mine, but I'm sure the effect is diluted with black leather.
Indeed, very effectively highlights the subtle texture distessing on my new chinos as it happens...

>How's the XJ?

An absolute delight. I look forward to getting in and starting her up every morning.

How's the wife's sister?
"How's the wife's sister?"

She's ok backing up but it's quite steep here. I had to help her yank it hard-on.
 choice for next car - Auntie Lockbrakes
Have you tried greasing the nipples on the rack?
Latest Forum Posts