Non-motoring > carp Gas!! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 40

carp Gas!! - devonite
over the last 3-4 days i`ve noticed a distinct decline in the quality of the gas flowing in the pipes!
Our lounge fire usually glows a nice bright orange and chucks out plenty of heat - lately it barely glows cherry=red, and unless you virtually sit on it there no heat!
We have to run thr hot tap for an age before the water gets to its maximum "comfortably warm" limit - usually its more than hand - hot.
The central heating normally gets the sitting room to 22c during its 2hr stint, now it fluctuates between 19 - 20c.
Is there a minimum calorific value for gas supplied? because me not like paying full whack for this carp stuff! how can i test what i getting supplied?

cheers
 carp Gas!! - Robin O'Reliant
I'd get the boiler checked out.
 carp Gas!! - devonite
Ah did cross my mind but was serviced in July, has been fine until 3-4 days ago, and the fire backs up that its not just a boiler issue! - tis definetly the gas quality! and i`ll try and confirm this at the pub later. ;-)
 carp Gas!! - Pat
I swear you lot have a crystal ball and I'm not happy about it:(

There was talk of log fires this morning and now you're talking about a decline in the quality of heat from your gas!

Spare a thought......the heat exchanger has gone in our heater and I've been without heat or hot water since yesterday morning.

I'm sitting round a greenhouse heater using a million Kw per minute and I'm still cold.

It is supposed to be here by 1pm tomorrow.

Pat
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
Right pain Pat - I could repeat the story about the central heating failing in a Housing Association and the attitude of the tenant about letting the engineer in to fix it. Some people don't realise how lucky they are.
 carp Gas!! - devonite
Well the Hostess is huddled under the duvet she bought "us" a couple of months ago, to try and keep heating costs down!
 carp Gas!! - Dog
=>I'm sitting round a greenhouse heater using a million Kw per minute and I'm still cold<=

Whereabouts exactly in North Korea do you live, I may be able to help.
 carp Gas!! - swiss tony
>> Is there a minimum calorific value for gas supplied? because me not like paying full
>> whack for this carp stuff! how can i test what i getting supplied?
>>
Easy...
Decant a small amount into a jam jar.
Hover a lighted match over said jam jar.

If the match goes out the gas is very poor in calorific value
If you lose your fingers the gas is poor in calorific value.
If you lose your hand the gas is average in calorific value.
If you lose you life, the gas is high in calorific value.

******** DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME! ************

Other tests may be available!
 carp Gas!! - teabelly
Perhaps there is a leak somewhere which is why the pressure is down? I'd call transco first and see whether they have noticed. Also wander around outside and see if you can smell gas anywhere.
 carp Gas!! - Zero
Yeeeeees, the first thing I would do is get the pressure tested, and pretty damn quick too.
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
I'd check for Carbon Monoxide as well, especially if there's a burn issue with the fire. Don't take any risks.
 carp Gas!! - Robin O'Reliant
>> I'd check for Carbon Monoxide as well, especially if there's a burn issue with the
>> fire. Don't take any risks.
>>
+1

I've just seen an item on Welsh News where a guy died last night due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Both his sons are in hospital, one critical.
 carp Gas!! - Armel Coussine
Hear these counsels of prudence devonite. I join their chorus.
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
That's what made me post.....I made a connection with the cold burning flame and unburnt CO....get it checked we can't afford to lose you !
 carp Gas!! - teabelly
CO is lighter than air which is why it is best to fit monitors on the ceiling. Portable ones are useful but you have to remember if they go off then the room is already half full of it!

Scary thing is that even regularly checked and serviced gas appliances can go wrong and kill you.

carp Gas!! - Dog
>>CO is lighter than air which is why it is best to fit monitors on the ceiling. Portable ones are useful but you have to remember if they go off then the room is already half full of it<<

Good point chabelly - mine is 5ft orf the floor (but not for long!) it did come with directions, but who needs em :(
 carp Gas!! - Skip
Possibly the regulator on the gas meter is faulty causing low pressure.
 carp Gas!! - Fursty Ferret
>> CO is lighter than air which is why it is best to fit monitors on
>> the ceiling. Portable ones are useful but you have to remember if they go off
>> then the room is already half full of it!
>>
>> Scary thing is that even regularly checked and serviced gas appliances can go wrong and
>> kill you.
>>
>>
>>

It's the same as air; you can put a carbon monoxide detector anywhere. You need to check pronto with your neighbours to see it they're experiencing the same problem. If needed don't hesitate to call 0800 111 999 and describe the problem.

Second the advice about having a wander outside to sniff for leaks.
 carp Gas!! - devonite
Sounds like it may be the regulator! - folks at pub haven`t noticed anything different.
Had a walk about just now and can`t smell anything.
Don`t think i`ll get much of a sleep tonight now tho, as i`ll have to wake "her" up to keep a "sniff-ouy"!! ;-)
Will def be ringing the "right" folk tomorrow tho` (Transco?) to get it checked.

Thanks for the concern tho` folks!! - nice to know you care! - Sincerely!
thanks.
 carp Gas!! - Iffy
I've done a few stories about CO deaths, it really is the silent killer.

In a couple of cases, the person felt unusually drowsy, but saved their life by leaving the room.

But what tends to happen is the drowsiness inevitably leads to you nodding off, then dying in your sleep.

Incidentally, the emergency services can usually tell if it's a CO death because when the body is discovered, it is a distinctive orange colour.

carp Gas!! - teabelly
I'm often sleepy. I'd never tell!
 carp Gas!! - bathtub tom
We haven't heard from Devonite this morning................................
 carp Gas!! - devonite
Engineer just been! - 3hrs since phone-call, not bad!! - twas something wrong with the regulator, he attached a pipe and meter, tested it for a couple of mins, twiddled with something, had a cup of coffee and a mince pie, re-twiddled something again, packed up and went!
Everything seems to be back to normal for now! ;-) I knew something wasn`t right !!

cheers folks!
 carp Gas!! - Iffy
Now we need a post from Pat to say she's sorted and we'll all be nice and toasty warm for Christmas.

carp Gas!! - Pat
I got sorted with heat and hottish water just after 2pm:)

Since then I have cleaned the oven and done the ironing now I can move again.

Just had both smoke alarms going because I heated the oven up to maximum to get rid of the smell of Mr Muscle before Christmas Day and now headbanging away to AC/DC:) Chris Tarrant is far better than SW!

Must go and close all the windoes now......

Pat
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
headbanging away to AC/DC

I was doing the very thing this afternoon in the car (Danger Zone and Since you've been gone !) - bad music to drive to...;-)
 carp Gas!! - Dog
=>- bad music to drive to -<=

Try Mantovani, Sahib.
 carp Gas!! - Dog
One for Tugboat ~ www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX0mb9VqBe8
 carp Gas!! - Focusless
>> I was doing the very thing this afternoon in the car (Danger Zone and Since
>> you've been gone !) - bad music to drive to...;-)

'Dad Rock' CD? :)
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
'Dad Rock' CD? :)

Sadly digitised originals from the vinyls (not really, I bought Rainbow's CDs from e-bay for a song)
 carp Gas!! - Pat
Update: Got rather warm with all the headbanging and turned the CH off.

Result: No hot water when the heating is off:(

Halstead Ace is the boiler if that helps.

Pat
 carp Gas!! - devonite
Probably draining down your C/H everytime you drew hot water! - maybe the 3-way valvy thing has stuck open?

You will have to continue H/banging till the engineer comes back then, this time of year twill be about tueday! ;-(
 carp Gas!! - RattleandSmoke
Those rock CDs always have the same songs on them. I don't think I have a single one of them which doesn't have More than a Feeling on it.

I am luckily enough to have a Rock radio station I can listen to in the car though :).
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 26 Dec 11 at 01:06
 carp Gas!! - teabelly
Might be diverter valve. I'd call the plumber out that did the work as he's clearly not been thorough!
 carp Gas!! - devonite
>>maybe the 3-way valvy thing has stuck open?

>>Might be diverter valve.

Yep thats what i meant! ;-)
 carp Gas!! - teabelly
I only know what it is called as I've had two of them go over the years!

A decent engineer would check hot water worked with no heating. Turn heating on and check rads got warm. And would also check you got hot water when heating was on.
 carp Gas!! - Pat
He checked we'd got hot water and heating, but we forgot to check the hot water with the heating off.

He's finished until after Christmas now so he can take his wife shopping tomorrow morning....but is coming here first:)

He said something about a diaphragm and a puncture repair kit. I sounds like the good old days when we all carried a diaphragm for a brake chamber in our toolkit, and knew how to change one on the side of the road!

I will have water AND heat for Christmas!

Pat
 carp Gas!! - devonite
that sounds like an expansion/pressure chamber type repair to me, may be wrong here, but if you already had heating, i cant see this giving you water!
 carp Gas!! - Zero
Not sure we can deal with tales of your diaphragm in your trucking days.
 carp Gas!! - R.P.
I did a double take..
 carp Gas!! - VxFan
>> Chris Tarrant is far better than SW!

50 / 50 I heard.

Perhaps though you ought to phone a friend and ask them.
Latest Forum Posts