Computer Related > Internet Explorer users Computing Issues
Thread Author: .... Replies: 6

Internet Explorer users - ....
From January if you have automatic updates switched on, you will be automatically upgraded to the latest version.
"Only those Windows users with automatic updates turned on will be enrolled in the programme."

My initial thought to the above is if they have auto updates on won't they be on the latest version anyway ? Maybe by auto updates they mean anything other the off, manual, no thanks I'll do it myself setting.

This affects XP, Vista and 7. It will initially be rolled out in Australia and Brazil.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16214912
There is a tool available to block this if you really don't want IE9 on Vista or 7:
www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=179
 Internet Explorer users - Duncan
Is there a good reason why I don't want IE9?
Some people don't want it.
Microsoft taking the time and effort to offer an official bypass indicates to me there must be some reason otherwise why would they bother ?
 Internet Explorer users - Hard Cheese

>>Is there a good reason why I don't want IE9?>>

I have a XP Professional workstation on which I have IE8, Opera and Firefox, I prefer and hence use IE8. IE9 does not work on XP.

My notebook/laptop is Windows 7 Professional, I have blocked IE9 simply so I have commonality of browsers.

Internet Explorer users - Bromptonaut
It's mainly aimed at those still on IE6. Possibly not that many private users but I think it's still what we're on at work. Probably other corporate networks are same. Could do with an update as some sites no longer render correctly in 6

Sense of deja vu though; pretty sure the XP machines at home were auto updated to 7 around 4/5 yrs ago. Since then I've used custom install on updates as while I'm sure it was a good move its one where I'd prefer some choice about timing - can easily wast 30mins tidying up and sorting settings after a browser migrate.
 Internet Explorer users - Iffy
I thought among the dozens of auto updates to my new netbook was one to Explorer 10.

Might be getting my numbers mixed up.

Latest Forum Posts