Non-motoring > Late visitor. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 62

Late visitor. - Pat
Whilst filling the bird feeders today we both heard a strange noise and looked around us.

Only a couple of yards away was Harry, feeding on left over cat food.

As he was all grey and small I assume he must be one of this years babies.

i100.photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/DSCF0001.jpg

He now has his own bowl of catfood and a bowl of water which will be refilled daily:)

Pat

EDit: Can the mods make the first [IMG] go blue please *sigh*

Done. You don't need to include the [IMG] - just the url of the link.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 18:05
 Late visitor. - CGNorwich
dodgy link?

Page not found

Late visitor. - devonite
I assume he`s one of the Tiggywinkle`s?
 Late visitor. - Slidingpillar
Link needs to be:
photobucket.com/albums/m34/Veeeight/DSCF0001.jpg
 Late visitor. - Pat
That says image not found.

I really don't get it...I can post photo's on any other forum I use but this one??

Pat
 Late visitor. - Zero
Zero to the rescue

Link is

Late visitor. - Robin O'Reliant
Apparantly they're best slow baked in their skin.
 Late visitor. - Pat
I find animals far nicer than people.

Pat
 Late visitor. - devonite
I find animals far nicer than people.

So do I!! - then agsin i`ve never eaten a person!
 Late visitor. - Zero
>> Apparantly they're best slow baked in their skin.

You have to smear them in thick mud, then bake them in an open fire. Then you crack them open like a coconut and scoop out the middle.

Wildlife is well screwed up by the warm weather, Today was a glorious day again down south (see my latest train vid) - many species are not migrating, and a lot are producing second batches of young.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 20:17
 Late visitor. - Dog
Trouble is, when winter comes (and it WILL come) a lot of young flora and fauna will be killed orf.
(and it WILL come)

Arriving next week apparently
 Late visitor. - Zero
>> (and it WILL come)
>>
>> Arriving next week apparently

Well thats going to kybosh your local topless barbers then,

Don't think they were planning outdoor sessions

Norwich at the cutting edge
 Late visitor. - Dog
I'm feel sure if y'all can get willy warmers someone will come up with nipple nurturers soon enough.
 Late visitor. - Pat
Thanks Z, but I still don't understand that Photobucket go to all of the trouble to produce a link specifically for forums, and it works on all other forums but doesn't need the image codes on here.

We've got a treasurer with that attitude at the moment who's already put me on a short fuse:)

Pat

Late visitor. - rtj70
EDIT: I was just in the process of sorting it and got called away... Zero beat me to it:

Cute animal :-)
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 15:51
 Late visitor. - Pat
Can you answer the techie question above rtj, as I know Zero won't know the answer!

Pat
 Late visitor. - Zero
your using the wrong link tool from Photobucket Pat.

Use "direct link" i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/DSCF0245.jpg
or
"Email and IM" s606.photobucket.com/albums/tt148/know_wun/?action=view¤t=DSCF0245.jpg

buttons

NOT HTML button or IMG button

Last edited by: Zero on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 15:58
 Late visitor. - Pat
I'm using the same one that I use for every other forum Z, that's what's so frustrating.

Pat
 Late visitor. - Zero
>> I'm using the same one that I use for every other forum Z, that's what's
>> so frustrating.
>>
>>
>> Pat

This forum wont allow HTML tags and specially the the "IMG" tag
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 16:01
 Late visitor. - rtj70
The swear filter might be partly to blame. Stopping a lot of HTML code from working (forum rules).

The Khoo Systems forum software seems not to need the HTML tags for images if you want to link through to a site. But on many sites if you enter the IMG tags you will see the image loaded inline on the webpage. But as I said above, the swear filter breaks this. Mods can manually edited a post once past the swear filter to make inline images work. Dave will no doubt have a Christmas tree or similar in a forum post sometime this month :-)

So if anyone wants to link to a URL somewhere else, just type the URL. But you cannot embed images on here because the mods don't allow it.
 Late visitor. - Pat
Thanks rtj :)

You are right, of course on other forums the actual pic comes up in the post.

I still think it's crap though:)

Pat

Late visitor. - Bromptonaut
Allowing use of the IMG tag opens a can of worms or pandora's box or whatever. If the image is the right size it appears neatly on the forum. like a newspaper illustration. But if it's the wrong size or aspect ratio then. unless the site software fixes it, it mucks up the layout of the whole thread. If you're on a filtered network then either the pictures fail to appear or they trigger a warning message about breaching the IT policy.

And that's before people 'push the boundaries'. Cyclechat had to remove the girls/guys in lycra shorts thread for exactly that reason.

For a site like this it's better to post them as direct links to the hosting site.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 17:05
 Late visitor. - Robin O'Reliant
>> Cyclechat had to remove the girls/guys in lycra
>> shorts thread for exactly that reason.
>>
Bikeradar's Girls in Lycra Shorts, Girls in Knitwear and Girls in Short Skirts doesn't seem to suffer from any problems.

So I'm told...
 Late visitor. - Bromptonaut
>> Bikeradar's Girls in Lycra Shorts, Girls in Knitwear and Girls in Short Skirts doesn't seem
>> to suffer from any problems.
>>
>> So I'm told...

I think the redtube link was the final straw.......
 Late visitor. - VxFan
>> Dave will no doubt have a Christmas tree or similar in a forum post sometime this month :-)

Yep ;)
 Late visitor. - John H
>>
I really don't get it...I can post photo's on any other forum I use but this one??
>>

VxFan has explained it to you before:
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=4973&m=109055&v=e

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=6233&m=138488

Last edited by: John H on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 16:03
 Late visitor. - Pat
Yes JohnH, he might well have done, and no doubt he will have to explain it to me again....and again.

Do you have a problem with that?

Pat
 Late visitor. - Pat
Hedgehogs are so much nicer than people.

AC/DC are on Planet Rock so excuse me while I go and get rid of my anger.

Pat
"Hedgehogs are so much nicer than people."

Less prickly for a start.
 Late visitor. - John H
No, if VxFan and I won't do it, now rtj and zero can keep doing it:
"answer the techie question above rtj, as I know Zero won't know the answer!"

even Pug has a go here
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=3978&m=92279&v=e

Late visitor. - nyx2k
i think i can go 1 better than hedgehogs and lay claim to seeing 2 small dear on my front garden at 7am this morning.
Last edited by: nyx2k on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 17:21
 Late visitor. - VxFan
>> Yes JohnH, he might well have done, and no doubt he will have to explain
>> it to me again....and again.
>>
>> Do you have a problem with that?

I suppose he does.
 Late visitor. - Harleyman
As an aside comment; one of the reasons I enjoy this forum (apart from the company! ;0 ) is that there are no pics to clog up the system when people quote others.

I find it intensely annoying waiting for the same set of pics to upload half a dozen times.
 Late visitor. - nyx2k
+1
i like the layout that just links to image host instead of adding pictures.
very neat and easy to read on pc aswell as phones aswell
 Late visitor. - Roger.
I am a moderator on another forum and from time to time we have had problems with "unsuitable, XXX " pictures being posted, together with links to various web pages of similar content.
I once had to plough my way through a couple of dozen of these, deleting only to find that a fresh batch appeared within half an hour.
I can quite understand the forum rules about no pictures appearing within postings!
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 3 Dec 11 at 22:37
 Late visitor. - Pat
For the record, so do I, but I never really connected the two things, hence my frustration:)

Thanks to VX for having the patience to explain and the tact NOT to point out he's done it more than once before:)

Never thought I'd have to write VX, patience and tact all in one sentence!

After dealing with B&Q yesterday who refused to change a floor lamp that stopped working after 3 weeks because we didn't have the receipt (understandable, I suppose) and actually paid cash, and then dealing with a particularly stubborn trustee of the Charity who doesn't understand what teamwork means, Harry was such a welcome sight!

Pat
 Late visitor. - Clk Sec
>>(understandable, I suppose)

Not really. You need to stand your ground, dig your heels in, and if necessary ask to speak to a manager.

It's usually hassle though, without a receipt.
 Late visitor. - Pat
I'm annoyed because we never normally use cash for something like that and we'd already reserved it online to collect, but apparently they have no record of that.

It's a mother and daughter type light with two in line switches for use on the floor.
One of them won't click in anymore.
I took the switch to bits but apart from the two springs all the rest is inside of a moulded casing.

I can get both lights on by plugging it in but can only turn one of without unplugging it.

Pat

Late visitor. - R.P.
Sadly Pat they're in the right - doesn't make it good customer services though. :-( Tell 'em were to stick their lamp.
 Late visitor. - Pat
My words were 'Now you know why we always used Focus' :)

Pat
 Late visitor. - Zero
>> My words were 'Now you know why we always used Focus' :)
>>
>> Pat

If I were they BQ manager I would have said "Now you know why they went bust"
 Late visitor. - Runfer D'Hills
I miss Focus. We used to have one about a mile away in our local town. Since it closed our nearest DIY shed is a B&Q and and it's a 12 mile round trip. Now everyone knows that when you start a job you always run out of 1/2" flinglewidgets half way through and always on a Sunday when the builders merchants are shut.

One of the peculiarities of our Focus though was the rabid unpleasantness of their main cashier. A bulldog of a woman who even by the professionally miserable norms of south Cheshire, with their chips on both shoulders, residual Cromwellianist ill humour, was the very epitome of anti-service. It became something of a sport among those of us needing to use the place on any kind of regular basis to attempt to get her to smile. The feeling of triumph on the odd occassion one succeeded in that mission could quite brighten an otherwise dull weekend.

Conversely, the staff in B&Q are obsequiously helpful by comparison which has taken us all a while to get used to. Doesn't feel right somehow.
 Late visitor. - R.P.
You're right Humph. I've come across this in the States - this unrelenting good humour really grinds after couple of days- it was a real pleasure to come across a drunken waitress in an otherwise bland and sterile classy restaurant in Ipswich MA and a Days Inn in Florida were the receptionist's nails were too long to work the computer keyboard and asking for breakfast drew a snarl worthy of some of regulars here....Wonder if her family were from South Cheshire ?
 Late visitor. - Zero
>> You're right Humph. I've come across this in the States - this unrelenting good humour
>> really grinds after couple of days- it was a real pleasure to come across a
>> drunken waitress in an otherwise bland and sterile classy restaurant in Ipswich MA and a
>> Days Inn in Florida were the receptionist's nails were too long to work the computer
>> keyboard and asking for breakfast drew a snarl worthy of some of regulars here....Wonder if
>> her family were from South Cheshire ?

yeah at times you feel it should go

"Thank you sir have a nice day""

Growl "I am off to my mothers funeral whats nice about that"

As a race tho, the yanks are redeemed by their coppers, who manage to sneer and belittle you with such elegant and hostile ease.
Quite possibly, the receptionist at our dentists and indeed the doctor's surgery clearly went to the same charm schiool as the erstwhile Focus harridan.
 Late visitor. - Zero
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 4 Dec 11 at 09:39
Our B and Q staff are helpful all right but the all seem to be over 70. Was looking for someone to help me with a sack of cement but the first guy didn't look like he could handle a bag of sugar and the second explained that he had just had a hernia operation.

I guess with everyone working until they drop that's the future!
 Late visitor. - Zero
Clearly I need to get a job at B&Q to provide that little touch you all seem to be missing.
 Late visitor. - R.P.
I was just thinking that. You could do it in the style of Vince (from Mongrels) with very little effort.
 Late visitor. - Pat
I think you might need a term at charm school first!

Pat
 Late visitor. - VxFan
>> I miss Focus.

He was only here yesterday ;o)

www.car4play.com/forum/user/settings/profile.htm?id=9
My son plays the clarinet and the saxophone.

Oh, and the drums

:-(
 Late visitor. - Falkirk Bairn
No receipt - no problem

Buy a 2nd identical light today & keep the receipt.
Take back 1st light with receipt from 2nd light and ask for a refund as it is faulty.

Job done.

Late visitor. - swiss tony
>> No receipt - no problem
>>
Still got the packaging? Information leaflet?

Proof of purchase!
Also, if you can tell them the date, and possible time of purchase, they should have a record on their computer.
 Late visitor. - Dog
>>Buy a 2nd identical light today & keep the receipt.
Take back 1st light with receipt from 2nd light and ask for a refund as it is faulty<<

Brilliant!
 Late visitor. - Clk Sec
>>Brilliant!

Pity the light wasn't!
 Late visitor. - Clk Sec
My own experience of buying lights isn't that good either, as more often than not I'll find a component part missing or a sensor that won't work as it should. So I usually buy two, returning one as 'surplus to requirements or faulty' the next time I'm in the area.
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Mon 5 Dec 11 at 09:22
 Late visitor. - VxFan
>> No receipt - no problem

John Bentley did an article on last weeks Gadget show about consumer rights and still being able to take something back without a receipt just as long as you have proof of purchase, ie, bank statement, credit/debit card stub, etc.
 Late visitor. - Pat
They did say that VX, but it appears we paid with actual cash!

Pat
 Late visitor. - Pat
That is a brilliant idea FB, I can see a trip to Huntingdon coming on!

Pat
 Late visitor. - DeeW
To halt thread drift for a moment - had to let a bee out of the kitchen this afternoon!
Latest Forum Posts