Technical Car/Motor Issues > Hyundai i10 Clutch problems Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 9

Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Ambo
On another site, a review notes "Clutch failure unusually common". I had not read this when I bought mine early November. (It is a 1.2 Active.) Have posetrs in fact had clutch problems with the post-facelift model?
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - -
I haven't read the other sites review about this, so come unbiased.

Let me ask you a question about taking up drive in the car, the company i worked for didn't have the Hyundai delivery contract in recent years so i haven't had the pleasure of these.

Is it prone to stalling if you take up power gently, is it fairly high geared in first?

I ask these questions because some other much larger vehicles with short clutch life are IMO too high geared in first (and reverse), and in the most common engine option lacking in low speed engine torque...the combination of which means every junction and every start requires more revs and more clutch slipping than it should which the driver may not realise as it becomes normal, indeed rolling junctions can be hard work as unless you slot it back into first while still moving, which is then too low, its too easy to apply more revs and slip the clutch to pull away when safe.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Harleyman
Done 17,000 miles in ours, clutch han't failed. They was however a perceived problem with new cars where the clutch uptake was unusually sharp which resulted in a tendency to stall.

Use and experience dealt with most of them but ISTR that some got a new clutch out of it.

Don't let it put you off, nice little car and very good value. If it was any other make but Hyundai it'd have been voted Car of the Year.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Armel Coussine
>> nice little car and very good value.

There's a small Hyundai here, bought new for the price and warranty advantages. It is impressively quiet, from outside anyway. I haven't been in it though.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - kb
I had a pre facelifted one that did SUDDENLY develop clutch judder after a couple of months (but only having left the car unused for a week hence being as cold as it could have been). Eventually a new clutch was fitted and that fixed it (at least for the short time that I kept the car prior to selling it).

I spoke to a Hyundai area manager recently. He agreed it took them a very long time to solve it. It was, according to him, the torque settings on the springs on the plate that they couldn't get right. I do believe it's OK now on the facelifted models.

However he was aware of clutch cables stretching prematurely and needing adjustment. The Hyundai forum is awash with information about clutch judder, clutch cables, headlight adjustment motors, revs increasing during changes from 1st to 2nd (and to a lesser extent, 2nd to 3rd).....plus other bits and bobs.

I do now have an automatic facelifted one. I bought the auto because I didn't want to chance the.....judder, stretched cable, increased rpm between changes, the clonk between 1st and 2nd that mine did if you wasn't very careful and also I DID find mine uncommonly easy to stall, compared to every other car I've had.

Regrettably my auto is exhibiting a strange "characteristic" which would have prevented me buying it if I knew it was present. But that's another story.

And I do not think it's particularly quiet inside the car. It might be quiet outside the car, but I don't sit outside when driving it. But it's not an expensive car so I suppose you pays yer money....
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Harleyman

>> And I do not think it's particularly quiet inside the car. It might be quiet
>> outside the car, but I don't sit outside when driving it. But it's not an
>> expensive car so I suppose you pays yer money....
>>

Mine's been quieter since we replaced the front tyres. As you say it's a cheap car, nevertheless I found it quieter than the Panda which I also tried.

I would concede that they are easy to stall, though; since it's now the only car I drive I've got used to it but it would probably be disconcerting to someone who only drives it occasionally.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Dave_
>> I would concede that they are easy to stall, though; since it's now the only car I drive I've got used to it
>> but it would probably be disconcerting to someone who only drives it occasionally.

It took me a couple of months to get used to the clutch on my second-hand diesel Mondeo - I reckon I stalled more times in those two months than in the last five years. Like HM, I'm used to it now.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Ambo
Stalling must be a Hyundai thing. My i30 stalled more easily than any of the 50 or so cars I had driven or owned till then. A driving instructor told me it was a feature of 16-valve engines but it had not applied to other 16-valvers I had owned and doesn't seem to to my i10.

Standing outside the car, however, I find the engine noise startlingly loud on firing up.
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - slowdown avenue
it seems a lot of euro 6 small engine cars, stall easy. i don't see many driving instructors using i 10 s. that must tell you something
 Hyundai i10 Clutch problems - Duncan
Excellent thread bump Slowdown!

See you at the prize giving?
Latest Forum Posts