Motoring Discussion > Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 11

Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - Dog
Where's the catch??

www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/mike-rutherford/8889224/Mr-Money-exclusive-free-parts-and-labour-for-life.html
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - Focusless
"From today, every customer purchasing new brake pads or shoes from one of our 247 autocentres will receive a lifetime Brakes4life commitment that makes sure they never have to pay to replace those parts again."

How much is that first purchase?
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - Focusless
The comments point out that discs aren't free.
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - RattleandSmoke
And no doubt when you take it for your free pads they will find leaking shocks, cracked springs, holes in the exhaust and a nail in a tyre.
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - Dutchie
Why not if it is a valid offer go for it.Time will tell.
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - PeterS
>> And no doubt when you take it for your free pads they will find leaking
>> shocks, cracked springs, holes in the exhaust and a nail in a tyre.
>>

Which you don't have to agree to or have done! In reality I imagine the reason that they can offer it is that it's not transferable to subsequent owners.

How many people keep their cars long enough to need multiple sets of pads/shoes? Our A4 has done almost 50k miles and is still on the originals - and that's a relatively heavy FWD car. Even if they all need replacing at the next service (which is unlikley) they're wont need doing again in our ownership of it, and quite possibly ever if the annual mileage drops significantly...

Peter

Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - RattleandSmoke
The offer is for the driver, not the car so you can change a car every 6 months and still have the offer.
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - -
It wouldn't sway many of us, brake friction materials are cheap for high quality from a good factor, and are still one of the easiest jobs you can DIY, unless you have an SBC equipped MB in which case do it wrong and you lose fingers if the system fires up.

There is bound to be some small print about other brake maintenance to keep the offer going and rightly so, no point in slinging new pads in to wear out prematurely on scabby discs, or with partially seized calipers or leaking rear slaves.

The good thing about this is that cars owned by people who don't DIY and don't get them serviced *properly* will get a thorough brake system check.

I'll bet there's a lot of cars many years old with rear drum brakes where the drums have never been removed from the car, full 'inspections' being undertaken via that silly little rubber bunged hole if there even is one.

Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - VxFan
Doesn't a similar fast fit outfit have this offer as well? IIRC, they've had it for quite some time.

EDIT - yes, Kwikfit www.kwik-fit.com/free-brake-check.asp
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Nov 11 at 12:43
I'm wondering if it could be a 'loss leader', a sprat to catch a mackerel as it were,

No bad thing though IMO and a great way to build customer confidence in Halfords (or not ,as the case may be)
 Free brake pads or shoes - For Life! - Clk Sec
I had a similar offer way back in the 8o's when I called into my local tyre and exhaust centre. I needed a new exhaust system for my modest two year old limousine and they informed me that their standard (and very competitively priced) system now included totally free replacements as and when necessary for the rest of the time that I owned that particular car.

The scheme was underwritten by the manufacturer and worked very well for me over the next decade or so when several replacement parts were indeed fitted without charge, and on the last occasion that I called in I was informed, with many apologies, that the scheme had been discontinued, but that they would replace the defective part on that day and return the the original sum they had charged me over ten years earlier.

See. There are some good folk around.
When I was in the mobile tuning game, I used to guarantee my work for 6 months / 6000m so y'all could cover say 6000m in say 2 weeks, come back and say it's running lumpy (like my wifes custard) and I'd fix it FOC,
Such was the standard of my work :)
Latest Forum Posts