Non-motoring > I guess we all make mistakes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 20

I guess we all make mistakes - CGNorwich
"The All Nippon Airways Co. (ANA) issued a public apology on Wednesday over a near-accident involving one of its passenger planes on Sept. 6 because a pilot pressed the rudder trim control button instead of the one unlocking the cockpit door causing the plane to nearly flip over.'

"the 38-year-old co-pilot of the Boeing 737-700 taking 117 people from Naha in Okinawa to Tokyo was supposed to open the cockpit door so his co-pilot could enter after using the toilet. But the co-pilot apparently hit the wrong button and "the plane tipped more than 130 degrees to the left at one point and dived about 1,900 meters in 30 seconds,"

au.ibtimes.com/articles/222374/20110930/air-nippon-airways-japan-airline-pilot-error-plane-flips-over-japan-transport-safety-board-shin-naga.htm
 I guess we all make mistakes - RattleandSmoke
Sounds like a bit of a flaw that it could be so easy to make that mistake. Does anybody know where these controls are located on a 737 700?

I guess we all make mistakes - spamcan61
>> Sounds like a bit of a flaw that it could be so easy to make
>> that mistake. Does anybody know where these controls are located on a 737 700?
>>
It does seem odd that the mistake was even possible: that isn't going to look good on the pilot's CV, that's for sure.
 I guess we all make mistakes - Cockle
>> Sounds like a bit of a flaw that it could be so easy to make
>> that mistake. Does anybody know where these controls are located on a 737 700?
>>
>>
>>

Reminds me of one of my colleagues. A few years back he was working in a major company's main comms room, the guy who showed him in had told him that when he wanted to leave he needed to press the red button by the door to unlock it. He finished his work and went to leave, there were two red buttons by the door so he pressed the one nearest to the door; unfortunately that was the emergency power cut off button for the entire comms room.

Senior comms managers for major FTSE 100 companies can get very upset when you shut down all their comms and servers servicing all of their UK network...... Didn't seem to appreciate our guy's suggestion that perhaps they should label which button was which to prevent it happening again!
 I guess we all make mistakes - Zero

>> that was the emergency power cut off button for the entire comms room.

I have done exactly the same thing in a big FTSE 100 company . You can not believe how deafening the silence of a previously raucous computer room is.
 I guess we all make mistakes - henry k
>> Sounds like a bit of a flaw that it could be so easy to make that mistake.
>>Does anybody know where these controls are located on a 737 700?
>>
One reply on an aviation website

"Our pedestal is built up in such a way that the door knob and the rudder trim are directly next to each other."

I also saw a photo of such a layout .
 I guess we all make mistakes - Old Navy
I believe a similar problem caused the crash near Heathrow a few years ago when after takeoff the flaps were retracted instead of the wheels. I think it came down near Staines.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 11:31
>> I believe a similar problem caused the crash near Heathrow a few years ago when
>> after takeoff the flaps were retracted instead of the wheels. I think it came down
>> near Staines.

Trident Papa India,

Nah that wasnt a mistake of the wrong switch, the right switch was pulled but at the wrong time, with not enough airspeed.
Fair enough, tragic result all the same.
Indeed, - lucky too in where it came down.
I doubt they had any choice, but it surprises me how much green area there is to be seen when flying over London.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 1 Oct 11 at 11:50
No they had no choice about the landing spot, there are a lot of green places but not all big enough to take a crash site with some collateral damage.

Papa India fell flat out the sky, and the wreckage spread was not very big.

I was workingas an apprentice at BEA at the time and had done some training and familiarisation on the very aircraft. Its a pretty personal crash that one.
 I guess we all make mistakes - Runfer D'Hills
"Ladies and gentlemen, if you could just finish off your drinks and make sure your seatbelts are fastened please. My colleague in the right hand seat has just bet me £100 that it's not possible to loop the loop in a 737. You will of course appreciate that I have little choice but to show the snivelling little whippersnapper who's the Daddy. Particularly as he's at this very moment using the for'ard facility. Thank you for your understanding. The outside air temperature etc etc..."
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 30 Sep 11 at 20:30
Reminded me of this cartoon

img98.imageshack.us/img98/5318/wingsye5.jpg
 I guess we all make mistakes - Ted
>> Reminded me of this cartoon
>>
>> img98.imageshack.us/img98/5318/wingsye5.jpg
>>

Ere, CG....that doesn't look at all like me ! Got two books of Far Side, though....brilliant cartoons !

Ted
 I guess we all make mistakes - neiltoo
>> "the plane tipped more
>> than 130 degrees to the left at one point >>

tipping 130 degrees would make it three quarters of the way to inverted, resulting in all unrestrained passengers and cabin crew flying around the cabin.

Why do not journalists / sub-editors / editors apply a little thought before writing / copying reports?
Last edited by: neiltoo on Fri 30 Sep 11 at 20:42
Having read various reports it does seem that at one stage the plane was almost inverted.

www.chicagotribune.com/video/breaking/chi-video-copilot-nearly-flips-jet-plane-upsidedown-20110929,0,3063612.htmlstory

I guess we all make mistakes - henry k
The aircraft involved, a four-year old twinjet registered JA16AN, achieved an excessive speed of Mach 0.828 during the event and experienced forces of 2.68g.

There were 117 occupants on board the aircraft, five of them crew members, but only minor injuries were sustained.
 I guess we all make mistakes - Manatee
Lots on this here

www.pprune.org/rumours-news/463127-ana-japan-roll-incident.html

or go straight to the animation

www.yomiuri.co.jp/stream/m_news/vn110928_6.htm

Could well be 130 degrees of roll.
 I guess we all make mistakes - Slidingpillar
Pah, that's nothing.
Quite deliberate
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vHiYA6Dmws

You may have seen this before, a fairly famous event.
 I guess we all make mistakes - devonite
He does a very good James Stewart impersonation!!
Latest Forum Posts