Computer Related > Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 12

Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - Iffy
I have no screensaver on the Mac, the screen just goes blank after a few minutes.

The other day a screensaver appeared, it was a moving abstract design, so looked like a proper one.

Things took an even odder turn when the design turned to a series of different dictionary definitions.

These were of changing font sizes, and moved randomly around the screen.

So once again, it looked like a proper screensaver, albeit one with a specific design.

I did the only thing I know to do when a computer plays up - turned it off, and turned it back on again.

The screensavers have now gone, and I'm back to a blank screen.

Odd.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 13:27
 Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - R.P.
iffy,

I had to alter my settings a few weeks ago in order to get it to take a lengthy download (otherwise it would log out after five minutes) - during this phase it was randomizing my photos as a screensaver and then my iTunes covers.

Click on System Prefrences (the cog wheels icon on the left) click on Desktop and Screensaver icon under "Personal" and you should see that the Saver is on the "Word of the Day" option. If it isn't annoying leave it as it is or select another "theme". Turning it off and on won't change this option. Oh and make sure the timer slider for the screen saver is at the far right of the screen on "never" if you don't want it.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 09:58
...Click on System Prefrences....

Thanks.

Found the screensaver settings, and it is set to use 'random' after 17 minutes.

As you say, 'word of the day' is among the list of available screensavers, as is 'iTunes artwork'.

Strange I've not seen it before, because I'm sure I've left the Mac for longer than that many times in the past.

By the way, the word in my OP which the forum swearfilter doesn't like is f-o-n-t-s.

I'll take that out of the swear filter - after all we're all adults aren't we ?
...after all we're all adults aren't we ?...

Yes, but we don't always behave as such - the place would be very dull if we did.

Thanks again for the Mac info.

I thought for a minute it had picked up a virus.

Until I remembered Macs never get such things. :)

Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - Suppose
size of font as one word is an html code.

It is in the swear filter for a good reason.

May I advise you to seek dynamic VxFan's permission before going ahead with your plan? - "I'll take that out of the swear filter".
Last edited by: Suppose on Mon 12 Sep 11 at 13:06
 Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - VxFan
As suppose says.

It's in the filter to stop people abusing html commands and posting ridiculously sized text.
...It's in the filter to stop people abusing html commands and posting ridiculously sized text...

No danger of that from me, I can't even work out how to set a screensaver unaided.

Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - VxFan
Unfortunately the filter isn't clever enough to know when the word is being used legitimately or for html commands.
Thank you for the input Suppose ! Suitably chastised.
I'm now getting a moving screensaver message saying: "You cannot use random screensaver with your version of Mac OSX."

There are three solutions:

1. Upgrade to Lion.

2. Turn the poxy thing off altogether.

3. Ignore it.

I can't decide between solution two and three.

Odd screensaving behaviour from the Mac - CGNorwich
2) Go into system preferences/desktop and screen saver/screen saver and deselect the random screensaver option
On mine, deselecting random automatically selects whichever screensaver is manually selected.

You have to also shove the time bar across to 'never' - which is what RP said in the first place.

So today I have mastered the screensaver utility, tomorrow, who knows?

Programming in Pascal?

Latest Forum Posts