Motoring Discussion > Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 11

Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-14744084

"Old horseboxes are being sought by Surrey fire service so crews can practise rescuing animals from crashes....the service also needed about 30 cars, vans and minibuses for training purposes."

I knew the fore service wanted cars but it did not occur to me re other vehicles.

Scrap values must be inpacting on their training.

Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - Dave_
>> Scrap values must be impacting on their training

In 2000 IIRC, you had to *pay* £20 to scrap a car. I gave an MoT failure Sierra estate to my local fire service, as it helped them and me at the same time.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 1 Sep 11 at 12:14
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - -
Old friend of mine has been delivering cars he scrapped for people to the local fire service for training purposes for many years, collected them after use and weighed 'em in.

He also let them use his cottage for smoke filled practice just before he demolished it.

They're using a couple of Mercedes Unimogs round here, most unusual fire truck.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - jc2
They're using a couple of Mercedes Unimogs round here, most unusual fire truck.

Very common on the Continent where there's a lot more open country;most fire brigades in the Uk have access to Land Rover based vehicles for fires in the countryside.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - Bromptonaut
>> They're using a couple of Mercedes Unimogs round here, most unusual fire truck.

Not seen 'em down this end of the County GB but barn and field fires, too often set by youths, seem to be getting more common.

Or perhaps we've got soft since stubble burning was stopped.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - VxFan
>> Scrap values must be inpacting on their training.

Gotta be worth at least a pony I'd have thought.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - Zero
An empty hose box is about as much use for training as wet toilet paper.

The tricky part of the rescue is the horse, without that you are wasting your time.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - R.P.
Saw it happen once....not good.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - Cliff Pope

>>
>> The tricky part of the rescue is the horse, without that you are wasting your
>> time.
>>

Horribly difficult to extricate a terrified horse from a box on its side, and hard to think what they could practice on.

>> An empty hose box is about as much use for training as wet toilet paper.
>>

Nice slip of the keyboard there!
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - zookeeper
maybe they have actual size horse dummies that weigh half a ton, surely they cant practice on live ones?
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - jc2
Saw a double horsebox on it's side on the M40 once;one of the horses was trying to kick it's way out.Mind you,the towing vehicle was a Corsa-a little light for the load-whole rear of the car was off the ground.
 Fire service need old vehicles incl. horseboxes - zookeeper
>> Saw a double horsebox on it's side on the M40 once;one of the horses was
>> trying to kick it's way out.Mind you,the towing vehicle was a Corsa-a little light for
>> the load-whole rear of the car was off the ground.
>>

horses for corsa,s.......not
Latest Forum Posts