Non-motoring > Impressive cycling skills Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 26

Impressive cycling skills - Crankcase
I'm not really into trick cyclery, so when this little film started I was like, you know, ho hum, but then there was some serious blinking flippery happening, like.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShbC5yVqOdI

Impressive cycling skills - TheManWithNoName
Amazing stuff and nicely filmed too.
Pity those riotus scum didn't learn something like this rather than nick bikes and burn stuff.
 Impressive cycling skills - devonite
this is part of the "Concrete Circus" documentary that was aired on TV last week, there were 4 different skills featured, BMX cycling, Skateboarding, free-running, and BMX flat-space.
There were some amazing skills on show, and how the human body could survive some of the jumps and drops that the free-runners did is beyoned me! - a "new" kind of Athelete is born!
 Impressive cycling skills - Mr. Ecs
Pure skillage!

Watching this and many other similar riders makes me wonder how much stress those pedals are under. The weight of the rider pushing down on those high drops must be quite high. Do they snap off regularly?
 Impressive cycling skills - Runfer D'Hills
He could get quite good at that with a bit more practice. Not a bad effort though...

:-)
 Impressive cycling skills - Mapmaker
>> He could get quite good at that with a bit more practice. Not a bad
>> effort though...

I wonder how he gets his bike to places where he does tricks.
 Impressive cycling skills - MD
>> >> He could get quite good at that with a bit more practice. Not a
>> bad
>> >> effort though...
>>
>> I wonder how he gets his bike to places where he does tricks.
>>
In a Mondy estate.
Ideal !
That was SERIOUS blinking flippery.

I think jumping from one rail to the other, with a 180 in the middle was probably the most impressive.

Nice to see Channel 4 can make good films.
 Impressive cycling skills - Dave_
This bunch were at Truckfest:

www.bikeridersutd.com/team/vito-sport/

They did some equally impressive stunts, including leaping sideways from one railing to another several feet off the ground, mounting Sprinter vans and jumping off them again. They drew quite a crowd.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Thu 18 Aug 11 at 16:59
 Impressive cycling skills - MD
Amazing. I'll give it a go when I wake up. Hope he does well.
 Impressive cycling skills - Lygonos
As it seems that some of you chaps haven't heard about/seen Danny MacAskill before have a gander at these beauties.

youtu.be/Z19zFlPah-o "Inspired Bicycles" - various buildings and street furnishings in E'burgh

youtu.be/Cj6ho1-G6tw "Way Back Home" - going from Edinburgh to Dunvegan (Skye)

Stunning.
 Impressive cycling skills - Fullchat
"Evening Danny. How many more times do I have to tell you about riding on the errrrrrrrrr. Oh I give up!" :-)
 Impressive cycling skills - BobbyG
By all accounts he is very down to earth and true to his cycling roots.

I remember when that first video in Edinburgh came out, a big Corporate, maybe Red Bull?, wanted him to go to some huge display but he had agreed to take part in a cycle fun run in his local village so turned down the corporate!

Impressive cycling skills - rtj70
It was either on here or HJ that I first saw a link to a video. It was probably 'Way Back Home'

EDIT: It was definitely way back home.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Aug 11 at 00:05
There is no doubt he is an accomplished rider.

However, I cannot approve of the wilful disregard for the law and for privately owned property. Deliberately cycling in areas where it is prohibited and cycling on top of a BT phone box are a reflection of the complete breakdown in respect for the law and for other people's property which have caused the recent riots.

The video would have been just as impressive if it had stayed within the law/bounds of respectability.
 Impressive cycling skills - Iffy
...I cannot approve of the wilful disregard for the law and for privately owned property...

Agreed.

There have been problems in Durham City with the trick cyclists damaging street furniture.

Yes, they are skilful and good to watch, but if you or I caused the same damage, we would rightly be labelled vandals.

Impressive cycling skills - rtj70
I can see this is going the same way as before - although it might have been on HJ. iffy also complained about trick cyclists in Durham last time too. :-)
That reminds me, I was missed by about three inches by a trick cyclist falling off railings on the Marylebone Road the other week. Luckily I saw him coming and moved out of the way.

I really think that a good jail sentence would be suitable. There are plenty of purpose-built parks for them.
 Impressive cycling skills - BobbyG
>>There are plenty of purpose-built parks for them.

Unfortunately these parks are probably filled with neds drinking some sort of alcoholic concoction as opposed to youngsters who are wanting to keep fit and keep away from the booze!
 Impressive cycling skills - Lygonos
Unless some damage occurs to the street furniture is this actually illegal, other than riding on a pavement?
...is this actually illegal...

There's an ancient law against 'wanton and furious' riding or driving.

Originally referred to horses, but I've seen it used once against a motorist, so it could apply here.

Impressive cycling skills - Bromptonaut
IIRC 'wanton and furious' is the only way to deal with speeding cyclists - the posted limits are for motor vehicles.
Is it possible to speed on a Brompton?

I suppose you'd stand a chance in a 20mph limit in a residential area.

Impressive cycling skills - swiss tony
>> >>There are plenty of purpose-built parks for them.
>>
>> Unfortunately these parks are probably filled with neds drinking some sort of alcoholic concoction as opposed to youngsters who are wanting to keep fit and keep away from the booze!
>>
Perhaps, But the drunks would have to move on, if there were bikes whizzing around, leaving them nowhere to lie around.
Sure there are purpose built parks but it's not nearly as much fun as jumping over a telephone box. Oh sorry, I forgot, fun has been banned too now unless you're wearing a Hi-Viz jacket, an appropriate helmet and have been CRB checked.

Impressive cycling skills - Pat
Sitting on the bus shelter roof at the Ace Cafe to watch the bikes do donuts...that's fun.

*leaves quietly*

Pat
Latest Forum Posts