Motoring Discussion > Buying oil Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Iffy Replies: 49

Buying oil - Iffy
Time for an interim oil change on the CC3, which means buying 4-5 litres of oil.

It's a Ford, so it's fairly bog-standard 5w-30.

What should I be looking to pay?

Bought the last lot a year ago from Halfords for, I think, £25.

There's no point in chasing around to save a couple of quid, so if Halfords is deemed to be reasonble-ish for oil, I may as well go there again.

But some of their stuff is way over-priced, so an idea of what I should be looking to pay would be welcome.

Last edited by: Iffy on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 13:06
 Buying oil - Skip
I don't know how much they are charging now, but the Ford dealers used to sell their own branded oil at a very competetive price.
 Buying oil - Iffy
...I don't know how much they are charging now, but the Ford dealers used to sell their own branded oil at a very competetive price...

Hadn't thought about that, and the Ford dealer is handier for me than Halfords, so I will swing by there.

Thanks.
 Buying oil - Kithmo
Any 5W-30 Semi-synthetic A3/B3 or better, should do.
 Buying oil - -
I negotiated 50 litres of top spec Millers Diesel specific full synthetic oil from a local factors' ended up just over half normal price.

Not saying you need that much but it can be a lot cheaper buying several packs, i'm sure some Vauxhall** dealers offer 4 x 5 litre packs at very good prices, so long as it's right spec why not...you could always split the pruchase with some other enlightened fellow who realises a car needs maintaining once in a while.

**iirc it was DD put me on to VX dealer oil offers.
 Buying oil - Skoda
Depends if you'd be happy buying in bulk, but that's worked out well for me. vw507.00 oil for £4.12 / litre delivered in a 25l drum. Got a dispensing cap for it too so no fuss and easy to use.

In Halfords, their own brand stuff of the same spec is ~£8.50 / litre in 5l containers.
 Buying oil - Iffy
...In Halfords, their own brand stuff of the same spec is ~£8.50 / litre in 5l containers....

Good thing I was sitting down when I read that.

Although I believe the VW-spec oil is much dearer.

Yet another reason to run a Ford. :)

Buying oil - Alanovich
Apart from a Ford with a VW engine? My oil just cost £33 for 5l from Euro Car Parts (VW 505.01 spec). Rather annoyingly, your post prompted me to search eBay and there's some on there for 23 notes. Gah. Also, someone is doing 4 x 5l for 73 quid plus 6 delivery. That's a bargain and I might just buy some and hold it in store, seeing as I've 2 cars with the same spec requirement.
 Buying oil - Zero
The Lancer is running on Halfords oil. I have no issues with it.
 Buying oil - Old Navy
Ford changed the spec to fully synthetic oil for cars built since 2007 from the semi synthectic oil for earlier cars. I am not absolutly sure of the date but it is worth checking the spec for your car.
 Buying oil - Iffy
...Ford changed the spec to fully synthetic oil for cars built since 2007 from the semi synthectic oil for earlier cars. I am not absolutly sure of the date but it is worth checking the spec for your car...

I remember looking into this last year, but despite my car being a 2009, I think the correct oil is semi-synth, although the handbook wasn't very clear on the point.

Another reason to buy from a Ford dealer, although the Halfords oil was helpfully labelled as 'suitable for all modern Ford turbo diesel and petrol engines'.

Buying oil - -
synthectic oil.

Is that for cars driven driven erratically quickly Navy...:-)

Sorry matey i love typo's which is just as well cos i make enough of 'em.

even sorrier now you've spotted it and corrected....i'll have to keep an eye on me own now for a while..;)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 13:29
 Buying oil - Iffy
...Sorry matey i love typo's which is just as well cos i make enough of 'em...

Come on, gb, I was expecting a far more in-depth response from you. :)

Buying oil - Old Navy
Thanks for calling my crap spelling "typos".:-)
 Buying oil - -
>> Come on, gb, I was expecting a far more in-depth response from you. :)
>>

One day Iffy i'll remember to stop digging when in hole, though doubt it'll be this lifetime.
 Buying oil - Kithmo
ON, they still used semi-synthetic in my 2008 mondeo TDCi on its 2009 & 2010 services.
Last edited by: Kithmo on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 13:29
 Buying oil - Bobbin Threadbare
I've just got some for top ups from Halfords. They've got Castrol 4L on for about £30 and their own is closer to £20 for 4L. It looks to be about fair, considering postage if you bought it online.
 Buying oil - Iffy
...They've got Castrol 4L on for about £30 and their own is closer to £20 for 4L...

Thanks Bobbin, that gives me a good indication.

It's not gone up since last year, although I did get a 'free' screwdriver set.

Which I may use one day, if I live long enough.

Buying oil - Old Navy
I was in Halfords this morning, their car specific synthetic own brand range of oils were £42 / 5 litre.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 13:35
 Buying oil - Zero
Yeah

I pay 25 quid for 5 litres for the lancer, and 43 quid for 5 litres for the Polo.

Halfords are doing a deal on mobile 1 fully synth at the moment tho - 5 litres is 42 quid.
 Buying oil - Number_Cruncher
It always well worth while seeing what oil you can get from the Vauxhall dealer.

Their Dexos 2 synthetic oil is a very well specified oil (including being low ash and therefore suitable for DPF), and is usually well priced - especially if you buy 20 litres.

Also, GSF have done some good deals on 20 litre containers of Fuchs oil.

Buying oil - Alanovich
NC, are there any brands you would avoid, or is it too much of a varied picture to say?

I've just put Carlube Triple R fully synth in the Galaxy, there's Q8 full synth in the Golf, and the 360's got Comma semi-synth.

I imagine a Vauxhall dealer would not be able to supply a VW 505.01 spec oil?
 Buying oil - VxFan
Tesco have Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 Ford oil on ½ price offer until the 12th July 2011.

www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258777612

2 litres for £8.50
 Buying oil - DP
I used to use the Ford 'Formula E' 5W/30 in the Mondeo. Local factors used to sell 5 litres for about £20. That was a couple of years ago, admittedly.

Internet wisdom suggests Ford oil is made by Texaco. The Mondeo used to run quite happily on it, in any case.
 Buying oil - Number_Cruncher
There are people selling the Dexos 2 on Ebay - for more than it costs from the Vauxhall garage!

Item 180507544457 also has the specs listed.

I'm no oil expert, I follow the simple rule of finding the required spec, and then finding an oil which meets or exceeds it.

One thing I would say though is that there's no reason to fear the lower viscosity oils like 5W30. The idea of needing a 40 weight oil to provide protection is not the full picture. Tests have shown the exact opposite effect, and the logic is that the thinner oil flows into the areas which need the lubrication better. i.e., as well as reducing oil pumping and friction losses, you also get better lubrication.
 Buying oil - Stuartli
>>One thing I would say though is that there's no reason to fear the lower viscosity oils like 5W30. The idea of needing a 40 weight oil to provide protection is not the full picture. Tests have shown the exact opposite effect, and the logic is that the thinner oil flows into the areas which need the lubrication better. i.e., as well as reducing oil pumping and friction losses, you also get better lubrication.>>

The Ford 1.25 and 1.4 Zetec engines require the 5W30 oil.

It's worth ringing round local motor factors to check out their prices for oil...:-)
 Buying oil - spamcan61
>>
>> Their Dexos 2 synthetic oil is a very well specified oil (including being low ash
>> and therefore suitable for DPF), and is usually well priced - especially if you buy
>> 20 litres.
>>
I buy my oil from the VX dealer in 20 litre drums, they usually quote me about 100 quid + VAT, I just mention that seems a bit expensive, I use quite a lot of it etc. and they drop it to 50 quid + VAT, which I suppose is trade club price.
 Buying oil - Notdoctorchris
Provincial Tyre & Equipment on William St. in Sunderland are always good for sensibly priced oils, and other parts if it comes to that. Opposite the Post Office sorting office. Julian there knows what he's talking about.
By the way, I have no personal interest in this business, just like the way they operate.
 Buying oil - Marc4Six
Online Opie Oils usually have decent prices and look out for their free delivery offers which are quite common.

tinyurl.com/6fq6a3v
 Buying oil - Skoda
>> Online Opie Oils usually have decent prices and look out for their free delivery offers
>> which are quite common.

Do you think so? I find them miles off the mark, there's discounts via Briskoda but even with they only come down from extortionate to expensive :-(
 Buying oil - Marc4Six
Perhaps it depends on which oils you buy, but I have found for me they are usually the cheapest. Although recently I did take advantage of Halfords 20% off which just pipped Opie for price.

They do have a large range of oils and are convenient to check for target prices.
 Buying oil - Iffy
I don't know about prices, but Opie Oils are a proper supplier with a huge range.

One of the owners used to post on the other place for a while, and he sounded as if he knew what he was talking about.

www.opieoils.co.uk/
 Buying oil - Marc4Six
Oilman, appropriately, if I remember correctly
 Buying oil - Old Navy
I noticed recently that ASDA have started selling own brand 5/30 fully synthetic C3 grade oil, I can't remember the price but would expect it to be reasonable.
 Buying oil - Zero
but tasteless.
 Buying oil - Old Navy
I'm not drinking it. An oil snob Z?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 28 Jun 11 at 20:28
 Buying oil - Zero
Just a snob!
 Buying oil - Dog
>>I don't know about prices, but Opie Oils are a proper supplier with a huge range<<

He's place is down ere in Cornwall, Redruth, although most call it Red rough!
 Buying oil - Iffy
...update...

Called in to the Ford dealer and was quoted £40 for 5l of Ford fully snyth, which is now the correct spec for my car.

A bit of grumbling on my part produced an offer of £29, which I accepted.

Did the change last night using the sucker - good tool - and I have just enough left over to oil the hinge on the garden gate.

I was struck by how runny the 5w/30 oil is, nothing like the gloopy 20/50 which went into everything in the 1970s.

My liquid gold didn't keep its colour for long, I started the car for long enough to put up the roof, then dipped the oil again - it had already turned black, although not as black as what had come out.

Buying oil - Bigtee
5w-30 fully synthetic at costco for i think 25ltr barrell £40.00 ish.
 Buying oil - DP
Re Opie, I find the prices reasonably competitive with one of the "car club" discounts, until you add carriage, which kills it! If you can catch the free carriage offers, they are pretty reasonable. A heck of a choice, too.
 Buying oil - Duncan
direct.asda.com/Smart-Price-Oil-4.5ltr/001010129,default,pd.html
 Buying oil - Old Navy
I wouldn't oil my hinges with that stuff. :-)
 Buying oil - Lygonos
Read the "five star" review on the ASDA oil
 Buying oil - Old Navy
>> Read the "five star" review on the ASDA oil
>>

:-) I wasn't too far off then.
 Buying oil - -
>> >> Read the "five star" review on the ASDA oil

Brilliant in depth write up, thanks for that.

An old chum used to take all my used engine oil for fence treating, plus virtually anything else i was chucking out, he had several allotments with huge sheds, well, small barns really, summer house etc, all but the summer house were stacked to the rafters with all sorts of junk.
The reason?..so his son would have tons of gear to sort through and get rid of in due course.

This chum also stopped a developer from buying the allotments for housing, he owned the most important site at the only roadway possible, despite being offered ridiculous sums he wouldn't budge, top bloke, he wound that dveloper geezer up summat rotten....the geezer was under the impression everyone was probably like him and had a price, wish i had a video of said geezers face.

Really must look him up, been a few years now....i like eccentrics, a lot.
 Buying oil - Fullchat
I used to buy my 5W 30 oil over the counter at a Vauxhall dealer which regularly gave Trade Club prices - cheap as chips.
 Buying oil - sufmomo
snip - please ask admin before promotion of your own wares
Last edited by: Webmaster on Sun 31 Jul 11 at 21:35
 Buying oil - Victorbox
>> Read the "five star" review on the ASDA oil

I love the "Specifications" tab which just lists the plastic container dimensions!!
 Buying oil - Dave_
>> the ASDA [20w50] oil

I ran my Allegro on something very similar 20 years ago... It used to burn a pint of oil a day so the stuff didn't stay in the engine long enough to do any harm :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Mon 1 Aug 11 at 14:44
Latest Forum Posts