Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions Miscellaneous
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 43

Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - IJWS14
Have had a Passat CC for the last 5 days (a demonstrator) First impressions –big, wide, different.

Ride is smooth but SWMBO has commented on much higher levels of tyre noise compared to the Octavia, I had not noticed. 17” 45 profile rubber so to be expected but I thought the Dunlops on the Octavia were noisy and she thinks this is worse. Does not cope with speed bumps quite as well as the Octavie - what that means is I have to slow down for them!

Plenty of space front and back but might be tight with three on the back seat, would have preferred the four seat option which has gone. Electirc seat back adjustment and lumbar support – just about got it set up correctly.

Drives easily and got used to EPB and Auto Hold very quickly, generally in traffic you don’t touch it, once the car is stopped it stays stopped until you try to move it – but you must stop it completely first. SWMBO drove it for a few miles, further than she drove the Accord which she drove for all of 20 feet, she does not see why it has 6 gears and does not like the key (push to start)- if we get one she won't drive it. 6th caught her out at a roundabout where she stalled it rolling in to the stop line and between her and the car they eventually got it re-started, I later realised she did not have to do anything as the car was trying for her.

Stop start is good, even re-starts the car if you stall it – easy at 30mph in 6th.

Driving – I tend not to throw it around but would be a good enough cruiser for me, would not expect lighting fast responses from a Passat based car. Have not pushed it hard enough to experience understeer but don’t normally. 80mph on the motorway is very calm and quiet.

2.0 TDI 140 6 speed manual – took time to track one down as all the demos were 170 hp DSG GTs. Economy according to the trip computer is good (64mpg on the run to work this morning)– about the same as the Octavia driven in the same manner, not bad for a car this big and heavy. Would expect it to improve as it is still very tight (only done 2K) and won’t take 5th at 30mph, the brochure figures are better than those for the Octavia.

Heating is more complicated than the last VW I drove with two auto settings (High and low fan) and three recirc settings (on, auto and off). The numbers on the temperature dials are a mistake as anything away from 22C disappears round the side of the knob. Must look again and see what happens if you set different temperatures each side and then switch off dual . . . .the Honda/Octavia do not have numbers on the dial to cope with this, just the display read out.

Boot is big but the boot opening. . . . . . . .I can just get our powered cool box through the opening and I have to lean right in to reach the back – must be about 4 feet deep. Under the floor a full size alloy spare! Boot release spring is a little strong as I rarely get it to close on the first attempt and find it rising again, remote boot release is very handy.

Stereo is RNS315 with Sat Nav and blue tooth, connectivity is very good and after pairing phone it would also play music tracks from the phone memory across the Bluetooth link. With an SDHC slot (Takes up to 16Gb) and the phones capacity who needs an Ipod dock. Sat Nav is a little limited and does not include full post code search nor can you select a point on the map or a house number on a street – just a junction so way behind TomTom.

Some grumbles
Manual mentions an aux heater but dealers know nothing of it – would be an option instead of a heated screen since you have to take leather to get a heated screen which makes a base model as I would want it the same price as a GT!
Dealer appears to have turned off some of the switchable options so I can’t see what the daytime running lights look like or change the door unlock preferences . . . .
I am expecting to forget to use the handbrake in the Octavia when I get back into it on Wednesday evening!

When the Octavia goes (less than 10 months) I would be seriously tempted by one of these.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - rtj70
I test drove the GT model and have the 170PS on order. Didn't realise on the base model that the heated screen would need you to have leather. The GT has leather as standard.

I found the ride in the GT very good and didn't think the tyres were too noisy at all. Maybe the GT has the better ride because it has the electronic dampers. But it does ride on larger 18" rims. I'd say the ride was better than my Mazda6 and that only has 16" wheels.

I see where you're coming from with the heater controls but surely (a) you set and forget and (b) the temperature is shown on the sat nav screen as well when you adjust it.

It is a big wide car though. Which is why I had a long test drive to see if it was right for me. I did think the 140PS lacks any go when cruising in sixth on the motorway at 70mph ish. To have any sort of decent acceleration you had to really change down. That's something I don't have to do with the Mazda6 diesel but it does have a lot more torque.... I ordered the 170PS engine anyway as it's only about £11pm extra.

As for aux heater, maybe the diesels have it as standard?
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 16:57
Don't really travel at much more than 70 on the motorway these days, must be getting old, so that is something I could live with.

Heated screen/leather is annoying, speccing up the base (where it is an extra) and the GT (standard) comes to within £100 on list, the choice may be whether we want leather (GT) or alcatera (Base) seats.

The heater is not standard and spoke to a dealer who knows nothing about it. Probably the colder areas of Europe only - the A2 used to have one but the Diesel engine in that would not keep the car interior warm in the cold. Some drivers fitted an aftermarket remote similar to the one which is shown in the CC handbook - press the button and the car is warm and the windows clear when you go out of the front door - better than an electric screen any day.

SWMBO does not set and forget heater controls, when she gets in it goes up to 25 despite the engine being cool, 20 minutes later it goes down to 17 because she is hot!

Ride is good, her comment was about the noise level from the tyres.

Just looked at Audi and can get an A5 sportback with fewer goodies (far fewer goodies) for a similar list price. Son has a 2.0 170 quattro at the moment - at least it has a big boot opening. Will need to look at lease prices but there is time yet and I have a discussion on salary increase in a couple of weeks!

Test drive started at 16:30 Friday and I give it back 09:00 Thursday - probably long enough?
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Hard Cheese

>> I did think the 140PS lacks any go when cruising in sixth on the motorway at 70mph ish. To have any sort of decent acceleration you had to really change down. >>

That is down to the overly high gearing rather than weight or lack of torque I reckon, the 140PS Golf GT is sprightly in the lower gears though is almost 40mph/1000rpm in top meaning lots of gear changing if slowing much below 60.

In contrast my 123d is 33.33mph/1000 and pulls strongly from under 1500 so delivers a refined 2400rpm at 80mph and pulls cleanly from 40 in top.

True that the 120d is also a little over geared at 39mph/1000, I guess they all do it chasing low CO2 figures.

You're probably right Cheddar - this is exactly what I was thinking when ordering. My Mazda6 definitely has more 'get up and go' when cruising on the motorway in sixth. But the revs are actually similar. I couldn't get a definitive answer so went for the 170PS anyway.

IJWS14, don't hang around too long deciding on the Passat CC. The revised one is rumoured to be out later this year with the new VW family look (as is the Tiguan) and if the lights are anything like the Passat saloon/estate I'd not want one. My dealer was at an event in Germany earlier this year but the front and rear were hidden.

FYI, my order was placed with a dealer on 6th May and it's currently due to be built starting 4th July. So I've faired okay especially as I cannot have it until October. But build dates of the Passat CC are known to change.

I also considered the A5 Sportback but as a company car it was going to cost more for a 140PS SE 2.0d with much lower spec. Indeed the spec of an A5 Sportback SE is not as good as a cheaper Audi A4 SE. Both smaller cars than the Passat CC too.

When you say: "Don't really travel at much more than 70 on the motorway these days, must be getting old, so that is something I could live with."... neither do I but my point is it's the acceleration when doing 70mph that is lacking IMO. Sometimes you just want to get passed something even if you go above 70mph temporarily.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 18:55
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Bagpuss
I had a Passat CC as rental car during a business trip to Detroit recently. It was the 2.0 TSI version, very fast and rode and handled far better than something based on the Passat has any right to do. Nice interior as well, especially considering it was a US rental poverty spec version.

I really liked it but I'm a sucker for stylish cars with frameless windows. I wish they did a 6 cylinder diesel version, it would be at the top of my wishlist for my next company car.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Londoner
>> I really liked it but I'm a sucker for stylish cars with frameless windows. I
>> wish they did a 6 cylinder diesel version, it would be at the top of
>> my wishlist for my next company car.
>>
Ahem! How about an Audi A5 3 litre quattro?:-) (Coupe or Sportback)
>> Ahem! How about an Audi A5 3 litre quattro?:-) (Coupe or Sportback)

It's a possibility but I don't find the styling of the A5 as appealing as the CC. Also the business leasing rates for the A5 are surprisingly high - the A5 3.0TDI quattro is similar to a BMW 530d. Probably take one out for a test drive though and see what it's like.
The rates for me were high on the A5 Sportback even with a 2.0d! I could get a BMW 520SE for less. And of course a Passat CC :-)

But alas they dropped a V6 diesel when they adopted the 'Golf' platform for the Passats. The engines are no longer longitudinal.
>> But alas they dropped a V6 diesel when they adopted the 'Golf' platform for the
>> Passats. The engines are no longer longitudinal.

Correct, no more V6 diesels for the Passat. The leasing rates for the CC V6 4Motion are surprisingly reasonable, though unfortunately I've heard of fuel consumption the wrong side of 20mpg.

I still have a few months before I need to order a new company hack so I'll wait and see what VW offer on the 4 cylinder diesel front in the 2012 CC.
Not sure I'd want the revised car based on leaked pictures though.
>> Not sure I'd want the revised car based on leaked pictures though.

Only pictures I've seen up to now are the photoshopped ones in the likes of Autobild, not seen any "leaked" pictures of real cars.

The CC styling has been so well accepted it would be madness on the part of VW to turn it into the Golf lookalike the standard Passat has become.
I agree it would be madness. But there is definately a revised CC coming either later this year or early next. My dealer was at an event as I say and they had obscured both front/rear and inside.

I imagine it will adopt some of the styling direction from the Golf and Passat. But with it selling so well anyway (they are restricting builds to keep numbers within their planned limits) why change it?
>> I also considered the A5 Sportback but as a company car it was going to
>> cost more for a 140PS SE 2.0d with much lower spec. Indeed the spec of
>> an A5 Sportback SE is not as good as a cheaper Audi A4 SE. Both
>> smaller cars than the Passat CC too.
>>
Erm..I've got that model of Sportback, and I don't find any problem with the acceleration (mind you it is the automatic - so it does all the chores of dropping down the gears for you).

It's "sneaky" fast - it's surprising how quickly you can take off. You go from being behind a mimser at 60 mph up to more than 80 mph in no time at all.

Watch that 170 PS engine! You may lose your licence if you don't keep a close eye on the speedo.

I love the looks of the Passat CC, but as I've said many times, I can't live with a boot (even one as large as the CC), so I went for the Audi A5 instead.

Sorry if I appear a bit defensive about my car, but I've really bonded with it. I'm sure that you'll do the same with your CC. Enjoy it anyway! :-)
The A5 including the Sportback are very nice. You get more for your money on the Passat. For me as a company car, then depreciation is a factor as the monthly cost of a car takes it into account. The Audi A5 SE 140PS 2.0d was more than the Passat CC. And had much lower spec. But was usefully a smaller car.

Back to the OP... nice write up and are you ordering one. You do get a lot more for your money on the GT spec though. £3000 of extras for about £1500. Seats are heated leather in the front (I've gone for climate ones).

You mention "alcatera" seats on the standard Passat CC. Do you mean Alcantara. That's optional extra. The standard seats are cloth. You can get Alcantara (fake suede) or leather on the base model. Alcantara is £1085 and Nappa Leather £1540. But with the latter the GT makes more sense.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 7 Jun 11 at 22:49
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - legacylad
Swmbo was seriously interested in the CC as her next repmobile. Her '07 plate Passat Tdi 140 went to the auctions last June with 120k miles on the clock, and twice let her down with injector failure on the motorway in the last 4 weeks of the lease period.
She declined (on my bad advice) a Vrs and got an Insignia Ecoflex. She much prefered her Passat and swears it had better performance, despite the Insignia having, in theory, 20bhp more at 160. She would have a CC tomorrow were it not for the usefulness of the Insignias hatch. And she refuses to drive any estate. We both think the VW build quality is superior to that of the Vx.
It is a Passat all the same, albeit a bit wider and longer. Same interior as any other Passat now. It was different but all brought in line.

I did consider a Passat Estate Sport but by the time a few options were added the CC was better value. Mine will have bi-xenons for example. And the car on the brochure that looked good had non-UK spec wheels.

And that's something else I like about the Passat on order. Not only does it come with a spare, it is a full alloy. And the tyres are self-sealing Continental 18" Conti-Seals.
>> And the tyres are self-sealing Continental
>> 18" Conti-Seals.
>>
Interesting tyres those - I prefer that concept to the idea of runflats. i.e try and avoid a puncture in the first place, rather than try to cope with it afterwards.
I prefer the idea as long as the flat is spotted. But by default the CC GT comes with a tyre pressure monitor using ABS sensors. I opted for the proper, actual tyre pressure monitoring as I've had nails/screws three times in 12 months. And not spotted straight away. And self-sealing tyres means you might miss this for a long time.

>> You mention "alcatera" seats on the standard Passat CC. Do you mean Alcantara. That's optional
>> extra. The standard seats are cloth. You can get Alcantara (fake suede) or leather on
>> the base model. Alcantara is £1085 and Nappa Leather £1540. But with the latter the
>> GT makes more sense.
>>

Yes - that is what I meant, to have a heated screen on the base you have to take leather or alcantera and with alcantera it is virtually the same price as the GT. Having used leather seats in the south of France in summer they can be unpleasantly hot when the car has been parked in the sun . . . so it may be a choice of which seat fabric we prefer.

She has seen one with the cream leather (Cream and black) and it does look very nice.
Have to wait as replacement not due yet, just starting to look and planning around 3-5 month lead times.

Front is bound to look line the new Passat - it is nte new corporate front, you don't see it from inside.

Can't really comment on the get up anmd go as this one is still VERY stiff. Does not want 5th at 30mph even without any throttle, 6th seems to require 40 plus. Gearing appears to be quite hign.

Mazda may have more accelleration but they have not got the CO2 levels down, when i got the Octavia the Maszda 6 emissions were way above everyone else, and hensce so is the tax.

Not serious about the A5 as it really would be sparse! Size not really an issue as there are only 2 of us now, just need a boot big enough for SWMBO's stuff when we go to France.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - midlifecrisis
I looked at a CC. Thought the interior was ok, but just can't get on with the styling of the back end. My A5 Sportback was an ex-demo with 2000 miles and £8000 worth of extras. £10'000 under it's list price when new. (After some hard negotiation)

It's a great family car, more than enough of go (2.0d 170ps) and a very comfortable long distance motor with 55+mpg. My Peugeot 407 coupe currently holds the record for the longest I've had a car, but I certainly see this one beating it.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Zero
Nah - there is something very pinched and squatty about the rear of the cc.

In fact it reminds me of a dog rubbing its ahrse along the ground when it has worms.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - WillDeBeest
Does not want 5th at 30mph even without any throttle.

That seems like a strange test for tightness. My Volvo diesel doesn't like doing that even after 120,000 miles - so I don't ask it to.

I like the styling of the CC, even at the back. But after the S60 I can't see us taking on another family car with a capacious but inaccessible boot, so for us the A5 has it beat.
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - legacylad
Not necessarily Zero...could be that it need its anal glands emptying.
Ok, I'll take you word for it. Thank you.

The Passat CC looks like a dog that needs it Anal Glands expressed.

>> Can't really comment on the get up anmd go as this one is still VERY
>> stiff. Does not want 5th at 30mph even without any throttle, 6th seems to require
>> 40 plus. Gearing appears to be quite hign.

I really wouldn't try to drive 5th at 30 in any car, same applies to 6th at 40. No regular car is geared or designed to be drivable at those ratios.

If the car was capable of 30mph in 5th and 40mph in 6th then it would have at least seven or even eight gears.

The emissions on even the 170PS CC I am getting are a lot lower than my current Mazda6. Part of this will be stop start, regenerative breaking, roller rolling resistance tyres and part will be gearing. So the 170PS I get might be similar to the 140PS at 70mph in 6th. Will have to wait and see.
>> I really wouldn't try to drive 5th at 30 in any car, same applies to
>> 6th at 40. No regular car is geared or designed to be drivable at those
>> ratios.

Depends on the car and what it tells you - Neither the Accord or the Octavia would do it new but after 10k they were quite happy doing it.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 12:59
>> >> I really wouldn't try to drive 5th at 30 in any car, same applies
>> to
>> >> 6th at 40. No regular car is geared or designed to be drivable at
>> those
>> >> ratios.
>>
>> Depends on the car and what it tells you - Neither the Accord or the
>> Octavia would do it new but after 10k they were quite happy doing it.

Well if they wouldnt do it new, you really shouldnt force them to do it when run in. If they complained then it was for a reason.

How many revs are you doing in 5th at 30mph? or 6th at 40?
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Statistical Outlier
Ouch, my Accord isn't even particularly happy in 4th at 30, let alone 5th, and that's at almost 120k miles. You must be torturing the bearings, you do know they are reliant on oil pressure!?
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - nice but dim
Err you've forgot mine. Just over 1500 rpm at 30mph, geared at 17.5mph/1000 revs!!!!
 Volkswagen Passat CC - Passat CC - Impressions - Skoda
>> Err you've forgot mine. Just over 1500 rpm at 30mph, geared at 17.5mph/1000 revs!!!!

Different class of car NBD, no cardigan or slippers required to drive a proper car.

Tractor engined sofas on the other hand... ;-)

I already have the old man gene :-/ I'd have an a5 in the blink of an eye, and a CC GT in the blink after that.

>> I see where you're coming from with the heater controls but surely (a) you set
>> and forget and (b) the temperature is shown on the sat nav screen as well
>> when you adjust it.

Looked again last night and the numbers are either projected onto the dial or generated electroincally in the dial, if you adjust the passenger side temperature and then switch off "dual" the temperature setting numbers on the passenger dial immediately switch back to match those on the dirvers side without the knob moving!

Now why didn't they just set it up so the number is always shown at the top?
But the number is also shown on the sat nav screen. As is the setting for the heated seats - does the base model have those? Could make the need for the auxiliary heater redundant.
Isn't the auxiliary heater more about safety than comfort - getting the glass warm and clear before you set off?
I'll have a heated windscreen to help with that too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 10:55
>> But the number is also shown on the sat nav screen. As is the setting
>> for the heated seats - does the base model have those? Could make the need
>> for the auxiliary heater redundant.
>>

As I read the options in the base model you can have heated rear seats but not heated front seats - well done VW.
And you're sure that's not because they're standard at the front?
Heated front seats are standard on the CC GT (which have leather seats).

The price list of the base CC says that heated rear seats are only available as an option with Alcantara or Nappa leather seats. It's all in footnote 6. This is because the front seats are then heated with the Alcantara or Nappa leather option. The Nappa leather is over £1500 extra and the Alcantara just over £1000. See page 11 - it says they come as heated.

The same footnote (6) also applies to the heated windscreen. So you'd need to at least go for the Alcantara seat trim on the base CC to then pay the £135 for the heated windscreen.

Some of the reasons I am going for the CC GT. For the extra money you get the larger wheels, adaptive chassis control, cruise control, front fog lights, front/rear parking sensors and of course the Nappa leather seats.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 8 Jun 11 at 21:24
I haven't looked at the spec of the GT for a while but wasn't it/isn't it still compulsory to have privacy glass with the GT model?
Yes you also get the darkened glass at the rear on the GT spec.
>> Yes you also get the darkened glass at the rear on the GT spec.
>>
B*mmer! Some people really like darkened glass, and others really hate it, of course.

I can understand manufacturers making something like air conditioning standard on a car, because if you don't like it then you don't have to use it. However, darkened glass isn't like that - you can't just switch it off.

I don't think that you should be forced to have it on a new car - it should always be an option because it is very controversial. But then I'm one of the people who strongly dislikes the look of darkened glass - it would be a deal breaker for me.
However, darkened glass isn't like that - you can't just switch it off.

Well, you can - but only if it's electrochromic glass, and I don't think the car makers have used it yet for windows. Boeing is, though - in the 787, to replace the slidy plastic shades that someone always pulls down when it's supposed to be up for landing.
Latest Forum Posts