Motoring Discussion > How many miles per gallon ? Green Issues
Thread Author: diddy1234 Replies: 13

How many miles per gallon ? - diddy1234
After reading that a Skoda Fabia has smashed the fuel economy record (128mpg if your interested), I started looking around the interweb thingy.

Skoda Greenline beats record :-

www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/267802/skoda_fabia_smashes_economy_record.html

However, that was no where as interesting compared to what Shell oil achieved from 1939 to 1979 :-

blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/05/01/big-oil-conspiracy-376-mpg-opel-uncovered/

and

www.59fiattestcar.webs.com/

I wonder what the oil companies are achieving now ?

Can I have a 349mpg car please ?
Oh wait I can't because the government will not make so much money from me.
Ho hum, moving along......
 How many miles per gallon ? - Lygonos
I think the world record for a petrol engined vehicle is several thousand MPG.

This is at 15mph or so with a glorified petrol engined bicycle however...

EDIT - my mistake - over 15,000mpg

-> www.hydrogencarsnow.com/ETH-zurich-pac-car-2-II.htm
Last edited by: Lygonos on Wed 18 May 11 at 13:55
 How many miles per gallon ? - Stuartli
>>Can I have a 349mpg car please ?
Oh wait I can't because the government will not make so much money from me.
Ho hum, moving along......>>

Or buy a Golf:

tinyurl.com/6znozcy
 How many miles per gallon ? - bathtub tom
Back in the '70s, economy runs were a popular motor club events - who remembers the Total economy run?

I once achieved 90 odd MPG out of a Maxi thanks to a brilliant navigator reading contour lines for maximum coasting. IIRC we still had to average over 30MPH for a fifty mile route.

I'd never heard of vapourising carburettors before. Presumably development reached a dead end.
 How many miles per gallon ? - Mike Hannon
It was the Mobil economy run even before that.
I really love getting 22mpg out of the Beast and sticking up two fingers to the future.
 How many miles per gallon ? - Iffy
...I really love getting 22mpg out of the Beast...

That much?

Put your foot down and really enjoy it.

How many miles per gallon ? - rtj70
Auto Express has a money saving type special feature in last week's magazine. It covers the top 20 best mpg cars. Of these 11 have exactly the same official mpg figure of 74.3. Is this coincidence or is there some scam going on with the testing?

List was:

Volvo V50 DRIVe
Volvo S40 DRIVe
Volvo C30 DRIVe
Toyota Auris Hybrid
Skoda Octavia Greenline
SEAT Leon Ecomotive
VW Golf Bluemotion
Peugeot 207 1.6HDi Oxygo+
MINI One D or Cooper D
Citroen C3 HDi 8V 90 Airdream+
Audi A3 1.6TDI
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 18 May 11 at 21:42
 How many miles per gallon ? - Dave_
>> 11 have exactly the same official mpg figure of 74.3

Have they also all got CO₂ figures of exactly 99g/km by any chance?

I believe the mpg figures these days are back-calculated from CO₂ emissions.
I was thinking myself that mpg was being calculated and not measured. But the same magazine did a feature on measuring mpg the official way which uses a rolling road.

Apart from the Auris they do all have CO2 emissions of 99g/km. The Auris is 89.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:09
Got an invoice (for £0) from Europcar today for the Panda we had in Tuscany. It mentions not only the 606km I drove but the CO2 emissions for that mileage too.
 How many miles per gallon ? - Hard Cheese

There is a price to pay for 99g/km, when I look at that list it reinforces my choice of 135g/km and 200 + BHP.

I'll only get 168bhp and it comes at 129g/km but a lot bigger car.

Edit: I'd prefer to pay more and could have actually got one of these 99g/km emitting cars and saved money. I'd prefer a big comfortable car. I am of course referring to my order for a boring Passat CC GT.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:49
 How many miles per gallon ? - Dave_
>> There is a price to pay for 99g/km, when I look at that list it reinforces my choice of 135g/km and 200 + BHP.

My dad's Merc puts out 198g/km for 170bhp and returns 46mpg - it's done 90k miles and he was wondering out loud the other day about selling it before it reaches 100k. No idea what to replace it with as it's just great, but a lot of newer cars (it's 8 years old) can exceed all of those performance/economy figures.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:45
The newly revised 3.5 petrol V6 E-Class Merc puts out 159g/km and has just over 300bhp and is an automatic. It does about 41mpg too.

These figures are from memory BTW. But I found them impressive for a petrol 3.5 litre V6 auto.

EDIT: just checked figures... mpg slightly better by about 0.5mpg. 0-62mph just over 6 seconds. I still think the car after my Passat will be a turbo... petrol. And emissions will be down and mpg up. I'm referring to the car that replaces the Mazda6 in October 2011 mind... so plenty of time for technology to improve by late 2014.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 18 May 11 at 22:54
Latest Forum Posts