Motoring Discussion > Anyone driven the new C-max? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: hjd Replies: 13

Anyone driven the new C-max? - hjd
I am considering the new C-max. Have been and played with them in a showroom, no test drive yet. Obviously I won't make my decision until after I have had test drive(s) but I wondered if anyone else has actually tried it out.
I currently have an 03 reg (old shape) Civic, which is a great car and has never given any trouble, but I really need something where I can get into it and sit higher up. The Civic has loads of interior space and good all-round visibility, both of which are priorities. My annual mileage varies between 6k and 10k, so I was thinking of the C-max 1.6 petrol in Zetec trim. I don't need loads of extras and hate privacy glass, so that, and the cost, ruled out the Titanium.
I have also looked at the Golf Plus but that felt a little more cramped in terms of driving position than the C-max. It also seems overpriced. I'll consider almost anything, apart from a Vauxhall.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - Netsur
Apart from a Vauxhall........

Well really you should have a look at the new Meriva which is very similar in size to the C-Max and has suicide doors which makes it very easy to access apparently.

Newer Vauxhalls are meant to be far superior to older ones, so go and have a look.
Sorry, no Vauxhalls is non-negotiable - due to a car bought many years ago with a major problem; the response of the dealer and Vauxhall was the reason for that decision. They will never have any more of our money!
Last edited by: hjd on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 19:03
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - -
>>the response of the dealer and Vauxhall was the reason for that
>> decision. They will never have any more of our money!

Good for you H, i feel the same over the many customers who've had camshafts come loose and break out of warranty but FSH cars with very low mileage.

Not a hope of my lolly either.

edit...mind you following the CVT gearbox issues in previous C Max i wouldn't have a Ford either.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 2 Jan 11 at 19:29
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - wazza
I have driven a 1.6 diesel C-Max just before christmas. I had the salesman and my three young children in the car. I have a bad back and am overweight. Found getting in and out very easy and the space behind the steering wheel good. The drive was good and comfortable and not harsh but found that i had to change the gears more often with this diesel. This is normal because at present i drive a petrol car so tend to change at higher revs. Kids found it comfortable in the rear. Boot space is good.

Thanks - that's all good to know.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - Redviper
>> Sorry, no Vauxhalls is non-negotiable - due to a car bought many years ago with
>> a major problem; the response of the dealer and Vauxhall was the reason for that
>> decision. They will never have any more of our money!
>>

I can agree with that, its excatly the reason that Renault will never, ever again have any of my business

on the other side, my Vectra has been brilliant - 35k miles only regular servicing and the dealer have been good to deal with.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - CGNorwich
Somewhat ironically ownership of the original C Max has put an end to Ford ownership for me, at least for a while. I hope the new model is better put together.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - Boxsterboy
Well, Autocar reckon the new C-Max is the best in class, whereas sister-magazine What Car? put it bottom in their group test (Peugeot 5008 came top followed by Touran and Scenic). A French car mag I was reading last week also rated the Pug better than the Grand C-Max (but then they would). You pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Reading between the lines, I think the Ford may well be the best drive, but is less practical than some. In the Grand, the boot is almost non-existant when the rear-most seats are up, the rear-most seats are very small and the middle seat in the centre row is a sort of half seat. The sliding doors are heavy unless with optional electric operation.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Mon 3 Jan 11 at 22:26
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - hobby
>> Well really you should have a look at the new Meriva which is very similar
>> in size to the C-Max

Thought the C Max was the next size up from the Meriva? Its based on the Focus whereas the Meriva is (or was) Corsa based, the Ford version of the Meriva would be the Fusion.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - Netsur
New Meriva is much bigger than old according to HJ.
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - hobby
Not that much, I've tried the wheelchair in both, there's very little difference... neither were big enough (or the Fusion, Note, etc., for that matter), hence I ended up with the Roomster... best of the small MPVs by a mile, but also the worst looking!

Perhaps I should introduce the "wheelchair" test for the Journos so they can really see how big (or small) many modern cars really are as they seem to live on a different planet to the rest of us! Patent Pending!!!
Last edited by: hobby on Tue 4 Jan 11 at 10:16
 Anyone driven the new C-max? - Focusless
If you haven't seen it already there's a road test on HJ:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/ford/c-max-2010/
I have read the reviews mentioned and I suppose the conclusion to draw is dependent on your own requirements.
My priorities are interior (esp driver) space, all-round visibility and enjoyable to drive.
Some of the gripes on the reviews concerned the 3rd seat in the back. That would only be occasionally used so I can discount those comments. I want the 5 seater not the 7 seater so some of the other comments are irrelevant. The car is a little wider (10cm) than my Civic, a little longer and quite a bit higher. The width is the measurement which is most important to me, for parking. It looks as if it should be good to drive - my husband has an S-max, which handles better than a lot of the competition. My family complain about the suspension on the Civic, but if they don't like it they don't have to get in it!
The Civic still has more rear leg room but the C-max is adequate, and better than a lot of others.
Once I have had a test drive I shall have a better idea. At least there is space for my left foot beside the clutch pedal; will have to see how the pedal layout suits me.
Latest Forum Posts