Computer Related > Changing internet service providers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 3

Changing internet service providers - L'escargot
Have you ever changed your internet service provider, and if so how easy/difficult was it? The biggest problem I see is the one of having to have a new email address, which would impact on all the companies with which you do business.
 Changing internet service providers - Iffy
...The biggest problem I see is the one of having to have a new email address, which would impact on all the companies with which you do business...

Les,

Hotmail, Gmail, YahooMail, to name but three would not change if you changed service provider.

I use Hotmail and can log on at home (Sky), my dongle stick (Vodafone), the caravan in leafy North Yorkshire (whatever isp the site uses), my work computer, etc etc.
 Changing internet service providers - smokie
I've done this once or twice but have been a Virgin user for may years now (in the nicest possible way!!)

You should look at buying your own domain name, which is what I have done. The services such as www.1and1.co.uk will sell you a .com for something like £9 a year for a .com (£5.99 for the first year at poresent) or a .co.uk for £2.99. There is a box on their front screen where you can whether a particular name is free.

This gives you a bit of web space which I do not use, but it also gives you mail forwarding - for example, if you were to get cargot.com then your "published" address would always be les@cargot.com but you then forward that mail to where you want - usually your ISO but sometimes (e.g.when you are away) you could forward it to somewhere else if you wanted, or stop it forwarding and collect via webmail.

You can usually have up to (a lot) of email addresses, so you could have different ones for different purposes - e.g. car4play@cargot.com - and redirect different addresses to different places if you want to. And of course give different members of the family their own portable email addresses.
 Changing internet service providers - Dog
I've changed my ISP many times over the last 9 years,
I find it ideal to avoid spam and at the mo I don't get even 1 item of said junk.
I just send everyone in my address book an email - simples.
I might add that Zen internet is one of the best providers IMO at about £18,
But plusnet charge me just £6 and it does me ... I don't run any business of course.
Latest Forum Posts