Non-motoring > Rodding eye cover (non surface) dislodged Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 2

Rodding eye cover (non surface) dislodged - henry k
I am not familiar with the correct building trade terms so I hope this makes sense.

In the brickbuilt manhole chamber at the front of my 1930s property is a glazed gulley and a rodding eye.
I have a glazed type rodding eye cover of apparently the correct size.
A couple of weeks or so ago I was investigating a mild pong. I lifted the cast iron manhole cover and found the eye cover displaced so replaced it.
It has now been displaced again.
Flow to the sewer is good as far as I can detect.

How should the cover be fitted ? To date I have just placed it in position.
Should it be greased, a non setting sealant used or what.
It has just a bulbous knob on it so hard sealing it in would make it almost impossible to remove it.

I assume it is some sort of back pressure causing the problem.
I suspect it has been caused by the excessive rain of late? I know that the bad builders of the estate have put surface water into the foul water.
(My own house has all rear roof water directed into the sewer).

It is not too dificult task replacing the cover ( with long handled hoe etc) but I would prefer to be doing other tasks
 Rodding eye cover (non surface) dislodged - Iffy
...lifted the cast iron manhole cover and found the eye cover displaced so replaced it.
It has now been displaced again...

I have had the same experience.

The inside of the drain cover at Ifithelps Towers has something similar.

I lift it periodically and hose around the inside - not too much pressure, don't want to knock the mortar out of all the joints, do we?

The plug cover sounds just like yours, Henry.

I put it back once and next time I looked, it had come out.

That was a few years ago, and since there's been no sign of any other problems I've left the plug where it seems to want to be.

Still curious why it doesn't stay put.

Rodding eye cover (non surface) dislodged - Zero
Could be a build of of pressure.
Latest Forum Posts