Computer Related > Tunnelling into your home network Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 9

Tunnelling into your home network - smokie
Does anyone know much about the above? I currently use Wireshark running on my Home Assistant Pi which means I can use it to securely tunnel onto my LAN with a local IP address, which is easier for me for the few things I need to do when I'm away.

Essentially Wireshark is fine and I am inclined to leave well alone - particularly as I don't want to break it while I'm away.

I've recently set up Cloudshared to allow access to my Home Assistant remotely. This seems pretty good and easy enough to use. I redirect a website, and don't need to open ports etc. It does need certificates to work but once they're done, they're done.

Then I found a link to Tailscale which sets up a mesh network (same as the NORDVPN mesh does I think - and which I've been meaning to tinker with I think). I don't know much about it yet.

I suppose maybe the main thing I like to use is Windows mapped network drives from my home NAS.

Also connecting to the Home Assistant on my Pi also provides me with the UK-look which enables BBC access abroad and streamed programs seem to come across here with ne degradation despite a local WiFi speed rarely in excess of 15Mbps, and incredible contention and lag at times.

I also leave my home PC on and use AnyDesk to remote onto it from time to time to run stuff which I can't don't want to pollute my laptop with (Facebook for example!)) but I don't think that comes into this one.

Anyway, any thoughts please?
Ignore the Cloudflare bit, the more I read the more problem-prone it appears so I'll just concentrate on testing the mesh stuff and see if that's better than Wireguard ( - which is itself fine so I may just leave well along).

Too much spare holiday time on my hands here!!!
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 12 Oct 24 at 21:05
 Tunnelling into your home network - Kevin
You're a simple one to one peer-to-peer VPN connection. Why the heck do you want to make it more complicated by adding something designed to implement pseudo mesh connections?
What are you trying to achieve? Can't you use port forwarding over ssh?
 Tunnelling into your home network - Zero
Why all the complexity? Everything I need to check / look at while away is through my zigbee hub. The VPN is only on specific device level, and only there so I can do stuff I shouldnt.
Yes yes yes, I realise I was overthinking it now. I'm not much good at being a couch potato and I'm running out of stuff to do on the Home Assistant so I was looking for something to do on a rainy afternoon here in Portugal.

I recently implemented Cloudflare because it seems to be the only way I can get voice integration with Google Assistant working properly at home. It also gives me secure access to my Home Assistant remotely, and as it seems a fairly robust product I thought maybe I could consolidate all my remote connection under one product. I think I probably could, but it would be a reasonably steep learning curve to get where I already am with WireGuard and NordVPN.

As I can use WireGuard on the Android I now have a VPN turned on by default on the phone which I think is no bad thing from a security pov when I'm out and about, as it costs me nothing and performance isn't compromised - and this also gives me access as a local device on my LAN.

We have most of our home admin stuff (also entertainment and techy stuff) on shares on my NAS and it's nice to have them mapped as a local drive using Wireguard on the laptop when I'm away - plus it means I'm using a secure tunnel on that too. Also use WireGuard on the Firestick of course... keeps her happy with Strictly... :-)

You don't mean ZigBee hub do you Z, or am I missing something else I could be doing with mine? :-)
 Tunnelling into your home network - sherlock47
smokie

have you used Raspberry Pi Connect yet? very easy to use for remote pi access. Not sure about the security as a remote access to your home network.

I am having problems with VLC on the Pi for accessing cameras - would be a lot more convenient than having to use Tapo proprietary software on android phones.

Teamviewer has worked well in the past, despite limitations on Pi, but I am fed up with being identified as a commercial user and having access blocked. The 'new' interface is a significant improvement.
I stopped using TeamViewer a couple of years back as it kept on that I was commercial. Hence using AnyDesk for remoting to desktop etc - but that's playing up now, logging me out after about a minute. Probably a setting I've messed up.

I think it's suggested that CloudFlare (or a mesh) is more secure because you don't open ports on your router.

I've not come across Pi Connect, will have a look but I'm trying to use as few products as poss to achieve what I need, and that would probably be one extra rather than less - thanks for the heads-up though, I'll take a look.

When I'm using WireGuard I can quite happily VLC to the other (non Home Assistant) Pi. Also use WinSCP and Putty with it. I'm not so sure I could do that with a mesh alone (though that one needs very little attention these days - most of the services it provided have now gone onto the Home Assistant is it's main job is gathering my daily energy usage.

And ah yes, there's a project when I get home - the Home Assistant is a Pi 4 and the other one is a Pi 5 - could do with swapping them but it's not quite as easy as just swapping the SSD's around!!
 Tunnelling into your home network - Kevin
>..I'm trying to use as few products as poss to achieve what I need,..

Do you have mobaxterm?
 Tunnelling into your home network - Zero

>> You don't mean ZigBee hub do you Z, or am I missing something else I
>> could be doing with mine? :-)

yes thats what I meant, isnt that what I typed?
You did type ZigBee hub. Mine is only for attaching ZigBee devices locally, so you must be talking about something of which I know nought.

I don't have mobaxterm but soon will :-) At a quick glance it doesn't do Android connection though
Last edited by: smokie on Sun 13 Oct 24 at 22:47
Latest Forum Posts