Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 15

Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - legacylad
Just covered 580kms today in a friends 1yo diesel Duster.
Almost all ‘motorway’ from the mountain village of Competa, down to the coast at Velez- Malaga, then head north around Granada at Motril.

They decided on diesel as it’s so much cheaper in Spain…€1.295 litre where we filled up today.

It’s a Duster…hard scratchy plastics, tried & tested diesel engine, plenty of room for 4 and their gear…lots of room for only 3 of us. My walking friends hubby flew back to the uk for a few days whilst we were at the walking festival, hence we took the Duster. Can’t fault it..comfortable at 120kph, rear seats a little firm, not especially quite cruising for 5 hours at that speed, but no aches & pains for either front or rear seat passenger (me).

Personally I prefer my 5yo Vitara, especially with opening pano roof, but if push came to shove I could live with a Duster.
One thing I did not like was the shiny upholstery…really yukky, but that and high speed mouse apart, they are my only negative points.
We didn’t have stereo on, but imagine it’s not the best sound system.
High speed mouse :-)
Road noise…
Rather thirsty after 6 hours on the road and needed a few cold ones upon arrival at my rental.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Paul Robinson
They are a very popular car where I live in the North Cotswolds - I saw 3 while I was out walking the dog this morning.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Boxsterboy
We had one of these as a hire car in Iceland last year - petrol engine and on proper winter tyres (i.e. with small metal studs, not just soft rubber and a fancy tread!).

It accommodated 4 of us comfortably enough. Yes, there are hard shiny plastics, and it is not what you would call luxurious. But perfectly acceptable basic transport for those who want to buy new but are on a budget.

For those who haven't been, I highly recommend Iceland (but perhaps wait until the eruptions have died down?). Fascinating place, but not cheap.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Terry
Had a good look at a Duster as changing car.

Great value - but every time I got in it I would be reminded why - large expanses of hard plastics, built down to a price. From a "performance" perspective - great - but evidently with a focus on cost reduction.

The new ones seem significantly improved!.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Bobby
I like budget cars but can’t tolerate black reversing sensors on body coloured bumpers!
Exhibit A
www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311083772723
That’s the colour my friends have. White lettering on the rear. And it’s a diesel.

I’ll find out the mpg after our 1200km return trip to Competa from up the coast…just filled up
On CBlanca @ €1.195 litre. I have no idea what uk diesel fuel prices are.
Approx £1.35 at mine
Sub £1.00 litre at current Revolut exchange rates.
Hardly surprising my friends bought a Dacia diesel.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Terry
>> Exhibit A
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311083772723
>>
Run out model currently being replaced by refreshed version. Only 1.0L and a manual. Nonetheless - excellent value but would not be on my short list.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Bromptonaut
>> Run out model currently being replaced by refreshed version. Only 1.0L and a manual. Nonetheless
>> - excellent value but would not be on my short list.

Realistically, if we planned/organised our daily living a bit and thought stuff like servicing through far enough ahead for a courtesy car, we don't need two cars any more.

There are quite a few Dusters with diesel engines and switchable 4 wheel drive out there capable of meeting our tow car needs - unless GTW is an issue.

Put my Skoda on Motorway and PX the 'lingo (or vv) and it wouldn't need a massive wodge of cash to make a change.

Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - bathtub tom
>> I like budget cars but can’t tolerate black reversing sensors on body coloured bumpers!

I can't stand shiny tyre paint. It looks like some back-street car dealer has tried to pimp up an old banger.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Zero
I'd have a dacia jogger extreme hybrid, except even tho you can get a factory fit tow bar, it has a pathetic 140nm of torque, and can only haul 750kg. Really? why offer the tow bar.
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - tyrednemotional
Not everyone uses a towbar to pull a shed....
 Dacia-Renault - Duster impressions - Bromptonaut
I've looked at the Jogger and ruled it out as we need a tow car capable of handling at least 1300kg (our current Xplore 304) or a successor up to (say) 1500kg.

A Duster would, I think, fit the bill for current 'van but it'd be a second hand one with a diesel engine.
Latest Forum Posts