Computer Related > Non EU roaming Computing Issues
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Non EU roaming - legacylad
Currently in Andorra for 10 days.
I have free EU roaming , which obviously doesn’t include Andorra. Lots of data remaining (46 GB) in the current period, which I cannot access being outside the EU.

900MB of add on will cost me £70 with EE, but I need to make and receive calls, use phone mapping apps showing paths ...Google maps, Mapy.cz etc
Is this my best option please ?

I have good quality walking maps from the local TIC....lots of detail on them.

Thanks
 Non EU roaming - tyrednemotional
If your phone will take an eSim you can do a lot better than that.

If it doesn't, but is dual (physical) sim I suspect you could get a SIM to support data.

If it's single SIM, then you would have to do a sim-swap and temporarily lose your current number.

I suspect Andorra Telecom would advise on the three options.

They certainly do an eSim which is *much* better value than you quote, and there is an implication that they will do physical pre-pay Sims.

Lots of outlets, search for a convenient one.

(Though the eSim can be bought online - my next phone will be eSim capable, SWMBOs already is)
Thank you.
I need to revisit the TIC tomorrow AM so I’ll enquire there as to the local mobile phone shop…would I still be able to use google maps and other apps on my phone ?
If a new number I’d let folks know via a WhatsApp message.
An appropriate SIM with data would allow that.

If you do a SIM swap, however, WhatsApp won't work (it's tied to the phone number), so you'd need to tell people before the swap.

It's also possible that international calls wouldn't be included in any pre-pay.

If you have a dual SIM phone, then inserting the new SIM in the second SIM slot overcomes both such problems if you set that to be used for data, and the existing one for calls.

(But if you have dual SIM with an sdcard currently in the second SIM slot, it can get a bit messy)
Appreciate your time taken in replying.

Must have WhatsApp as our 25 strong walking group have set up a specific WhatsApp group for this trip. Two different walks each day plus other stuff for those ‘resting’…we hope to meet up local bars and hotel bar so need to communicate via that method.
Group members may well want to contact me to ascertain walk details from me before deciding which walk to join.

I need international calls…mother in care home so must be available 24/7, just in case. !

Thank you
I had some recollection of you posting recently that you had an iPhone.

Sitting here on a wet and cold evening, and having WiFi, even on an isolated Stellplatz, I decided to search - and you did on a recent broadband thread.

It is probable that your iPhone is e-sim compliant, (iphone11 and newer , I think) and if it is, things should be simple.

An e-sim is a second SIM which is "software downloadable", not requiring a physical sim card.

Assuming the capabilities are similar to those of Android, you can have both your existing SIM and an e-sim active at the same time. Set the e-sim as preferred for data in settings, and your e-sim or existing SIM for outgoing calls depending on which bundle is best (or you can set for it to ask each time you call). Both Sims will be active for incoming calls. The eSim will provision all data requests.

Andorra Telecom do a couple of e-Sim monthly prepays - 10Gb for €20, 3Gb for €10

www.andorratelecom.ad/en/mobile-telephony/prepaid/

If you're confused by the process, it's worth persevering, as there are a number of esim providers for all parts of the world that can make data when travelling so much easier and cheaper.

The process is two part

1 getting the eSim installed
2 configuring for dual SIM use

Both are DIY.

The latter is the same as for a physical second SIM, and I suspect some of your walking party could help you with either or both.
As an addition, it seems like Andorra Telecom might need some ID hoops jumping through.

SWMBO (set up by me) used Airalo earlier this year in Canada. They do an easily purchased eSim for Andorra, data only, 5Gb for £12 (and easy top up).
Might be an easier choice.

www.airalo.com/andorra-esim/handi-30days-5gb

They do an
>> easily purchased eSim for Andorra, data only, 5Gb for £12 (and easy top up).
>> Might be an easier choice.

Data only ? I need to make regular phone calls back to the uk. Daily in fact.
 Non EU roaming - Bobby
Can you WhatsApp call the folk in UK?
Or is it a nursing home switchboard type thing?
>> Can you WhatsApp call the folk in UK?
>> Or is it a nursing home switchboard type thing?
>>
Sadly, it’s a care home.
Keeping in touch with relatives via WhatsApp..when back at my hotel in the evening and on wifi.

Two hours tonight trying to sort an eSIM, 3 different providers. Ludditism isn’t all it’s cracked up to be…24 friends arrive tomorrow. Hopefully one of them can sort it….:-)
 Non EU roaming - Biggles
EE is £1.66/min or an Andorra SIM €0.42/min for calls to the UK. Does Skype still offer a paid call service to landlines using a data connection?
Edit -looks like you can get one month free to UK landlines on Skype.
Last edited by: Biggles on Fri 13 Sep 24 at 22:49
I don't think the EE roaming add-on includes calls to the UK, so you would be on the meter with that.

I don't think any (cost-effective) local sim or eSim is going to offer bundled international calls.

If that is so, then I still think a data eSim, and metered calls from your EE SIM (both should be active) is probably the best mix, even if sub-par.

WhatsApp calls via the data SIM would be 'free', but I suspect won't fit your requirements.
 Non EU roaming - Biggles
WhatsApp should work OK - it is only a new registration of a device which needs a phone number. Once it is running there is no need to even have a phone connection.
 Non EU roaming - smokie
I was going to say the same re WhatsApp. I use the same account on two phones, my PC and my Home Assistant. All on the same account.
 Non EU roaming - Kevin
..my next phone will be eSim capable, SWMBOs already is.

If it's worth the 25-30€ outlay you can buy a sim card that works with an app to give e-sim capability to android phones without native e-sim support.

esim.me/
I found that at the time I got an eSim for SWMBO's phone for Canada.

Rejected it for my phone as the reviews I found at the time were considerably less than favourable.
 Non EU roaming - Bobby
You sure that’s 900 mb for £70? That’s a helluva dear and if you are going to be using data a lot then it won’t last long.
 Non EU roaming - Biggles
The TravelDataPass is £8.45 a day for 150MB.
I visited the Andorra Telecom office, waited my turn, explained my situation, and the girl didn’t speak a word of English.
Nice lady on reception translated and I bought a data/ call package…

Now back in Spain I’m back to square one. No sign of my EE phone number in settings…I thought it would return to that automatically but suspect it’s been deleted !

Using friends wifi but need my data/ call Eu roaming package when out and about….which I am most of the time. Back to square one.
What happened to your EE sim?

If it was swapped out for whatever you bought, it needs to be swapped back in.

If the package you bought was e-sim based, then it is possible your original SIM was disabled at time of purchase, or possibly not nominated for both data and cals. If so, you should be able to (re-)enable.it in SIM settings.
Latest Forum Posts