Computer Related > Another scam call Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 3

Another scam call - smokie
Happened to be 0117 9594958. I thought I'd write it up here as it's quite cuning.

They will tell you they are Virgin or some other ISP and have noticed a problem with your line. To prove who they are they will get you to open a command window and type some stuff in which gives a response starting c**** 888DCA60 and a load of other numbers.

Without you telling it to them they will quote the number at you. They will say this is your computer's identity, how would they know if if they weren't genuine? I pointed out it's a Microsoft class ID and I believe it's to do with zipfiles, and is present and identical on all Windows computers for some years now so proves nothing.

They hung up.
 Another scam call - maltrap
I treat all e-mails, phone calls to landlines & mobiles as scams, they usually are.
 Another scam call - martin aston
Sounds like the one that used to come up a decade or so ago. Like you, I’d play along when it was a novelty. You can tie them up for ages with “mishearing” the numbers they want you to input and going round the loop several times.

I’ve no patience with scams any more and just hang up when they start.

Even so I was nearly caught with the “Hi Mum” scam a few weeks ago when they sent me an email apparently from my friends account where they just lucked upon the sort of stuff she would say. No harm done to me but her whole address book had been accessed.
 Another scam call - zippy
This website is the only "social media" that I use.

A friend reported a scam add on Facebook, to Facebook. The add was obviously a scam as it used a famous UK celebrity endorsing an investment scheme. The celebrity doesn't advertise investment schemes for bitcoin etc.

Apparently Facebook responded that they found the advert was fine.

No wonder people are being ripped off.
Latest Forum Posts