Motoring Discussion > MINI - Clubman. MIN gone.
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 10

MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - R.P.
Mrs RP's car, British Racing Green an exclusive model with panoramic roof and white leather interior has been part exchanged. The Mini will be 4 years old at the end of August. Not a moment's trouble with it, it was a daily drive running errands for the in-laws mainly. Cracking motor still looks the business. Even today when I popped to the shops it drew attention from a fellow shopper.

She's part exchanged it for (wait for it) a 8 month old BMW 128ti ! Reasonable deal from BMW including a "free" 3rd year warranty from. She test drove one (in grey !) and was smitten straight away and was worth, in her opinion, the 3k more than a standard 118 petrol. The 128 is a front wheel drive Beemer, I've yet to drive one but it feels quick enough ! The interior trim is a cut above the MINI's and feels very premium.

It may have to be delivered tomorrow as she's copped a dose of COVID, it's still out there.

Meanwhile the Audi still delivers, just not quite a 3 series on a few levels, it's dual carriageway/Motorway ride seems better than my old 335d.

MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - legacylad
Good to know the Mini was reliable.,.I’ve heard lots of horror stories.

I test drove a 128ti, in my fav colour, Misano Blue. Lloyds BMW in south Lakes. It was nice, went very well, and was practical. Came very close to buying it but no price negotiation by the dealer so I walked.

Then I drove a GRY and the rest is history.

Still like the 128ti mind…bit more sensible than the 135/140.
Her new car is blue, I think the Misano shade. Not seen it in the flesh as I was busy the day she went to have a look before purchase (The car was at another branch of the dealer and had to be brought over)

The salesman was very impressive, an encyclopedic knowledge of the products he was selling. Quite awesome actually
 MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Runfer D'Hills
Somehow, not by design or anything, just by chance really, I’ve never owned, driven, or even been in a BMW era Mini.
I feel like I should have though, they seem very nice.
Another recently retired friend has stroked his late life crisis by acquiring a John Cooper Works Mini hatchback. He seems to like it very much indeed.
I am though, a bit worried about him, he’s taken to wearing baseball caps while driving it. I’m not sure if there’s a way back from that sort of thing is there?

MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> I am though, a bit worried about him, he’s taken to wearing baseball caps while
>> driving it. I’m not sure if there’s a way back from that sort of thing
>> is there?
>>
>>
>>

No hope. He's just a short time away from a pair of Crocs.
 MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Kevin
Dignitas.
 MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Runfer D'Hills
>> Dignitas.

I’ll speak to his wife and ask if there’s anything to be done to help him. However, if things get, well, to a point of no return so to speak, perhaps she’ll do me a deal on the Mini when it’s all over eh?
;-)
 MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Boxsterboy
>> Still like the 128ti mind…bit more sensible than the 135/140.
>>

No 1 son has bought a 1-owner 10-year old M235i. He's loving it, but then he is only 24 so doesn't need to be sensible yet!
 MINI - Clubman. MIN gone. - Kevin
>The interior trim is a cut above the MINI's and feels very premium.

I bought a 440 in March and the quality of the interior is pretty good but it isn't up to Jag standards.
Had one drive, we're both in the grip of Covid although not ill. A fine little motor, we pinned down by slower cars on the run, but it's a lovely little (not so little these days) car.
Well it all went down a very unexpected road. As mentioned elsewhere she broke her (left) ankle badly and it's been a difficult few weeks ! I ended up driving the car an awful lot - put quite a few miles on in looking after the needs of 4 people and a dog.

Impressions have firmed up.

It's a lovely looking motor in its' M series blue, the interior is great feels quite premium, her brother (and her before her accident) complained about the driver's seat comfort. I found it no better or worse than any other car I've owned, Volvo seats seemed to suit me best, while the Audi's are very comfy. Slightly snatchy from first engaging the Drive, right foot needs to be very gentle. Useful is the Auto-Hold, not quite as smooth as the Audi's but it's good. The car can be driven smoothly at low speeds, performance is brisk and can be very quick. The 8 speed auto is not quite as smooth as previous BMWs for some reason. Steering wheel buttons are not as tactile as the Audi's or the Mini...This is a FWD car, oddly good to be fair. Caught myself under a notoriously slippery roundabout the other day treating the throttle as if the car was RWD....how strange. Handling is good, ride quite firm. Fuel economy is around 40mpg, despite the generally excellent roads around here.

It carries 4 passangers in comfort, despite being a bit of a climb for elderly f-i-l to get in and out.

She is back driving now (despite being in a boot)

Lovely "real" sound to the exhaust from the outside, especially from the outside ! There is a fake exhaust sound through the excellent "premium" sound system...caught me out the first time as it sounded like a fast car somewhere within range !

Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 29 Sep 24 at 17:32
Latest Forum Posts