Motoring Discussion > Advice for long journey south... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 59

Advice for long journey south... - legacylad
I rarely drive long distances in the U.K at one go....but surprisingly I’ve two trips to Crowborough ( Sussex) from Settle in the space of a few months.
Off this Sunday to stay at friends and spend a week walking an area I’ve never visited....daily walks already planned by my friends with ‘ foul weather alternatives’.

Google maps shows two routes, similar time and distance, M1 or M6 initially. Then we’re into unknown territory....I have zero knowledge of the road system south of Birmingham so I’ll be using Apple Car Play to get me to journeys end, although one route takes me close to Duxford, which I may visit on my return and get B & B locally to make a day of it. If it’s worthwhile a visit.

Any advice on the approx best route would me much appreciated....hate long motorway journeys but need an early Sunday start to arrive early afternoon for a planned half day walk .

Roll on September/ October for Crowborough > Newhaven >Dieppe > A few French national parks, Andorra, Malaga, C Blanca and return from Bilbao. That’s more my kind of leisurely motoring.
 Advice for long journey south... - zippy
Heading south, I would take the M40 / M25 as opposed to the M1 / M25 / Dartford Crossing Route.

It's just my preference and I find the M40 and easier drive than the M1 / M11.

If you do decide to cross the bridge / use the tunnel, set up an account with the Dartford Crossing, it saves the hassle of trying to remember to pay it within the required timeframe.

Went to Duxford about 10 years ago, can't remember the details and I took the lad. I recall that it was a full enjoyable day.

Crowborough: Ashdown Forrest, Hever Castle, South Downs / Cuckmere River.
 Advice for long journey south... - Crankcase
Just to counter, I’ve had so much hassle with a Dartford Crossing account that I’ve eventually managed to cancel it. That made it all work again for me, so I was able to simply prepay a fiver for the next two crossings against my reg, with a payment receipt and everything.

With the account, it refused to ever let me see any crossings I made, so I couldn’t pay at all. Entering the reg said no crossing had been made. Ringing them resulted in them saying THEY could see the crossing, with no explanation why I couldn’t, and yes, I was late paying…

I’d not have an account again as an irregular user.

We were in Duxford last week, non flying day but still Spitfire takeoffs and landings, a Dragon Rapide flying, as well as all the static stuff.

We had a look at the cost of a Spitfire flight. The prices for the various private flights starts at a few hundred and go to a few thousand, so it’s probably not an impulse purchase.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 3 Jul 24 at 07:18
 Advice for long journey south... - bathtub tom
>> one route takes me close to Duxford, which I may visit on my return and get B & B locally to make a day of it. If
>> it's worthwhile a visit.

I'd say it certainly is and also, time permitting, dropping into Shuttleworth for a coffee stop. You can just drive in on non show days and use the cafe. There's usually stuff flying around and you may decide it's worth the entrnance cost to see the whole collection for a later visit.
 Advice for long journey south... - Bromptonaut
I'd say M6/M40/M25 west too.

Not been to E Sussex for ages but if we're bound for Dover times/miles are pretty much the same via that route as via Dartford. May be luck of the draw but congestion at the Dartford Crossing is worse coming north through the tunnels with the QE2 bridge usually OK.
 Advice for long journey south... - tyrednemotional
The problem with Sunday travel is that, though traffic may be nominally lighter, you're prone to hitting trunk road closures for maintenance. It's always worth checking, and a quick peruse of official data for the various routes you might take doesn't throw anything up for this Sunday, though.

Though the M40 is generally OK, I dislike the upper reaches of the M6 with a vengeance, so I'd personally take the Eastern route (which we use fairly regularly from here). The lower reaches of the M1 have long stretches of long-running road works and restrictions, which make it unpleasant, so:

Cut across to the A1 (via Harrogate or Bradford to your preference), then South to the A14/M11/M25/Dartford Crossing/A21/A26 to Crowborough via Royal Tunbridge Wells.

This is the route which would take you past Duxford, which, though it was some time ago, I remember enjoying visiting.

Dartford has a potential for a pinch point, as has the long-running bridge works at Darrington on the A1, though recent experience of early Sundays on the latter mean it probably won't be a problem.

A Dartford crossing paygo account is easy and free to set up, and avoids you having to remember to pay.

SWMBO hails originally from Ashdown Forest, and we occasionally take the 'van to Crowborough to visit friends in the area. There are some decent walks around if you know where to look, and you might get to play "Pooh sticks".

If it rains, you can always use your bus pass and have a day out in Brighton ;-)
Hopefully google maps on the day may reflect any road closures, maintenance work delays ?

Strange how I’ve looked at advised routes 3 times in 3 days, and all different. Both A1 & M6 on different days, and the eastern route took me over ( or possibly under, I don’t know) the Thames adjacent to the 02 arena.

All very different to driving around Swaledale, Dentdale and the Mallerstang valley north to Kirkby Stephen from the Hawes road.

Don’t suppose I’ll encounter slurry trailers or escaped sheep as I did on the backroads to Clitheroe on Monday via Tosside, Slaidburn and Dunsop Bridge en route to Holmes Mill for ‘sup it dry’ day at £2.25 pint.
Aren’t bus passes great :-)
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 3 Jul 24 at 08:36
 Advice for long journey south... - martin aston
It’s a bit of a lottery. On a journey like that the traffic conditions will vary as congestion can pop up at any time. So keep checking at each stop and have a plan B/C/D. Stating the obvious but I carry a road atlas as well as satnav as it’s better for giving an overview if you need to replan.

Just a thought, if it’s this Sunday, both the M1 and M40 will have Silverstone traffic. I have been caught on the A43 (which links both motorways) due to that. I am not sure how much it affects the motorways but someone who knows the area might be able to comment.
Usual GP plan is that the A43 is closed from Towcester to the M40 other than for Silverstone traffic with both carriageways used in the relevant direction towards the event.

M1 and M40 usually not too bad though probably best to avoid peak times, particularly at the end of Sunday's event(s).
 Advice for long journey south... - Zero
Having a fair amount of Surrey/Sussex to and back from the lands of the north where the black rocks stand guard against the cold sea, and the nights are very long and dark. your reliable and easy choice is M6, M42/M40, M25 south round the west (Heathrow) side. to M23, or M1- M25 east side (dartford) M23. Easy journey IF IF IF IF

You hit the M25 by 14:00 - 14:30 LATEST

If you don't you are rogered on the west by the jam from Staines J13 to A3 J10, or dartford crossing & roadworks M25 j3 to J6
Thanks all... I was aware of potential Silverstone traffic, but not unduly concerned.

It appears that I need to take a packed lunch, eat it at my friends in Crowborough then we are off for an afternoon walk.
Looks like I’ll have to set my alarm for an early night, and no alcohol early doors Saturday if driving at crack of dawn.

M6 it is then....bought my Vitara from Coopers the Skoda dealer in Birmingham last July so a close visitation 12 months on. Hoping for 50 mpg over two long motorway journeys, plus running around down South. If a wet day I won’t bother visiting Brighton.
>>. If a wet day I won’t bother visiting Brighton.
>>

...bus pass to Lewes for a pint of Harvey's, then. ;-)
If it's a dry day I wouldn't bother visiting Brighton. Arundel is nice.
...he doesn't have to have a dry day if he uses the bus... ;-)
Lewes and Arundel then if it’s wet, or we have a rest day....many thanks for that. Appreciated.

My knowledge of that part of the world is zilch...I thought Lewes was a seaside village, probably getting it confused with Looe slightly to the West.
 Advice for long journey south... - CGNorwich
Took me 7 hours last Friday to get from Eastbourne to Norwich. 40 minutes queuing for the Dartford crossing. Roads from M25 to South Coast are pretty appalling.
>> Took me 7 hours last Friday to get from Eastbourne to Norwich. 40 minutes queuing
>> for the Dartford crossing. Roads from M25 to South Coast are pretty appalling.
>>

Similar, from just along the coast to Norwich. It usually took anywhere between 5 and 8 hours.
 Advice for long journey south... - martin aston
Once you are in the area the lack of a decent east-west coastal route also becomes apparent. When I lived in Brighton (well worth a visit) getting to the south Kent coast was fastest, but much further, if you went back up to the M25 rather than following the coast.
I see Arundel has been mentioned. I’ve stopped off there a few times. If you’re passing then drop in but I wouldn’t say it’s worth a special trip. It looks impressive as you approach, like a French chateau town. Once there though it’s not going to take you long to wander round unless you do the castle or the excellent Wetland Centre.
Final question. Motorway until I leave the M25 to join the A21….I’ll need some breakfast after 3 hours, so any recommendations, or are all motorway services en route rip off with rotten bacon sandwiches ?
M6, M40, M25 route
 Advice for long journey south... - smokie
What are you hoping for? You could always look up to see if there's a Wetherspoons en route :-)
There is, famously, a Spoons at Beaconsfield Services M40
>> There is, famously, a Spoons at Beaconsfield Services M40

Which is about the 4.5 hours mark. (4 in my beemer now the Vanos solenoids have been changed))

3 hours will see you between Birmingham and Warwick/Stratford turn.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 5 Jul 24 at 08:56
There's the Red Lion just off M1 J16 that gets very good reviews as a truck stop (if you want a doorstep butty).
>> There's the Red Lion just off M1 J16 that gets very good reviews as a
>> truck stop (if you want a doorstep butty).

A couple of miles from here.

Not been there recently but the site did ultra cheap diesel in the mid nineties. Around 43p/litre wen it was nearer 50 otherwise.
Sorted. Toby Carvery @ Knowle about 3 miles off M42 J5. I went on the Toby website and put in Warwick then got out my old paper road map….
Probably a year since I had a fried brekkie but they open at 9AM when I hope to arrive so less change of congealed sausages and burnt beans.
Looks about half way to Crowborough
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 5 Jul 24 at 10:57
 Advice for long journey south... - Slightlyfatdirector
Your friends in Crowborough will know where you should visit so I would trust their judgement. I am less than 20 mins to the south so know the area a bit and so for others can give a very quick (and personal) summary.

In the town itself there is little there other than barbershops and a statue of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle who lived there. Opposite a 'Spoons.

You have Tunbridge Wells c.15 mins to the north (a tale of two halves -an attractive bit at the bottom of town towards and including the Pantiles and at the top of the hill is the more commercial part which is a rather desolate shopping area of which a number of big brands left so lots of empty shops and is soulless).

In Crowborough you are very close to the Ashdown Forest. Pooh Sticks bridge can be a nice walk from one of many carparks and look out for quaint things like little houses up in the trees that are lived in by Winnie the Pooh's friends. Occasionally you will see people have left jars of honey at the bottom. I kid you not. Only in England.... :) .

Lewes is nice enough (again a top and bottom of hill town which has a lot of antique shops at the bottom - near the excellent Harvey's brewery and the first ever Bill's restaurant (good). A quirky town.

Brighton is quite a bit further south and personally I find a lot of it quite grotty - especially on the outskirts, although the The Lanes are nice if you can pick a quiet day (rammed on a sunny weekend unless you start earlier in the morning. Most of the place is nursing a hang-over until lunchtime I think). The seafront is nice enough. Parking there is as expensive as anywhere I have ever been.

Eastbourne is really forgettable, Hastings would be a trek - and other then the old town where the fisherman are based (and you can buy the freshest catch close to a number of independent shops and restaurants) there is nothing else of merit.

Close to Eastbourne there is Seven Sisters and the famous (infamous?) Beachy Head where you can see lots of people risking life and limb walking up to the edge of the fast receding chalk cliff edge. More than one has disappeared over the edge taking a selfie...
>> Eastbourne is really forgettable, Hastings would be a trek - and other then the old
>> town where the fisherman are based (and you can buy the freshest catch close to
>> a number of independent shops and restaurants) there is nothing else of merit.
>>

Don't diss Hastings. It has it's problems but there are some great attractions in the town and nearby. The old town is great. You can spend several days exploring the area. There is also the excellent country park and pretty nearby village of Winchelsea and the small but very quaint town of Rye. There is also Hastings Castle, the Smugglers caves and the True Crime museum. The Kent and East Sussex Railway is nearby and Bodiam Castle is a short drive away - the typical castle - often provided as a back drop when anyone wants a castle in a picture. Battle Abbey is a few miles to the north (site of 1066 battle).
When joining the A21 from the M25 clockwise or anti clockwise, you need to be in either of the two right hand lanes of the M25 and not the left hand lanes. It catches many out and there are often last moment lane changes.

It seems that you have decided to go clockwise round the M25, be careful on the bridge at Dartford, it’s 50mph and there are average speed cameras. Most of the M25 has speed cameras.

If you do go anti clockwise you join the A21 via the M26. You’re on the M26 for a very short time.
The slip road that links to the A21 is a very tight loop and again catches some out. Recommend accelerating up the hill when the loop straightens out to match the speed of cars heading south from the clockwise M25 /A21 junction.
Appreciated. I’m planning on going anticlockwise on M25
MY friends are members of my Spanish walking group, the CBMW, and walk leaders to boot. All of us staying at their place, between 8 & 10 I think, are members so walking is priority.
Walks arranged for every day…they have even been out cutting back overgrown paths( like we in the Cutting Crew do in Spain).
Communal dining alternate evenings…wonder if there is a good cheap curry house with Formica tables and no cutlery ?
>>wonder if there is a good cheap curry house with Formica tables and no cutlery ?

One of the best curries I've ever had was in that sort of establishment, in Brick Lane. 'Sorry, we don't have an alcohol licence, but if you go to my cousin next door, he will give you a discount'.

Just a few doors up from a chrome, glass, leather seats and mirrors place.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Fri 5 Jul 24 at 22:19
Best laid plans.,.
Felt out of sorts Thursday, worse Friday, dog ruff Saturday.
Tested positive….not welcome at a house full of friends down south.
I’ve tested positive several times previously but always been asymptomatic…I’m still testing positive, but hoping to travel next few days once negative.
Drat.
 Advice for long journey south... - Runfer D'Hills
Get well soon. Were you/Will you take the Toyota Tamsmaniandevil or the Suzuki Slowbutsure?
....it'll be the Suzuki Virustara.....
Definitely Suzuki
GRY isn’t a motorway car,.
Fabulous ear to ear grin on B roads…can’t bear to sell it. Yet.
A fairly long time ago now, a guy I knew was starting to do quite well for himself. He was a car nut and had always coveted a Lamborghini.
Well, one day he decided he could afford one and got a new Diablo.
However, he hardly ever drove it, preferring instead to use his old van for most purposes. I remember asking him why he didn’t use it more and he admitted that he couldn’t really say. He just saw it as an occasional treat thing.
Each to their own of course, but I see possessions as things for using or they aren’t really worth having. Time waits for no man and all that.
Indeed it doesn’t. As I know only too well with my father dying suddenly when I was 21yo.
My 96yo mum has finally had to go into a care home due to her deteriorating Alzheimer’s…no amount of thrice daily care and companions, and daily visits from yours truly, could defer it any longer.
£1600 pw in fees, I’ll have to sell her home later this year in order to fund it….i now have more spare time and once I test negative I’ll be returning to Cyprus, hopefully Friday at latest , to escape the dismal weather and enjoy my kind of open water swimming. My days of saving for a rainy day ended a long time ago.

GRY gets plenty of use round and about…frequent trips to Lakes for my walks, and up the north Pennines where it’s in its element on B roads.
650miles there and back, mostly on motorways wouldn’t be such fun….firmer ride being the main drawback, and road & tyre noise worse than the Vit.
Sounds like a plan. Got into daily open water swimming a few weeks ago in the south of France. Confining myself to a swimming pool now we’re back. Still, there’s enough summer left to go away again soon.
Speaking of things that seem like occasional indulgences, and indeed as discussed here before, I was only reflecting last night that I don’t seem to wear my “posh” watches anymore. I find I default to my plastic digital one pretty much every day now. A mere 7 months into retirement and I seem to have stopped being, or trying to be who I was, and feel much more comfortable not having to try to be who I am. If that makes any sense.
The digital one is always 100% accurate because it picks up a radio signal, doesn’t need a replacement battery or winding because it runs on solar power, it’s waterproof, has a compass, a stopwatch and all manner of other cool (to me) features. Ugly s.o.b. though! But I really don’t care.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 9 Jul 24 at 13:56
Are you now wearing trainers or Crocs?
I think he's wearing a smile....
Probably not wearing anything in the south of France…
>> Probably not wearing anything in the south of France…

We did, quite by accident, end up briefly on one of “those” beaches. Some of its occupants were easy enough on the eye, but rather too many of them looked as if they needed ironing.
>> We did, quite by accident, end up briefly on one of “those” beaches. Some of
>> its occupants were easy enough on the eye, but rather too many of them looked
>> as if they needed ironing.

Joke from well over 50 years ago about an older person streaking.

Two ladies see him go past and one asks the other what that guy was wearing. Don't know she said, but it needed ironing.
>> Are you now wearing trainers or Crocs?

Not every day…
The Skechers Slip-Ons with the dummy laces for the more formal wear I guess.
>> The Skechers Slip-Ons with the dummy laces for the more formal wear I guess.

Not quite there yet, but y’know, they say you should try everything once just in case you like it.
 Advice for long journey south... - helicopter
The quote about trying everything once in case you like it...usually ends .....'except incest and country dancing..'
"Not quite there yet, but y'know, they say you should try everything once just in case you like it."

A dangerous road to go down. My neigbour bought a pair and now seldom wears anything else. He has started wearing a baseball cap as well.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp1bGuiHHs&pp=ygUVc29wcmFub3MgYmFzZWJhbGwgY2Fw
Incest, country dancing and baseball caps?
No, not there yet. ;-)
Anyone into Boolean algebra will note you used "and" and not "or" there.
The whole thing was too disturbing to be on any kind of form.
>> Incest, country dancing and baseball caps?
>> No, not there yet. ;-)

I can claim two out of three.
Hell of a Venn diagram if you include slip on shoes.
:-(
And loud socks....or even no socks.
All my socks are plain black. Makes it easier to find a “pair”!
Dunno about anyone else, but on a tangential note, I find a new socks day instantly feels like it will be a good one. I’d have new socks every day if I could. Actually, I suppose I could, but it would feel a bit too hedonistic.

With experience, classy crock wearers dont wear socks.
Quite the oxymoron. Classy & crock wearers.

Class are my special edition Havaianas featuring Woodstock & Charlie Brown.
Sadly almost worn out.

Loakes & Barkers best kept for evening wear in warm climates.
Works for me.
Class are my Barbour flip flops.
 Advice for long journey south... - Bobby
Humph will be happy to know I haven’t bought any Clarks now for about 5 years!
Don’t need them when WFH!

Incidentally, I have “house” trainers - Adidas trainers that only get worn in house. Treat them as slippers. After a bout of plantar couple years ago I can’t cope with flat slippers so like the support and comfort of a pair of trainers!
 Advice for long journey south... - Ted

After a year's treatment for an ulcer on the sole of my left heel, I was measured up and given a pair of Podartis trainers for free, they are comfy and seem to be very well made. Thank god they're black...I don't do " Snazzy " ! They must have cost a bit but they are no more or less comfortable than a pair of Sketchers trainers I forked out for a couple of months ago.

Tomorrow, I'm back at the foot clinic to be presented with a pair of "best" shoes..again free. I have no idea what they will be like. I have several pairs of comfy but more formal shoes, Hotter, Rieker, etc. I wear gel insoles and none are heavy to wear. Looking forward to seeing the government shoes....perhaps a pair of black brogues ??

I have a nice pair of plain brown Clarkes ( for the country ). They must be 35 years old and quite heavy. I don't think they will ever wear out ! Can't be doing with slippers, the heels are never wide enough to be supportive.
Ted

Latest Forum Posts