Non-motoring > Rob Burrow dies Miscellaneous
Thread Author: sooty123 Replies: 13

Rob Burrow dies - sooty123
news.sky.com/story/rob-burrow-rugby-league-player-who-raised-awareness-after-motor-neurone-disease-diagnosis-dies-aged-41-13146870

Rob Burrow dies age 41 from MND. He raised the profile of MND and raised several million for research into the disease.
 Rob Burrow dies - Fullchat
An end to this very sad and public journey.

Particularly moving when his team mate Kevin Sinfield carried him over the finish line of the Leeds Marathon last year.

RIP Rob Burrows.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 2 Jun 24 at 22:23
 Rob Burrow dies - Bromptonaut
I'd never been aware of him until I heard of his death on the radio this morning.

Inspiring story.
 Rob Burrow dies - CGNorwich
There seems to be a pretty clear link between MND and playing Rugby. Can’t do you any good getting regularly hit on the head.
 Rob Burrow dies - Bromptonaut
>> There seems to be a pretty clear link between MND and playing Rugby. Can’t do
>> you any good getting regularly hit on the head.

Not heard that link before although footballers and dementia seems well proven.

Are there other rugger players with MND?
 Rob Burrow dies - Lygonos
Doddie Weir of course.

academic.oup.com/brain/article/146/5/1745/7077743

Some links in studies between sports and intense physical activity and MND/ALS though causation far from proven.

Perhaps nerve damage caused by oxidative stress under anaerobic conditions in particular? i.e. repeatedly undertaking sprinting type activity where your body needs more energy output than your lungs can immediately provide oxygen for, rather than running at a sustainable rate.

Probably not from head impacts - may explain why cross-country skiers are also possibly at increased risk despite the lack of beatings.

The flipside of course is exercise improves cardiovascular health more than the risk of MND.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 3 Jun 24 at 09:40
“The flipside of course is exercise improves cardiovascular health more than the risk of MND.”

It is of course perfectly possible to take cardiovascular exercise without constantly hitting your head.
 Rob Burrow dies - Lygonos
>> It is of course perfectly possible to take cardiovascular exercise without constantly hitting your head.

Is probably not the head impacts if there is a link with MND, more the intense anaerobic bursts during the sport.

Dementia on the other hand (and faaaar more common than MND) likely is the brain bashing.
 Rob Burrow dies - legacylad
Think I’ll stick to walking, although the distances are becoming shorter, and I no longer walk with a few folks who seem intent on breaking records for speed walking.
I like to chat with friends, and if out of breath I’m going too fast....regular stopping to admire views, albeit only for a minute or two, is something I increasingly do these days.
www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/news/concerning-links-between-former-international-rugby-players-and-neurodegeneration-revealed/#:~:text=They%20found%20that%20for%20former,more%20likely%20to%20develop%20MND.

Doddle Weir and Carl Webb spring to mind.
 Rob Burrow dies - maltrap
David Niven also comes to my mind.
 Rob Burrow dies - R.P.
The story even melted my heart....a real hero
 Rob Burrow dies - Rudedog
Surprised no one has mentioned Stephen Hawking.
 Rob Burrow dies - Fullchat
His final message.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQ1j5x92zM
Latest Forum Posts