Non-motoring > Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 8

Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - zippy
Just picked Mrs Z up from the station after a day trip to London with her girlfriends.

The train was almost 30 minutes late so I suggested she claimed back a proportion of her ticket.

She had the same idea and told the barrier guard who insisted the ticket be fed through the machine, which of course retained the ticket. Barrier guard sniggered and refused to retrieve it.

Mrs Z didn't want to make a scene so left.

I think that's a very poor show from the rail company and their staff.

Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - legacylad
30 minutes late ...

I’ve sat on planes on the tarmac for an hour recently waiting for push back and didn’t expect any compo.

You’re not serious ?
Initially I thought you were. Silly me.
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 21 May 23 at 21:31
 Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - Terry
Stuck in a traffic jam on the motorway for 2 hours due to an accident 2 miles ahead.

Simple - sue the at fault driver for your wasted time and inconvenience.

Implicit in all travel is the risk of delay. Even the regulated airline industry only have to provide compensation and/or food vouchers etc for complete cancellation or when delays stretch to many hours.
To be fair, sometimes you get the compo automatically.

I flew out of ALC five weeks ago on a RYR flight. There had been a technical problem with the inbound, so the flight was delayed by 3 hours. I received a message on my phone with a €4 electronic voucher to use at the airport...it’s better than nothing and almost paid for 2 refreshing bottles of agua con gas.

Being a Yorkshireman I know where the free water fountain is at ALC, and the outside seating area, although you have to be a Budweiser Bar customer to use this area. Soft drinks also available in case you think I drink Bud !!
 Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - Duncan
>> You’re not serious ?
>> Initially I thought you were. Silly me.
>>

I bet he is serious.

Never underestimate the run-ins Zippy can have with authority.
 Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - Fursty Ferret
>> 30 minutes late ...
>>
>> I’ve sat on planes on the tarmac for an hour recently waiting for push back
>> and didn’t expect any compo.
>>
>> You’re not serious ?
>> Initially I thought you were. Silly me.
>>

Why not claim? If you can't run a train on a line that's dedicated to you within half an hour of schedule, you should damn well have to pay compensation to the passengers, especially given the cost of the tickets.

It can be exploited though. I used to book tickets with a 5 minute connection at York, rely on the train being a bit late (as it invariably was) and do the delay repay claim while having a coffee in Costa while waiting for the next train. It extended the journey by 25 minutes, but was worth it to save £120.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 22 May 23 at 09:15
lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipM0Zd0AhBPchfBNSJdjS-K9vt-_dc3m5S1zmQkd=w296-h220-n-k-no

I regularly meet Geordie friends in the York Station Tap before going toThe Maltings for their extraordinarily hot chilli
 Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - zippy
I don't always claim for delayed trains, it depends on the circumstances.

If I'm afforded a chance to catch up on some snoozing or to finish a chapter then all is fine.

If it's standing room only and the driver is hacking down the line trying to make up time then that's a different matter.

The biggest sin for me though is when they deliberately miss the smaller stations, knowing that they will have less claims from larger numbers at bigger stations which has meant that I have had to go 3 stations past my stop and await a train back or divert my lift home, which puts two people out.
 Delay Repay Ticket Not Kept - bathtub tom
I agree with Zippy. I always claim, when I can. IIRC, the last time I claimed, I didn't need the ticket, just stated I was on it. A stupid system, wide open to abuse.

I don't make the rules, I only play by them!
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Mon 22 May 23 at 16:54
Latest Forum Posts