Motoring Discussion > Smart Motorways. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 9

Smart Motorways. - Falkirk Bairn
The M90 was built in stages. Just north of the Forth Bridges, was built in the early 1960s - no hard shoulder! Overbridges, underbridges, slip roads etc etc. The bulk of the 30+ miles to Perth has hard shoulders but built/ upgraded to hard shoulders in the 70s+.

The few miles from the river to past Kinross still makes me feel uneasy without the hard shoulder. After the Perth junction the motorway gives way to a dual carriageway all the way to Aberdeen - I do not really have the same concerns on the dual carriageway road.

I used to travel to Aberdeen say 2 x per month before I retired and found the dual carriageway OK. I did, however, come upon an accident when a saloon car drove up the back of a tractor with ploughshares on the back, 7pm ish and dark night - the car driver was decapitated.

I had seen nothing other than the outcome until I rounded a slight bend on the dual carriageway - the flashing amber tractor light was on when I got there BUT I am not so sure it was on when the car ran into the tractor. Neither was anyone else in the 4/5 cars that stopped in the layby that was next to the accident scene.
 Messages Author Date
 Smart Motorways.  Zero 16 Apr 23 22:13
 Smart Motorways.  zippy 17 Apr 23 00:18
 Smart Motorways.  Falkirk Bairn 17 Apr 23 06:45
 Smart Motorways.  Bobby 17 Apr 23 07:30
 Smart Motorways.  Boxsterboy 17 Apr 23 23:01
 Smart Motorways.  Zero 18 Apr 23 09:26
 Smart Motorways.  Fursty Ferret 26 Apr 23 09:31
 Smart Motorways.  Zero 26 Apr 23 11:02
 Smart Motorways.  smokie 18 Apr 23 10:30
 Smart Motorways.  Runfer D'Hills 18 Apr 23 10:58
Latest Forum Posts