Non-motoring > HMS Hero on Youtube. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 18

HMS Hero on Youtube. - Zero
From 1973, the complete series of Warship.

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdpqz-8kHRuCLKGDrlXveD2DDTj_B9p9l

Very much of its time, a little gung ho, with much co-operation from the RN (when they had ships), very high production values, its a dated (50 years old now remember) but good watch IMHO

Grab it while it is still freely available.
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - Manatee
Excellent.
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - R.P.
Brilliant series, excellent flying sequences from a tiny Wasp (that eventually disabled a submarine in the real world) to the Fleet Air Arm Phantoms. Nice to see that one of the squadrons mentioned is being "stood up" to be equipped with F35 which would have looked like Science Fiction to the F4 pilots.

3/4 of the way through series 1.
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 20 Mar 23 at 22:34
It gets better, we get low level Nimrods, Arc Royal, and a glimpse or two of Buccaneers
There is even a glimpse (I think) of a Sea Vixen as a airborne target tug.

Alas season 4 falls apart somewhat, so make hay with S1-3
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - bathtub tom
I thought all the Bucaneers had been taken out of service after the first Gulf war, where they did excellent service laser targetting.
I also understood the last flying Sea Vixen was unrepairable after a 'wheels up' landing a few years ago.
This is 1973/4/5.
Episode 1 Series 2. An "invasion" of Norway shows UK Naval doctrine as it still is. Beautifully produced.
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - Bromptonaut
I'd forgotten this programme. Regular weekly watching for the whole family...
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - CGNorwich
Ha a quick watch. Seemed really dated
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - sooty123
At 50 years old tv, I'd be surprised if it wasn't.
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - BiggerBadderDave
Not a patch on the classy Triangle. No Kate O'Mara in a bikini.
>> Ha a quick watch. Seemed really dated

Thats like saying films like Anne of a Thousand Days, or Zulu, or 1917 are "dated"
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - CGNorwich
Well they are aren't they? Very much of their era. Not to say they are not good films but art alway reflects the period in which it was produced.

Anyway did you not yourself say "its a dated (50 years old now remember" in your original post.
one is always unable to put ones personal history, in a historical context.

And I know why, its perfectly illustrated in this series. Clothing. Check out the ratings clothing when they go ashore. In the 70s you could always spot matelots at Waterloo, fresh off the ship. Overly trendy clothing, 18 months to two years off the fashion front, wrong hair style. (the 70s was a wave of rapidly changing fashion trends). I remember wearing similar fashion, but in the correct period. The sudden dropping of flairs was a wardrobe shock, nothing instantly dated you more.

My 35 year old son does not look at 50 year old stuff, the same way this 68 year old bloke does.

How we view history, history we have experienced, is fascinating. When does experience become history. A conundrum that becomes bigger the longer we live.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 22 Mar 23 at 08:24
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - Kevin
>How we view history, history we have experienced, is fascinating. When does experience become history.
>A conundrum that becomes bigger the longer we live.

FFS Zero, it's 9am on a Wednesday morning. You been up all night gazing at the stars with Phil O'Sophicle?
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - bathtub tom
>> FFS Zero, it's 9am on a Wednesday morning. You been up all night gazing at
>> the stars with Phil O'Sophicle?

How do you tell if someone's been playing with AI? Perhaps Zeddo's lost his flair, or maybe just flared out?

>> FFS Zero, it's 9am on a Wednesday morning. You been up all night gazing at
>> the stars with Phil O'Sophicle?

I think its called sobriety, I'll be fine when the pubs open.
 HMS Hero on Youtube. - legacylad
Talking of which..train to York today for light refreshment with ‘old’ pals. Lunch and a few sherbets.
Sensible head on so less than a gallon…big walk int’Dales tomorrow
Been watching more episodes. The RN resources must have been immense - some thoughtful storylines, not least the episode where the graduate Officer wanted out of the RN, his talk of a lack of war echos down the years, the script-writers handled it well, little did they know that the UK would have a real shooting war 8 years later. Realy well made.
Latest Forum Posts