Motoring Discussion > M25/A3 overnight closures Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 15

M25/A3 overnight closures - henry k
M25 and A3 drivers face 28-mile diversion as overnight closures start

tinyurl.com/yth368e5
(Get Surrey map)
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Zero
They are of course the posted diversions. Google maps will divert you with little increase in mileage.
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Kevin
When they were P'ing around with the M25/M3 junction with overnight closures and lane restrictions, Google Maps was the only reliable source of traffic info.
Nothing on the highways website, gantries or diversion signs was correct. They had diversions to slip roads that were also closed, closures outside the stated hours and diversions that would have looped back on themselves.

It was a complete mess.
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Duncan
I was driving home last night just after 10p.m. alomg M3/M25. I saw the "J10 closed" notice on the gantry just in time and came off at J11, then home through Weybridge. Made very little difference to my arrival time at The Towers.
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Boxsterboy
I appreciate the A3/M25 road works will inevitably cause delay. However, and I don’t know when they did this, but this morning I drive down the A3 to join the M25 (on the way to Kenilworth) and in their wisdom the Highways Agency contractors have reduced the 3-lane roundabout at the junction down to 1 lane! Result? Massive queues on all approaches to the junction. And they’re not actually doing any work on the roundabout!?

I don’t know how long this will last, but you have been warned!
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Duncan
I went through there this morning and it was chock a block. Luckily I saw the congestion in time and got into the right hand lane and stayed there. The queue down to the A3/M25 roundabout, J10 was painful.
 M25/A3 overnight closures - Zero
Get used to it, its with us for 2 years. It is a very extensive and complicated rebuild and remodling, over quite a large area along the A3.

nationalhighways.co.uk/our-roads/south-east/m25-junction-10/

A3 closures - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2levg9w7jo

"....the A3 will be closed near the M25 junction 10 in both directions from the evening of 13 October to the morning of 16 October."
 A3 closures - wotspur
Living close by this is a daily nightmare - there’s no point getting on at junc 10 to go to Gatwick , it’s a good 40 min wait , as people going right to Heathrow utilise the left lane . Also I wrote to SCC about the lane closure OFF the A3 , at Painshill , they installed a barrier to take two lanes down to one , and for 4/5 weeks it was a temporary plastic barrier - not one bit of work was carried out -with road works down Seven hills Rd it was chaos and those wanting to go right into cobham were severely affected . When I asked the same person at SCC why not remove the lane restriction they replaced it with concrete barriers and still nothing has happened
 A3 closures - Terry
Has anyone else noticed that presumably in pursuit of economy, the highways people only use diversion signs marked "DIVERSION" without describing the diversion the sign is for - eg: DIVERSION A3 SOUTH.

And when you have diverted and returned to the original route, it would help if there was a sign "DIVERSION ENDED".

I've come to the conclusion if one religiously followed diversion signs one could spend a lifetime driving in circles . Tom-to with traffic is the answer and ignore roadside signs.
 A3 closures - henry k
A3 reopens after weekend closure

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cqej00z8776o
Both carriageways reopened at midnight on Monday, several hours ahead of schedule.

Further overnight closures are planned later this week as work is carried out.
 A3 closures - CGNorwich
What’s the longest diversion you have ever suffered? The longest one I’ve had was around 200 miles in Canada some years back. I was driving from Calgary to Jasper but the highway was washed away in a storm at Banff and I was diverted via Edmonton.
 A3 closures - tyrednemotional
...I can't challenge that distance, but I did 30+ miles in Germany in the motorhome some years ago after the Elbe floods, due to a building about to collapse on the main road. The irony was that I wanted to be on a campsite where the entrance was about 50 metres the other side of the blockage.

*subsequently, I found it was possible to ignore a permanent "no motor vehicles" sign and drive along the unmade river bank to get to the campsite (but no further). I'd have had to have gone under the railway bridge, though, and that offered about 2cm clearance over the 'van height - too risky!
 A3 closures - Zero
>> What’s the longest diversion you have ever suffered?

Well if you take a series of ferry cancelations as a diversion, about 350km
 A3 closures - Zero
>> A3 reopens after weekend closure

And all the A3 traffic came through my little Surrey commuter town it was rucking Chaos.
 A3 closures - Boxsterboy
The A3 closure route was through East Horsley. And so of course, as is the way with major diversions like this, there were temporary traffic lights outside the Thatchers Hotel/immigrant hostel leading to major hold-ups. And of course no work was being carried out at the temporary traffic lights.
Latest Forum Posts