Computer Related > VOIP? Computing Issues
Thread Author: Mapmaker Replies: 9

VOIP? - Mapmaker
Hello!

Fibre has apparently finally come to me (the joys of living in central London...), so I'm looking at my options to upgrade from broadband that is barely faster than .

I need a telephone landline purely for my burglar alarm monitoring. It seems that some packages don't include a telephone line. Is there a way of getting, say, VOIP to cover this so I can have a line-free internet package, and not pay for it?

Thanks
 VOIP? - Falkirk Bairn
It depends on the security system and the VoIP provider.

The two most important considerations are the way that your VoIP security system communicates with the monitoring centre, and how the VoIP service gets power.

Old fashioned copper lines get their power from the local exchange who have battery plus back-up generators in order to keep the old phone system working whilst there is a power cut.

With a fibre system the connection is powered by the household supply. Power cuts and the line is dead.

VOIP? - smokie
Relevant but not useful to the OP - I'm with Virgin and they have just mailed me to say I will be switching to VOIP on 11 May, like it or not. One letter said I wouldn't need a new router, the other one said I didn't, but that they'd send me a dongle to plug my phone into.

I called yesterday to see what's what and I don't need a new router but they are sending me an engineer. Couldn't understand why.

Another letter from them this week announced my costs were going up by about 30% for the coming year...
 VOIP? - Mapmaker
Any burglar with half an ounce of sense would cut the telephone lines anyway...

Anyway, the only provider who is actually able to connect me to fibre automatically include a phone line anyway, so the question is dead.

I don't really get it; I'm in central London, within the congestion charging zone. I understand that 95% of the UK population has fibre. We've only *just* got it, and most providers won't connect me to it anyway...
 VOIP? - sooty123
I'd speak to your alarm company, they probably can switch it to mobile rather than landline.
 VOIP? - Zero
>> I'd speak to your alarm company, they probably can switch it to mobile rather than
>> landline.

Yup, its probably upgradeable, and if connected via the net, will offer you shed loads of nice to have features, like remote monitoring, remote reset, activate, disarm, all from the comfort of your mobile phone.
 VOIP? - Zero

>> Yup, its probably upgradeable, and if connected via the net, will offer you shed loads
>> of nice to have features,

And to take full advantage of your new connectivity, add a camera or two.
 VOIP? - smokie
"95% of the UK population has fibre. We've only *just* got it"

That's Levelling Up in action!! :-)

We just had a load of new fibre installed, City Fibre I think, but I understand they won' tactually provide the consumer service, but will lease it to companies who can compete for your business.

Virgin cable arrived here I'd guess in the 90s, with Telecential.
 VOIP? - VxFan
Welcome back Mapmaker.
 VOIP? - Mapmaker
>> Welcome back Mapmaker.

Thanks. Not sure I've ever been away, life's just been rather busy!
Latest Forum Posts