Non-motoring > Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 12

Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - smokie
I need to swap out a TRV which has seized.

Someone mentioned freezing the pipe rather than draining down the system, which has some appeal. Has anyone here done it? This is the stuff.

www.toolstation.com/arctic-hayes-aero-pipe-freezing-kit/p13835

Also, are the jackets re-usable, as the pack says disposable but you can buy more cans of the magic - forward planning on my part!!
Never mind, my next door neighbour is a assisting and will use the vacuum method, whatever thafts is!! He is an ex-plumber...
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - bathtub tom
I've freed off stuck TRVs before by removing the head and gently working the exposed pin up and down.
I believe it's possible to replace the top part of the brass valve without removing the entire valve, with minimal water loss. I saw a youtube video explaining it once, but can't find it now.
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - Duncan
>> I've freed off stuck TRVs before by removing the head and gently working the exposed
>> pin up and down.
>> I believe it's possible to replace the top part of the brass valve without removing
>> the entire valve, with minimal water loss. I saw a youtube video explaining it once,
>> but can't find it now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwh3-JSQxWw&ab_channel=MyBoiler
The pin isn't exactly stuck. It was in the closed position when I got the top bit off, and while I couldn't lift it with my fingernails, a pair of pliers was easy. It goes up and down well enough with the pliers, but it stays in whatever position you let go of it it. I think it must be sprung inside because it ought to be pushing upwards all the time. But it doesn't.

I sprayed it with WD40 and wiggled it a fair bit but no change. I can now easily move it with fingertips, but it just doesn't come back up on its own.

Neighbour says you can create a kind of vacuum (I think by stopping the header tank refilling) and with a few towels around and some nifty finger work he reckons we can do it without draining.

We'll see, on Thursday!!

Thanks for the tips though.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 25 Jan 23 at 00:19
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - martin aston
Maybe too late to offer another suggestion but Silicone spray often frees up better than WD 40. I used it yesterday to free up a sticking lock cylinder.
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - Duncan
>> I sprayed it with WD40 and wiggled it a fair bit but no change. I
>> can now easily move it with fingertips, but it just doesn't come back up on
>> its own.

WD40 is not a lubricant.
>>WD40 is not a lubricant.

It stands for Water Dispersal formula number 40 and does contain an amount of oil.
It came recommended by a bloke on the internet :-)

I guess it is it's penetrating ability which keeps getting it mentioned. Though I imagine anything quite that runny would penetrate OK.

I have some silicone stuff too so I'll give it a squirt but tbh I often think if it's failed now it probably only has a short lifespan remaining. Anyway, I have the new part and a willing neighbour... :-)
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - VxFan
>> WD40 is not a lubricant.

wd40.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/uses-for-wd40/

Several mentions of using it as a lubricant on their website.
Sod's law. I've a rad that's started buzzing/vibrating. It stops if I turn the TRV up or down by a tiny amount, but there's a certain 'sweet' point where it vibrates.
I've a spare TRV and I'll swap the heads.
>> Sod's law. I've a rad that's started buzzing/vibrating. It stops if I turn the TRV
>> up or down by a tiny amount, but there's a certain 'sweet' point where it
>> vibrates.
>> I've a spare TRV and I'll swap the heads.

Just swapped the head and noticed an arrow on the elbow, triggered a memory that this problem can occur if the flow is the wrong way round.
Shonky plumbers!
 Swapping a TRV/freezing pipe - Bromptonaut
>> wd40.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/uses-for-wd40/
>>
>> Several mentions of using it as a lubricant on their website.

It's OK for light lubrication like drawer runners or door hinges but for heavier duties there are better products such as GT85.

In the original Richard's Bicycle Book the late Richard Ballantine recommended WD40 for bike chains but subsequently recanted and suggested other products though availability has changed down the years.
Latest Forum Posts