Computer Related > General Question - Youtube on TV
Thread Author: Dave Replies: 12

General Question - Youtube on TV - Dave
I have an older Samsung TV that I want to use to view Youtube. Its not the latest smart TV with inbuilt apps. It has a few HDMI ports, though.

Am I right in thinking I can buy an AmazonFirestick and use it to watch Youtube on the telly/through the wifi?
 General Question - Youtube on TV - tyrednemotional
...yup..

I have a setup on a dumb TV doing just that.

ISTR that the app isn't preinstalled, so has to be downloaded and installed. (Standard methodology and easy).

My TV has a usb socket which wasn't powerful enough to support firestick setup (use the supplied power adapter) but is/was fine for day-to-day use once setup completed. (i.e. I could then power the firestick from the TV usb port).

Patently, one can also download iPlayer etc. as well if you wish.
 General Question - Youtube on TV - Manatee
That's interesting...never occurred to me that I might be able to unplug the "vampire".

Youtube works well on Firestick.
...seems to be a pretty widespread issue. The thing obviously needs more "ooomph" during setup, but after that most people have found the/a USB socket on the TV is OK. (YMMV)

It has the advantage both of being neater, and switching on/off with the TV.
 General Question - Youtube on TV - VxFan
>> It has the advantage both of being neater, and switching on/off with the TV.

Which could cause you problems if the firestick is in the middle of a software update.

Why you should never power a Fire TV Stick from your TV’s USB port:-

www.aftvnews.com/why-you-should-never-power-a-fire-tv-stick-from-your-tvs-usb-port/
www.androidcentral.com/can-you-power-amazon-fire-tv-stick-through-your-tvs-usb-port
...it's no different from powering it from the dedicated power supply, and turning that off when it isn't in active use....
 General Question - Youtube on TV - Dave
Thanks guys, I’ll give it a go then.
>> ...it's no different from powering it from the dedicated power supply, and turning that off
>> when it isn't in active use....

But how many people turn off the dedicated power supply to their Firestick when they turn off their TV?
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 1 Jan 23 at 20:14
...dunno.... but I would as I do with all devices left unused for anything but a small amount of time. As we're often out for days at a time, it's a good discipline to adopt.

The instructions for mine certainly say you don't have to turn it off, as it will drop into "sleep" mode (in which it continues to look for updates), but that if you wish to turn it off, you can simply pull the usb lead. (no dire warnings about the ceiling falling in or anything ;-) )
 General Question - Youtube on TV - Crankcase
I did this on my fire stick.. You get YouTube without any ads.

www.firesticktricks.com/smarttubenext-on-firestick.html
 General Question - Youtube on TV - Bobby
And remember if you have a smart phone you can select the YouTube videos on that and then send them to your firestick. Depending on what you are watching it’s easier for typing with and lining up the next video.
>> I did this on my fire stick.. You get YouTube without any ads.

Can you log in to this using your same details that you use for YouTube, or is that not advised?

If not, then how does it remember channels subscribed too, saved favourites, etc.
 General Question - Youtube on TV - Crankcase
I could when I first got it. Then it started wibbling about authentication failures.

So to be fair, I tend just run it without logging in when viewing via the Firestick.

Or if I use my PC, logged in to Youtube, because I have Pihole I don't get Youtube ads there either, so covered both ways.
Latest Forum Posts