Non-motoring > Christmas is Cancelled Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 33

Christmas is Cancelled - Zero
AI santa is down

www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-11512283/Amazon-Website-crashes-leaving-thousands-Britons-unable-checkout.html
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 10 Dec 22 at 21:38
 Christmase is Cancelled - smokie
No Amazon, no Evri, how will we cope?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-63874415
 Christmase is Cancelled - Dave_
It's OK, just nip away somewhere for a few days.

Oh... www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63893115
 Christmase is Cancelled - legacylad
Chatting with my Jet2 pal tonight over a few pints of anaesthetic and he reckons you can get a away alright. Returning may prove problematic.

Contingency plans are already in place according to his sources
 Christmase is Cancelled - Bromptonaut
>> Contingency plans are already in place according to his sources

A combination of managers, blacklegs and military assistance to the civil power will keep some sort of show on the road.
 Christmase is Cancelled - tyrednemotional
...on return, you will be diverted to Rwanda for processing ..,
 Christmase is Cancelled - CGNorwich
It looks as though the ferry ports will be OK at least until after Christmas. Pleased about that as driving to Bruges next week.
 Christmase is Cancelled - Runfer D'Hills
Italy next week. Work trip. Can’t wait (not) :-(
 Christmase is Cancelled - Zero
>> Italy next week. Work trip. Can’t wait (not) :-(

Good coffee, great pasta, super pizza, cheap wine, whats not to like
>>what’s not to like…

Airports, I just hate airports.
There are people in them you know. And, you have to sit next to some of them.
>> >>what’s not to like…
>>
>> Airports, I just hate airports.
>> There are people in them you know. And, you have to sit next to some
>> of them.

Lovely wife, I have to go to Italy for work, you wouldn't want me to bring covid back with me now would you. Now that means I have to drive. As you know the Border force will be on strike, so It may take me some time to get home, best route is probably via the Amalfi coast, maybe Sicily. Should make it back for your birthday in March. Have a nice Christmas, I'll try and send you a card.
Inspired! ;-)
>> Inspired! ;-)
>>
Just don’t let her spot all the ski gear in the car. I’d recommend hiding it under your tartan blanket
That thought, or a version of it, hadn’t entirely escaped me…
;-)
 Christmase is Cancelled - BiggerBadderDave
'Airports, I just hate airports. There are people in them you know'

I detest them too.

Yesterday with all that snow, I allowed 5 hours to get from High Barnet to Luton and I arrived at the gate with less than 10 minutes to flight time. I haven't run that fast since I was at school. Apologies to the ditherers I bowled over but you can't beat a strike.

>> I haven't run that fast since I was at school.

Most people run away from Luton Airport quickly. What a SH
 Christmase is Cancelled - smokie
Ha - I used to agree but Luton is my airport of choice (v. Gatwick) these days. They have refurbed and rebuilt it over the past few years. Distance wise it's about teh same as Gatwick for me, and the parking is about the same cos. Just feels less busy, and the Sleazyjet booking in (usually) is slick.
>> Ha - I used to agree but Luton is my airport of choice (v. Gatwick)
>> these days.

I'm roughly equidistant to Luton, Birmingham or East Midlands. Mrs B flew to/from Bologna via Luton. The terminal seemed like a building site although she got through with no trouble. Parking options were thoroughly confusing. Cost a packet but I'd chosen to park near the business end of the runway in use for a bit of plane spotting time.

Luton had reportedly had a kicking recently for being difficult for the disabled though whether that's actually down to the airport or on or another of its dominant operators I don't know.
 Christmase is Cancelled - sooty123
Didn't luton spend loads on a train line that was, timewise, the same to kings cross as Heathrow is? No idea if its bany more popular because of it?
>> Didn't luton spend loads on a train line that was, timewise, the same to kings
>> cross as Heathrow is? No idea if its bany more popular because of it?

There's a station called Luton Airport Parkway on the Midland Main Line/Thameslink. Although it's close to the airport there's an escarpment between them which makes linking them problematic.

Currently there's a shuttle bus but a new light rail link is under construction and has, IIRC, provem more difficult and costly than planned becuase of the topography/geology.

Although named for the airport the station also serves significant housing development too.
>> Currently there's a shuttle bus but a new light rail link is under construction and
>> has, IIRC, provem more difficult and costly than planned becuase of the topography/geology.

Too late to edit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luton_DART
 Christmase is Cancelled - bathtub tom
>> Currently there's a shuttle bus but a new light rail link is under construction and
>> has, IIRC, provem more difficult and costly than planned becuase of the >>topography/geology.

'King Charles had a ride in it last week, although it's not yet opened.
 Christmase is Cancelled - sooty123
I thought it was open. I vaguely remember the airport, its not far from the vx factory i think. The dual carriageway is cut into a hill nearby, (the chilterns?).
 Christmase is Cancelled - bathtub tom
>> I thought it was open. I vaguely remember the airport, its not far from the
>> vx factory i think. The dual carriageway is cut into a hill nearby, (the chilterns?).

The factory's a shadow of its former self, assembling (Renault?) vans with a Bedford badge. Most it's been demolished. There was the printing of (Sun?) newspaper group for a few years, but I think that's gone as well now. IIRC there's a load of housing going in.

Luton sits in a valley, with the airport at the top of the Eastern side. Vauxhall was in the valley below. Useful if the planes landed short, they could bounce in off Vauxhall's roof - as least that's what it felt like sometimes!
.> Luton sits in a valley, with the airport at the top of the Eastern side.
>> Vauxhall was in the valley below. Useful if the planes landed short, they could bounce
>> in off Vauxhall's roof - as least that's what it felt like sometimes!

IIRC there was a near miss with one incident at Luton back in the seventies.
>> It looks as though the ferry ports will be OK at least until after Christmas.
>> Pleased about that as driving to Bruges next week.

Where do you store 400 miles of charging cable?
 Christmase is Cancelled - hjd
Hope you're not looking forward to the Bruges Christmas market. It's absolutely rubbish.
Bruges is also full of British people - which you may or may not find a plus point.
We did like Bruges, apart from the market..
 Christmase is Cancelled - CGNorwich
I visit Bruges most years. In my view one of Europe’s most attractive cities. The Christmas market is certainly not as big as some but it’s hardly “rubbish” Bruges at Christmas is beautiful, full of architectural interest and history. As a major tourist attraction you will of course find all nationalities including British although why I would be upset by the presence of my countrymen I don’t know.

Oh, and the beer is pretty good too as are the restaurants.
 Christmase is Cancelled - Fullchat
Just had a couple of nights away in York with friends staying at an AirBB spitting distance of Bettys (purveyor of fine Fat Rascals). Ideally located for the centre of York.
We let ourselves in from the street and its a large 4 bedded, 3 storey complex house with a mixture of old and new within its building. Massive central staircase leading all the way up to the roof skylight. Internal doors and frames at jaunty angles fitting where they touched
Cold!! doesn't come near it was freezing. Inadequate electric heating interspersed with fan heaters.
Whoever had serviced the house hadn't thought to try and get some heat in the place prior to our arrival.The staircase just sucked the heat out of the rooms. We managed to get some heat into the property, just, by ensuring doors were closed.
In the entrance hall next to the guest information folder was a bowl of earplugs. That didn't bode well. We soon discovered why.
Directly opposite was a 24Hr McDs and despite bedrooms being 3 floors up we were in the thick of the action ALL night. Single glazed sash windows didnt help. Service lorries constant coming and going all night delivery, collecting and crashing their metal mobile crates. Street cleaning and gritting.
Last night being a Friday all the revelers were taking advantage of McD's wares til gone 4am, Couple of street fights and I was contextually reinstated into Public Order duties. How they get a 24 hour permission for a location such as that I just don't know.
Despite all that we had a lovely time. York does Christmas and associated markets very well.
As we walked to the station there were hordes and hordes of visitors disgorging from the trains and coaches. York will be rammed today.
Zero. Mrs FC divulged she had never been to the railway museum so its on our list and a half decent rail connection direct from Hull to York.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 10 Dec 22 at 13:45
 Christmase is Cancelled - zippy
>>Railway museum...

A really interesting place. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit there and surprisingly so did Mrs Zippy.
>> >>Railway museum...

I am very marmite about the NRM and some of its policies. I look at some of the speed monsters in there, sadly, at their cold dead state. I look at Mallard and wonder why 10 million went into Flying Scotsman instead. (5 million wasted before they saw sense and sent it to a commercial loco restorer)

Yet when you dive into their archive, specially the film archive, or go to an Event (Like the A4 great gathering) at the other site at Shildon then you appreciate some of the good stuff they do.
York is so easy to access from Settle...a few days out each year, always starting with a super hot chilli and chips at The Maltings. A few more pubs and final beers in Pivni before the train home.

Annual treat was a Saturday night at the Mount Royale hotel. Girly clothes shopping, liquid refreshment whilst the other half browsed, then vino in the hotel outdoor hot tub before dinner.

York always had a reputation for being full on Friday & Saturday nights so never ventured out.

A lovely place at Christmas. Before 8pm.
 Christmase is Cancelled - BiggerBadderDave
'Girly clothes shopping'

Lacylad?
 Christmase is Cancelled - MD
Suits you Sir :-)
Latest Forum Posts