Non-motoring > Data breach Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 16

Data breach - Crankcase
I'm in the Cambridge Water region, who are owned by Stafford Water

With loads of other people, I just had a letter saying my data got stolen.

They are offering a free account with something called trueidenty by way of a half hearted apology.

I'm reluctant to give out even more info to this third party unless there really is a benefit. There's a lot of blurb with little apparent substance.

Anyone have any experience of trueidentity? Is there any point?
 Data breach - Zero
I'd be going here

www.ashurst.com/en/news-and-insights/legal-updates/quickguide-collective-actions---uk-guide/
 Data breach - maltrap
Today i received the same warnnig letter from my water company
South Staffs Water.
 Data breach - Bromptonaut
Some detail here about what's actually happened:

www.computerweekly.com/news/252527832/South-Staffs-Water-customer-data-leaked-after-ransomware-attack

Bank details available on the dark web.

Personally, as a monitor my account and trust my bank, Santander, to alert me to suspicious transactions I don't think my risk threshold would be crossed but others may feel differently.
 Data breach - maltrap
Just tried ringing my bank (Santander) gave up after waiting on hold to their security section for 20 minutes!
 Data breach - Zero
>> Just tried ringing my bank (Santander) gave up after waiting on hold to their security
>> section for 20 minutes!

DO NOT trust anyone who phones you claiming to be from Santander
>> DO NOT trust anyone who phones you claiming to be from Santander

We've had a couple of security incidents including one where Mrs B's card was used for a subscription to a game site (games not gaming). The initial call was automated and gave a brief description of the transaction inviting us to phone the bank number on the back of our cards.
 Data breach - Kevin
>Personally, as a monitor my account and trust my bank, Santander,...

dataprotectioncompany.co.uk/8-dpc-news-articles/918-santander-fraud-victims-reveal-how-their-lives-have-been-shattered.html

"Santander has told them it is under no obligation to contact customers or stop payments — even if they look suspicious.

In at least one case where Santander became concerned and tried to contact a suspected victim, fraud staff gave up and allowed fraudulent payments to be made when they could not reach the customer by phone."
 Data breach - zippy
>> dataprotectioncompany.co.uk/8-dpc-news-articles/918-santander-fraud-victims-reveal-how-their-lives-have-been-shattered.html
>>
>> "Santander has told them it is under no obligation to contact customers or stop payments
>> — even if they look suspicious.

To be fair that article is from 2017 and the rules on refunds for fraud have changed significantly with many banks having signed up to a "voluntary scheme" to refund fraudulent transactions.

I have added quotes above because whilst the scheme is voluntary, I suspect the banks were put under threat of a major court case or new legislation.

Also the banks are under an obligation to stop transactions that look suspicious and are obliged to report them to the police under anti-money laundering regulations. Of course it depends on the level of suspicion and in one of the cases above, calling the customer and not getting an answer because they didn't pick up would have the affect of stopping the transaction where I work, or at least it should.

Mind you, I reported a fraud on an approx. £1m lend in February 22 and got a call from our Fraud team earlier this week about it as they didn't understand why it was fraudulent!!!

Data breach - Kevin
>To be fair that article is from 2017...

Not difficult to find later examples:

www.ftadviser.com/companies/2022/08/30/santander-customer-loses-almost-5k-in-fraud-incident/
 Data breach - Manatee

>> In at least one case where Santander became concerned and tried to contact a suspected
>> victim, fraud staff gave up and allowed fraudulent payments to be made when they could
>> not reach the customer by phone."

Not very bright is it. If they withhold the payment, chances are that if it matters the customer will contact them in short order.
 Data breach - bathtub tom
I've had a few calls from banking organisations asking me to confirm my security details. I've always told them to take a hike. They've all turned out to be genuine. Why don't they get it?
 Data breach - Manatee
Not had one of those for a while. Maybe they listened to my response! First Direct that was.

Actually it's probably that they now use voice recognition, which is incredible. I've phoned them a couple of times recently, only gave my name and and postcode, and they took my instructions without asking security questions.
 Data breach - Robin O'Reliant
>> Not had one of those for a while. Maybe they listened to my response! First
>> Direct that was.
>>
>> Actually it's probably that they now use voice recognition, which is incredible. I've phoned them
>> a couple of times recently, only gave my name and and postcode, and they took
>> my instructions without asking security questions.
>>

The do. I phoned them earlier this week and the call handler told me there was no need to go through the security questions as my voice pattern matched.
 Data breach - Zero
Insurance companies use voice pattern stress analysis if you phone up to make a claim. They can tell if you are lying.
>> Insurance companies use voice pattern stress analysis if you phone up to make a claim.

They would like to think they can tell if you are lying.

Data breach - Manatee
They would like you to think they can tell if you are lying:)
Latest Forum Posts